None
[OP]
Deal Guru
Oct 24, 2012
11420 posts
2397 upvotes
Montreal

Clutch pedal is bouncy and hard

So I had my Mazda 626 2000 on stands for about 20 days (long story).
I had lifted the front so that I could change the brake pads before I got interrupted with a new car purchase (Yeah I made the news).

Now I got around to finishing the job today.

The clutch is MESSED UP!!!!!!!!

I used to have to press the clutch all the way until I hit the "wall" before I could smoothly change gears, and have a long release before re-engaging the clutch.

Now, it feels weird. I can't hit that wall, it just becomes very hard to press down any further. I also don't need to press down very much before I can disengage the gear, and the clutch comes back on after very little release.

I can drive fine with this clutch, I just don't like the fact that I am never hitting that wall when pressing the pedal.

Something's wrong.
5 replies
Jul 19, 2014
999 posts
193 upvotes
Snow Road Station, O…
Check the fluid reservoir if it has one .
Oct 5, 2010
389 posts
184 upvotes
I would bleed the system before buying any new parts.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Oct 24, 2012
11420 posts
2397 upvotes
Montreal
Precision: When I mean bouncy and hard, I don't mean how the car moves when engaging the clutch. I am talking about the feel of the pedal itself.

When I press on it, I feel like i am pressing down on a balloon (increased resistance the further I press), so it feels hard towards the end.

Changing gears is still smooth.
Northofseven wrote:
Jun 14th, 2015 5:36 pm
Check the fluid reservoir if it has one .
vkizzle wrote:
Jun 14th, 2015 7:12 pm
Bad slave cylinder?
How would these things go empty/bad from 3 weeks sitting on stands?
d60 wrote:
Jun 15th, 2015 2:20 am
I would bleed the system before buying any new parts.
Yeah I am not buying any new parts. That car is getting listed on Kijiji for 500$.
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2007
13123 posts
1660 upvotes
I would just try pushing on the clutch pedal and it may eventually release.If you did not open the lines to the atmospheric pressure and the slave cylinder has not been touched it may be related to the fact that the car was elevated from the front?