• May 4th, 2010 9:43 am
Deal Addict
May 11, 2005
1604 posts
15 upvotes
Ajax, ON, Canada

Club sobeys Mastercard vs. PC Mastercard - your opinions

Hey guys,

I want to know what were your experiences of either the Club Sobeys MasterCard or the PC MasterCard?

I frequently shop at the Loblaws Superstore in my hometown, but sometimes I go to Sobeys for some certain things that I like. I'm already both members of the Club Sobeys loyalty programme and the PC Points programme (via a bank account that I deal with PC Financial).

I've compared both of those cards and I found out that while I get a $20CDN startup bonus when applying for the PC MasterCard (in the form of coupons?!), the Club Sobeys MasterCard gets me a $10CDN bonus - in the form of Club Sobeys points.

I would also like to have some other alternatives to those cards as well, if you lads can suggest me which card to choose from.

Any suggestions?
Less Negativeness, More Positiveness
Moins des négativités, Plus de positivités
21 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
5903 posts
1024 upvotes
Toronto
You can convert Sobey points to aeroplan points, 2 to 1. Can't do that with PC points.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
1364 posts
49 upvotes
Neither, get the MBNA smartcash card for a 3% cash back return on groceries.
Mar 23, 2004
33100 posts
2103 upvotes
Markham
halflife150 wrote:
Apr 19th, 2010 5:31 pm
neither, get the mbna smartcash card for a 3% cash back return on groceries.
+1.
「もし、奇跡を起こせたら……」
Nov 5, 2009
388 posts
35 upvotes
PCF is a 1% return, I believe Sobeys is less than that, their point conversions are not as simple. Both cards are free.
Mar 23, 2004
33100 posts
2103 upvotes
Markham
mackersdixon wrote:
Apr 20th, 2010 2:38 pm
PCF is a 1% return, I believe Sobeys is less than that, their point conversions are not as simple. Both cards are free.
well sobeys mc has an adv of being a free aeroplan credit card, but thats about it. Sobeys stuff are usually more expensive afaik...
「もし、奇跡を起こせたら……」
Dec 12, 2009
697 posts
32 upvotes
Nova Scotia
If you will be using this card primarily for groceries, then I think the MNBA Smart Cash if by far the best option.

For myself personally, I went with with the Shoppers Optimum Mastercard. The reason? I wanted a card that would earn me points on very small purchases, as I'll only be using the card at Tim Horton's and Shoppers. The sign-up bonus plus a rebate from GCR also netted me ~$85 cashback.
Mar 6, 2010
245 posts
19 upvotes
Yes, the smart cash card will be your best option.... Especially for groceries
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 11, 2005
1604 posts
15 upvotes
Ajax, ON, Canada
Well I don't mind cashback, but I frequently shop at the Real Canadian Superstore. I do on occasion, shop at Sobeys.

I have at least 1,045 Club Sobeys points which netted me $5CDN off my purchases at Sobeys.

As for PC Points, I have around 14,000 (at last count) PC points.
Any suggestions to my scenarios above?

There was one time that PC Financial has partnered Petro-Canada on exchanging Petro-Points for PC Points, but the programme has since been stopped.
Less Negativeness, More Positiveness
Moins des négativités, Plus de positivités
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2002
3812 posts
27 upvotes
Mississauga
Why do you keep bringing this up? 3% cashback will beat any of these points programs.

Do the rate of return calculations for yourself. How much did you spend to get 1000 Sobeys points? It only got you $5 in the end. So if you spent more than $166 getting those points, you're better off with SmartCash, period.
Apr 24, 2007
8 posts
Alberta
I'm not being a smart a$$ but I find Safeways and Sobeys about 20-30% higher in price on their products when compared to the Super Store.

Shouldn't we be more concerned with saving at the till rather than on redeemable points?

With the money you save at Super Store, you could afford to pay cash from the savings for a trip.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 14, 2004
9172 posts
381 upvotes
Markham
billydee wrote:
May 1st, 2010 3:34 pm
I'm not being a smart a$$ but I find Safeways and Sobeys about 20-30% higher in price on their products when compared to the Super Store.

Shouldn't we be more concerned with saving at the till rather than on redeemable points?

With the money you save at Super Store, you could afford to pay cash from the savings for a trip.
That is true, but for PC MasterCard, unless there's an in-store promo going on (which seems rarer the last year or two), you get the same amount of points wherever you buy stuff which is 1%.

The Sobeys points are double if you buy at Sobeys stores - though generally everything there costs more.

Obviously MBNA gives the most at 3% at grocery stores. But for for the small amount of purchases I make it's not worth it, I've had difficult experiences with MBNA and will not do business with them for a long time.
:lol:
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2007
2957 posts
934 upvotes
Personally I disagree that Sobey's charges more than Loblaws. In fact I've noticed one or two items that are cheaper than Loblaws, and finally, after a few months Loblaws brings down their prices on the items to match Sobey's.. The problem I find with Sobey's is not in their prices, but in their selection. Loblaws just seems to have more of the products I want to buy. If Sobey's had the same produce selection as Loblaws, then I would go with them, since as was mentioned you can convert the Sobey's points to Aeroplan miles, which to me would be a bonus....and yes, I do use the MBNA cashback card at both stores.
Apr 17, 2009
418 posts
24 upvotes
Arrgh wrote:
Apr 19th, 2010 2:10 pm
You can convert Sobey points to aeroplan points, 2 to 1. Can't do that with PC points.
+1 ! And it's free! 1 aeroplan point can worth up to 8 cents!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 17, 2003
5197 posts
110 upvotes
Mississauga
Hairball wrote:
May 1st, 2010 4:03 pm
Obviously MBNA gives the most at 3% at grocery stores. But for for the small amount of purchases I make it's not worth it, I've had difficult experiences with MBNA and will not do business with them for a long time.
As tempting as this card is, I just can't take the plunge with what I hear about the customer service at MBNA. My credit standing is worth way more than 3% savings.
× < >