Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
4639 posts
1438 upvotes
Toronto
Cas77 wrote:
May 11th, 2012 5:12 pm
This.

Not sure why it's complicated for mods and admins as there is no grey area here. If I can buy an item this very minute at a specific price then it's a sale and belongs in hot deals. If I might be able to buy it later on it's not a sale.

Maybe we should start making FS boxing day 2012 deal threads? I mean we all know the sale is going to happen. :facepalm: It's the exact same thing.

I don't know why it's only NCIX, but it is for the most part. Dell for example has Daily Deals and other sales all the time too, but those seem to stay mostly on course, discussing the products. For whatever reason it's become "cool" for NCIX threads to become off topic with the same comments over and over. Heck, I'm sure some people are going to post "wallet safe" even when they actually buy something.
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2008
13112 posts
2548 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
So whoever is handing out infraction points in the NCIX thread, I thank you. However, it seems that the amount of infraction points given ranges from 5 points to 9 points for pretty much the same offense. I didn't do a thorough reading of the thread, so take that with a grain of salt if you'd like.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2006
1042 posts
4 upvotes
I agree with this. Also I think the OP of the NCIX thread should have some responsibility to maintain the first post. Such as updating the first post to include deals that others might think are good.

If some guy is posting:

NCIX FAIL SALE as the first post, is he really expecting to get any Thanks?
Banned
Apr 27, 2010
6280 posts
446 upvotes
Help me
aviador wrote:
May 3rd, 2012 9:18 am
Pre-sale endless unrelated comments happen in most sale threads, not only on NCIX's threads. Particularly when it is just the announcement without price listings or any extra useful detail.

Regarding the comments about NCIX's PR woman who used to participate in the RFD threads I guess as part of her job and in compliance with RFD rules business promotion.
I as well find some comments about her disrespectful - she might be even a married woman with children.

A possible solution to this chitchatting could be an IRC channel for the thread. So, pre-sale empty conversations would not be recorded in the actual forum thread but in a temporary chat log.
The person we're talking about seems to know very little about computers from the videos that I have watched of her on youtube. Thats fine! NCIX hired her as PR because she is a young woman and sex sells. If she can't handle the interest she generates then she can quit! It is her choice to work for NCIX in that capacity. No doubt there have been disrespectful comments made about her, however that comes with what NCIX and the female in question is portraying to the audience.
twitchyzero wrote:
May 2nd, 2012 9:49 pm
it's getting ridiculous...I don't even need to link the posts here because it happens every week.

I'm talking about the same group of people that post UTTERLY useless comments in the NCIX weekly sale threads, racking up to 8 pages before the sale even begins. If the discussion isn't about the deal itself, price comparisons, or products info, DON'T POST. It's that simple. Sure make a joke or two, but if you are gonna post ***** 10-20 times EACH week, it gets terribly annoying. For the majority of us that have to skim through so many pages of clutter is frustrating.

It's getting to the point I just go check out NCIX directly and bypass RFD traffic, that should be a concern for RFD staff because I'm sure I'm not alone in doing this.

Funny thing is the problem only seems to be localized in NCIX threads, never been an issue elsewhere. It's like they just live in there day and night.

Now I understand NCIX used to be a RFD sponsor, but apparently this is no longer the case. So can we please get some moderating happening there?
If it is just the announcement of the sale then it should not be posted in the hot deals section, and if it is - it should be locked and deleted and the OP should be given an infraction for posting nothing.
Cheap Cat wrote:
May 3rd, 2012 12:26 am
I agree completely with the OP. I don't normally shop at NCIX so I don't look at the threads. But I recently found a deal on their website and came here to post it. I did a search first and came across one of these threads. Although the sale had just begun, there were pages and pages of crap. I didn't bother posting the deal I found. In all that crap, no one would have seen it. The thread also contained a lot of inappropriate comments about a female NCIX employee. We don't need this juvenile behaviour on this site.
I agree, it starts with having a good administration and moderating staff. Something that RFD severely lacks. Nothing is consistent. There enforcement of the rules is wishy-washy.
zukuss wrote:
May 6th, 2012 12:52 am
Yeah, these threads are very annoying. They shouldn't be posted several hours before the "sale" start, to prevent these useless posts. Every single week, on Wednesday afternoon, this useless thread is started (and always by the same guys...recently, it's been qaz and some others) while there's nothing to talk about, as there's is no preview, nothing to talk about. As said op, just the same people always saying the same stuff or so-call jokes.
I, also, stopped reading these threads, and just go directly to ncix and check the "sale" by myself. No point checking for the actual deals within the 15 pages thread...
This is what I am talking about. If I posted a thread, about a mystery sale at a store that is not/was not an RFD affiliate, the thread would be locked and deleted on the spot. RFD lets it slide because it is generating revenue for them, directly or indirectly.
fenrus wrote:
May 17th, 2012 10:54 pm
I agree with this. Also I think the OP of the NCIX thread should have some responsibility to maintain the first post. Such as updating the first post to include deals that others might think are good.

