Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
4150 posts
519 upvotes

Clutter in NCIX "Sale" Threads

it's getting ridiculous...I don't even need to link the posts here because it happens every week.

I'm talking about the same group of people that post UTTERLY useless comments in the NCIX weekly sale threads, racking up to 8 pages before the sale even begins. If the discussion isn't about the deal itself, price comparisons, or products info, DON'T POST. It's that simple. Sure make a joke or two, but if you are gonna post ***** 10-20 times EACH week, it gets terribly annoying. For the majority of us that have to skim through so many pages of clutter is frustrating.

It's getting to the point I just go check out NCIX directly and bypass RFD traffic, that should be a concern for RFD staff because I'm sure I'm not alone in doing this.

Funny thing is the problem only seems to be localized in NCIX threads, never been an issue elsewhere. It's like they just live in there day and night.

Now I understand NCIX used to be a RFD sponsor, but apparently this is no longer the case. So can we please get some moderating happening there?
Russell wrote:
Sep 10th, 2011 12:29 pm
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

23 replies
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
12046 posts
371 upvotes
Toronto
How about constantly fishing for thanks in said threads every week?
Deal with it.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10453 posts
2012 upvotes
Nowhere
I agree completely with the OP. I don't normally shop at NCIX so I don't look at the threads. But I recently found a deal on their website and came here to post it. I did a search first and came across one of these threads. Although the sale had just begun, there were pages and pages of crap. I didn't bother posting the deal I found. In all that crap, no one would have seen it. The thread also contained a lot of inappropriate comments about a female NCIX employee. We don't need this juvenile behaviour on this site.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2010
3846 posts
2359 upvotes
Burnaby
Pre-sale endless unrelated comments happen in most sale threads, not only on NCIX's threads. Particularly when it is just the announcement without price listings or any extra useful detail.

Regarding the comments about NCIX's PR woman who used to participate in the RFD threads I guess as part of her job and in compliance with RFD rules business promotion.
I as well find some comments about her disrespectful - she might be even a married woman with children.

A possible solution to this chitchatting could be an IRC channel for the thread. So, pre-sale empty conversations would not be recorded in the actual forum thread but in a temporary chat log.
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2010
2505 posts
571 upvotes
twitchyzero wrote:
May 2nd, 2012 9:49 pm
it's getting ridiculous...I don't even need to link the posts here because it happens every week.

I'm talking about the same group of people that post UTTERLY useless comments in the NCIX weekly sale threads, racking up to 8 pages before the sale even begins. If the discussion isn't about the deal itself, price comparisons, or products info, DON'T POST. It's that simple. Sure make a joke or two, but if you are gonna post ***** 10-20 times EACH week, it gets terribly annoying. For the majority of us that have to skim through so many pages of clutter is frustrating.

It's getting to the point I just go check out NCIX directly and bypass RFD traffic, that should be a concern for RFD staff because I'm sure I'm not alone in doing this.
This is the main point we are going emphasize (in bold). If you don't like the deal and just want to crap on the deal, don't do it, unless you can provide details on why it's not a good sale with examples. We need these posts to have content for everyone, so who ever is reading can make an informed decision about the deal. I totally agree with you twitchyzero, it is a big concern for us. We are starting the process of "clean up Hot Deals" as this is a priority for us.
For all community related matters, please PM TomRFD
Deal Guru
Dec 2, 2008
11604 posts
1494 upvotes
hotness is subjective.........

more post and traffic = more money for rfd........

these threads peak at 500 viewer at a time easily......
Feb 1, 2009
650 posts
108 upvotes
Yeah, these threads are very annoying. They shouldn't be posted several hours before the "sale" start, to prevent these useless posts. Every single week, on Wednesday afternoon, this useless thread is started (and always by the same guys...recently, it's been qaz and some others) while there's nothing to talk about, as there's is no preview, nothing to talk about. As said op, just the same people always saying the same stuff or so-call jokes.
I, also, stopped reading these threads, and just go directly to ncix and check the "sale" by myself. No point checking for the actual deals within the 15 pages thread...
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
4150 posts
519 upvotes
I'm not talking about whether the deal is good or not...more about the pointless same o' jokes that rack up pages after pages before the deal even goes live
qaz393 wrote:
May 4th, 2012 12:50 am
hotness is subjective.........

more post and traffic = more money for rfd........

these threads peak at 500 viewer at a time easily......

I understand running a site as big as RFD is no easy task. Can't infraction points be enabled on these forums? There's too much clutter but it's usually the same group of people. Accumilate a certain # of points for repeated offenders = temp ban?
Jimboski wrote:
May 2nd, 2012 9:50 pm
There's too much clutter for the mods to get rid of. Sorry but you would have to deal with It for now as oranr said they were planning to clean things up?
oranr wrote:
May 3rd, 2012 10:09 am
We are starting the process of "clean up Hot Deals" as this is a priority for us.
Russell wrote:
Sep 10th, 2011 12:29 pm
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2008
12817 posts
2278 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
There are infraction points. It's just that there aren't enough mods. Oranr acknowledges there are problems on the forums, and has acknowledged that change is coming. However, they're taking forever to occur.

Oh and don't forget the Esther bashing in the sale threads. If I was Esther, I wouldn't even come to RFD anymore.
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2007
24994 posts
3037 upvotes
Hamilton
More traffic more money
$35/5GB Koodo
$120/3Months PM
Deal Guru
Dec 2, 2008
11604 posts
1494 upvotes
geokilla wrote:
May 10th, 2012 7:51 pm
There are infraction points. It's just that there aren't enough mods. Oranr acknowledges there are problems on the forums, and has acknowledged that change is coming. However, they're taking forever to occur.

Oh and don't forget the Esther bashing in the sale threads. If I was Esther, I wouldn't even come to RFD anymore.

i meat her in real life....
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2007
24994 posts
3037 upvotes
Hamilton
geokilla wrote:
May 10th, 2012 7:51 pm

She came to us IRL....
$35/5GB Koodo
$120/3Months PM
Banned
May 12, 2004
9759 posts
4094 upvotes
Ottawa
zukuss wrote:
May 6th, 2012 12:52 am
Yeah, these threads are very annoying. They shouldn't be posted several hours before the "sale" start, to prevent these useless posts. Every single week, on Wednesday afternoon, this useless thread is started (and always by the same guys...recently, it's been qaz and some others) while there's nothing to talk about, as there's is no preview, nothing to talk about. As said op, just the same people always saying the same stuff or so-call jokes.
I, also, stopped reading these threads, and just go directly to ncix and check the "sale" by myself. No point checking for the actual deals within the 15 pages thread...

This.

Not sure why it's complicated for mods and admins as there is no grey area here. If I can buy an item this very minute at a specific price then it's a sale and belongs in hot deals. If I might be able to buy it later on it's not a sale.

Maybe we should start making FS boxing day 2012 deal threads? I mean we all know the sale is going to happen. :facepalm: It's the exact same thing.
Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.
- Mark Twain
Deal Expert
Apr 30, 2003
24045 posts
4136 upvotes
Toronto
Perhaps there should be a dedicated thread to NCIX Weekly Specials in the Ongoing Deal Discussion section?