None
Deal Fanatic
Jan 9, 2011
5631 posts
5596 upvotes
Vancouver
ZeroCool69 wrote:
Dec 28th, 2018 12:16 pm
So I've been single for just over 2 years and haven't bought myself any new clothes and need to desperately update my wardrobe. I've checked out the local mall here but didn't see anything that caught my eye at bluenotes, American eagle, h&m etc.

Is there any good websites to order from or any stores that I haven't been to? I'm not looking to spend a fortune but it would be nice to have a few new pairs of jeans and something other than wearing my under armour sweaters all the time.

Thanks,
It would help to post if you're looking for men's or women's clothes.
Apr 14, 2017
866 posts
407 upvotes
DT Calgary
holden wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 10:10 pm
Head to toe in Supreme.
OP look no further!
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
8003 posts
3949 upvotes
Toronto
ZeroCool69 wrote:
So I've been single for just over 2 years and haven't bought myself any new clothes and need to desperately update my wardrobe. I've checked out the local mall here but didn't see anything that caught my eye at bluenotes, American eagle, h&m etc.

Is there any good websites to order from or any stores that I haven't been to? I'm not looking to spend a fortune but it would be nice to have a few new pairs of jeans and something other than wearing my under armour sweaters all the time.

Thanks,
you're 40
you should not mention American eagle, ever again.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2011
1675 posts
380 upvotes
daivey wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 11:15 pm
you're 40
you should not mention American eagle, ever again.
hey flannel shirts can be for any age.
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
10650 posts
1689 upvotes
Toronto
Old navy. Good sale going on right now.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1513 posts
192 upvotes
Markham, ON
Another great place to visit is the thrift store.
You can see what lady or men in the past used to wear in their 40s that you might not find in the stores that carry only the latest items.

The quality of the fabric may be better as well. Less science and man made materials back in the days.

It's call shopping. You want to buy something you love to wear.

At the thrift store you will find variety at limited quantities.
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
17545 posts
2867 upvotes
Toronto
You're 40. Time to dress a bit more mature. You should be shopping at places like The Bay, Banana Republic, H&M, etc. You're probably limited by your location, but if you time online sales right you can get some pretty nice stuff pretty cheap.
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
May 13, 2015
394 posts
416 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Piro21 wrote:
Feb 6th, 2019 9:01 am
You're 40. Time to dress a bit more mature. You should be shopping at places like The Bay, Banana Republic, H&M, etc. You're probably limited by your location, but if you time online sales right you can get some pretty nice stuff pretty cheap.
I'll second Banana Republic. I'm 35 and I recently found a bunch of great Banana Republic stuff that I love at Value Village. All their stuff fits me so well.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1513 posts
192 upvotes
Markham, ON
BillyBill wrote:
Feb 6th, 2019 9:09 am
I'll second Banana Republic. I'm 35 and I recently found a bunch of great Banana Republic stuff that I love at Value Village. All their stuff fits me so well.
Value Village price can be quite hefty and they charge taxes.
May 13, 2015
394 posts
416 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Poppwl wrote:
Feb 6th, 2019 5:13 pm
Value Village price can be quite hefty and they charge taxes.
Prices can be good if you find good quality items that fit you well.

They typically price things by the type of clothing. For example, almost all their t-shirts are like $3.50. A used shirt from Old Navy at that price isn't a good deal at all. But I recently bought a nice Frank and Oak t-shirt from a value village for $3.50. Those shirts normally retail for 10x that price.

You've got to have a good eye, a bit of luck, and enough time to go through everything and try lots of stuff on. But the deals are there.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1513 posts
192 upvotes
Markham, ON
BillyBill wrote:
Feb 6th, 2019 7:09 pm
Prices can be good if you find good quality items that fit you well.

They typically price things by the type of clothing. For example, almost all their t-shirts are like $3.50. A used shirt from Old Navy at that price isn't a good deal at all. But I recently bought a nice Frank and Oak t-shirt from a value village for $3.50. Those shirts normally retail for 10x that price.

You've got to have a good eye, a bit of luck, and enough time to go through everything and try lots of stuff on. But the deals are there.
You are speaking to someone who likes to look for deal of the week, combined with coupons and 1.99 t shirts at other thrift stores.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2010
2465 posts
280 upvotes
I will add Tommy Hilfiger to the list. They have a great line of "casual" dress shirts; my favourite cut is called "Custom Fit", but they have a variety. Find a style that fits you well, get a mix of colours (black, blue, pink, red, purple, everything), and it's even better if you have an outlet nearby with sales.

I am 36 so tend to dress more mature. My go-to lineup for days off (weekends) is typically a nice pair of jeans (Silver or Buffalo David Bitton) and a button down long sleeve dress shirt with dress shoes or boots. Henley's are super nice too, as mentioned by another poster above.

Buy a series of belts to match your shoes - one black, one dark brown, one light brown, and any others depending on any unusual footwear colours you might have. Ie. I have a nice pair of navy blue, brogued dress boots so I have a blue belt to match, as well as some burgundy dress shoes and a dark red belt to match.

Buy some nice casual dress shoes; either Brogues or Derbys, but Double Monk strap can look good with jeans too. These take longer to collect because each pair can run you in the hundreds, but you can find decent condition used on Kijiji once in a while too.

As far as where;
I usually find my jeans at Winners.

I keep a constant eye on the Shoe Warehouse/Town Shoes/Shoe Company website clearance and sales pages for deals. Sometimes you can pick up a nice set of shoes or boots for $50-60. My last pair were some very nice Perry Ellis (not great brand for quality, but they look good) derbys for like $40.

The Bay clearance site.

Dressing well isn't cheap, but it doesn't have to be crazy expensive. $300 should get you a decent start on your clothing, and you can keep hunting for shoes and boots as you go.
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2007
2495 posts
721 upvotes
ZeroCool69 wrote:
Does it mean that you are looking to be ... not single anymore? :)

That's a good goal, good motivation.

Dressing well is a reward. Try to spend a good amount of money - not a fortune, but quite a bit.
Avoid disposable fashion, buy quality fabrics, even if they are more expensive.
Buy only items that you really love, even if they are more expensive. You'll feel good when you wear them.
Get advice from friends and family about the styles that suit your age and personality.

I drive a Mazda5, which can be considered a piece of junk by many people, but I wear the best clothes I can afford. :)
Especially my underwear... the best money can buy!!
My rational is that I wear my underpants 24 hours a day... but I only spend like 10 minutes a day in my car... which one is more important??? Obviously, the quality of my clothing.