If some guy is posting:

NCIX FAIL SALE as the first post, is he really expecting to get any Thanks?

If they label it "Fail Sale" why is it even in the hot deals section?
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2010
2505 posts
571 upvotes
geokilla wrote:
May 17th, 2012 6:39 pm
So whoever is handing out infraction points in the NCIX thread, I thank you. However, it seems that the amount of infraction points given ranges from 5 points to 9 points for pretty much the same offense. I didn't do a thorough reading of the thread, so take that with a grain of salt if you'd like.

Not really the same offense. One got higher infraction points for ruining the thread from the get go with "sale fail" as the title. Who are they to prejudge if the sale was a fail. Where the other 5 point infraction was just derailing the thread and not adding any value to their objection the the sale.

Just to clarify for you.
For all community related matters, please PM TomRFD
Aug 14, 2009
320 posts
57 upvotes
The auto forum is full of this nonsense and persistant borderline racism as well.
Dec 7, 2005
337 posts
72 upvotes
Maple Ridge
Mr.Sea wrote:
May 22nd, 2012 9:46 pm
The person we're talking about seems to know very little about computers from the videos that I have watched of her on youtube. Thats fine! NCIX hired her as PR because she is a young woman and sex sells. If she can't handle the interest she generates then she can quit! It is her choice to work for NCIX in that capacity. No doubt there have been disrespectful comments made about her, however that comes with what NCIX and the female in question is portraying to the audience.

Really?? A fairly attractive woman instantly is trying to sell something else in addition to computer hardware? Do these same people go to cosplay events and start verbally hounding the models because they don't know anything about the character they're portraying? What's wrong with society today is we make excuses no matter what to justify our own poor behavior. There are better ways to handle the situation other than to de-mean the poor girl and we all know attractive sales people (female or male) are preferred over "less" attractive ones even if they know less about a given product.

I agree with you though, if the OP is calling it a fail sale, why are they even posting it. That said, the new rules should clean things up in the NCIX weekly thread and I'm thankful for that.
Banned
May 12, 2004
9759 posts
4102 upvotes
Ottawa
I saw that our new mod MrAvatarNowSucks took care of the NCIX thread yesterday. ( :razz: BTW MrPerfect I'm teasing) Nice to see someone taking action as per the rule.

The problem is...why would that same rule not extend to staff members? Deal-less crappy threads are still deal-less crappy threads regardless who posts them. For example the Dell Daily Deal thread posted every day by a staff member before the sale even starts with ???????????????? in place of the sale items. The thread was up to 2 pages of "I hope today they have ______", or "Bah wallet will probably be safe again".

The whole point of the request/rule was to get rid of the garbage regardless where it came from. No?

Edit: I said 2 pages, but my post count per page is set to 40...so the amount of garbage posted before there was a deal was even more than 2 pages for people running the default settings.
Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.
- Mark Twain
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2007
4377 posts
4253 upvotes
Toronto
Cas77 wrote:
May 31st, 2012 1:41 pm
I saw that our new mod MrAvatarNowSucks took care of the NCIX thread yesterday. ( :razz: BTW MrPerfect I'm teasing) Nice to see someone taking action as per the rule.

The problem is...why would that same rule not extend to staff members? Deal-less crappy threads are still deal-less crappy threads regardless who posts them. For example the Dell Daily Deal thread posted every day by a staff member before the sale even starts with ???????????????? in place of the sale items. The thread was up to 2 pages of "I hope today they have ______", or "Bah wallet will probably be safe again".

The whole point of the request/rule was to get rid of the garbage regardless where it came from. No?

Edit: I said 2 pages, but my post count per page is set to 40...so the amount of garbage posted before there was a deal was even more than 2 pages for people running the default settings.

- The threads (which are only done for Days of Deals events) keep the conversations to each day's items instead of cramming a giant discussion into 1 thread
- We make the thread early so that we can update it and keep it clean once it does go live... if a random user does it, it's not exactly reliable that they'll do it daily or in a reasonably timely fashion. Unfortunately, we don't know the exact minute the sale goes live or prices go live. It's not ideal.
- The spirit of the new rules we laid out was to address rudeness and bickering. That's not to say we don't want to discourage "empty" posts, but as we said, it's not going to be perfect.
- In spite of anything else, the 2 staff posted Dell Days of Deals threads since we announced some moderation changes have nothing like you were describing. I know, because I posted them.