• Last Updated:
  • Jan 21st, 2020 8:21 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 23, 2017
2020 posts
1006 upvotes

cloud backup service. what do you use and why

I backup my photos to google photos and amazon photos but am looking for a relaible full resolution service. dont mind paying, but what is everyone using. I have about 100,000 family photos so far that I want to keep safe after backing them up in multiple hdds ect.
Got that Zoomer account!
14 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21357 posts
2178 upvotes
1TB amazon storage with Prime. Photos (including RAW) are zero rated and only videos, Lightroom masterdata, etc. count. Costs $60USD/yr for the storage, plus Prime.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 23, 2017
2020 posts
1006 upvotes
Kasakato wrote:
Jan 6th, 2020 11:16 pm
1TB amazon storage with Prime. Photos (including RAW) are zero rated and only videos, Lightroom masterdata, etc. count. Costs $60USD/yr for the storage, plus Prime.
i have a prime account already. it just uploads anything from my phone.

Also I should say that I am also looking for storage of videos as well. amazon photos says i only had 5gb of videos that would save and ive used it up, $24.99 a year for 100gb. i will prob need more but dont want to.pay $150 a year for that. any other options?
Last edited by riseagainstthemachine on Jan 6th, 2020 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Got that Zoomer account!
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21357 posts
2178 upvotes
riseagainstthemachine wrote:
Jan 6th, 2020 11:20 pm
i have a prime account already. it just uploads anything from my phone. can ai manually upload everything from my hdd?

Also I should say that I am also looking for storage of videos as well.
Yup get the desktop app and have it sync. I have an ongoing backup from a network mounted drive.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 23, 2017
2020 posts
1006 upvotes
Kasakato wrote:
Jan 6th, 2020 11:30 pm
Yup get the desktop app and have it sync. I have an ongoing backup from a network mounted drive.
ok great ill do that. any suggestions on how to backup the videos cloud based? should i just shell out the $25 a year? i think at some point I will easily have 100gb+ of videos. is there a better service out there for that,
Got that Zoomer account!
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21357 posts
2178 upvotes
riseagainstthemachine wrote:
Jan 6th, 2020 11:41 pm
ok great ill do that. any suggestions on how to backup the videos cloud based? should i just shell out the $25 a year? i think at some point I will easily have 100gb+ of videos. is there a better service out there for that,
After 100GB there's the 1TB option for $60USD.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2004
3909 posts
551 upvotes
Toronto
I have a Synology NAS and have it set up to back up to Backblaze B2 cloud storage. I pay for the storage I use, right now it costs me about CAD$48 per year for 620GB. Restoring the backup would probably cost me a bit, but I haven't needed to do so, thankfully.
Apr 3, 2010
650 posts
51 upvotes
Toronto
I have over 2TB of DSLR photos and videos and close to 250GB of cell phone photos and videos. I used to use two services – google drive and back blaze but stopped using back blaze and just backed up the DSLR photos and videos to a local NAS but I'm reconsidering.

I pay for the 2TB Google Drive ($140 annually). Why I like Google Drive:
1. Google Photos on cell phones will automatically upload all photos and videos (only RAW and some video formats count towards the storage)
2. Google Photos organization and sharing are really great
3. You can share Google Drive with Family so that they can also take advantage of #1 and #2 above
4. Random free/discounts from the Google Store

Why I don’t like google drive
1. Privacy…
2. Google took away the ability for photos in google photos to show up as a folder in google drive so that you can sync that folder on your computer/NAS

I think I’ll go back to:
1. Synology app on iPhone to upload photos and videos to NAS at full quality
2. Sync DSLR backups to NAS
3. Sync Synology NAS
4. Go down a few tiers on google one and keep google photos are high quality
Deal Addict
May 19, 2005
3512 posts
508 upvotes
Markham
I use Amazon Prime Photo because of the free photo storage including Fuji RAF files. Also backup to my local NAS as well as take a backup drive offsite? I’m looking for another backup solution as a backup to my backup so I’m interested to hear what others are using.
Some people just don't get that online forum posts shouldn't always be taken seriously.
Dec 20, 2008
18 posts
1 upvote
I use Lightroom and they include one TB storage. $9.99 USD/month
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2007
1284 posts
271 upvotes
Bedford
I use Prime Photo and Google Drive. I used to have a big honking Lightroom catalog I backed up locally, but have really culled that back in the past year. I realized that after I deliver photos to clients, I pretty much never reprocess photos after say, 2 weeks. So the jpegs go to the cloud and the raws are gone.

I am doing more and more video lately and would like to get a better solution for that.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 23, 2017
2020 posts
1006 upvotes
baillieul wrote:
Jan 15th, 2020 6:28 am
I use Prime Photo and Google Drive. I used to have a big honking Lightroom catalog I backed up locally, but have really culled that back in the past year. I realized that after I deliver photos to clients, I pretty much never reprocess photos after say, 2 weeks. So the jpegs go to the cloud and the raws are gone.

I am doing more and more video lately and would like to get a better solution for that.
this is what i'm looking for also. seems like most cloud services except for backblaze only allow photos or very limited video space
Got that Zoomer account!