• Sep 19th, 2006 8:14 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jun 8, 2006
254 posts

CMA, CA, & CGA salary

Hey

i am currently in highschool and researching on career choices. i would like to know what is the typical salary in canada for a:

CMA: $ ???
CA:$ ???
CGA:$ ???

thanks in advanace.
8 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2004
2769 posts
52 upvotes
Kinda like asking how much actors make, I don't know $1 to $100 million?

But I think the answer you are looking for is CA makes the most money. But if you really want more money, get a MBA + CA + CFA AND your Law degree. This combo typically makes the most money.

If you can throw an MD on top of there it would be great too. :cheesygri
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2005
5670 posts
162 upvotes
GTA
young__wun1515 wrote:Hey

i am currently in highschool and researching on career choices. i would like to know what is the typical salary in canada for a:

thanks in advanace.
By the time you decide which field you want to venture into, and by the time you graduate Uni, by then you will realize that it's not always the $$$ involved in making your career decision. This decision should come from the heart. It should be what you like to do most!!!! Thus I became a CMA and earn a 6 digit salary. I could have done my CA easy and maybe earned a bit more, but the fact that I have to work for a firm & do their dirty work for the 1st few years is too boring for moi!!!

Just my $0.02

sk :)
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2004
2769 posts
52 upvotes
sunnybono wrote:By the time you decide which field you want to venture into, and by the time you graduate Uni, by then you will realize that it's not always the $$$ involved in making your career decision. This decision should come from the heart. It should be what you like to do most!!!! Thus I became a CMA and earn a 6 digit salary. I could have done my CA easy and maybe earned a bit more, but the fact that I have to work for a firm & do their dirty work for the 1st few years is too boring for moi!!!

Just my $0.02

sk :)

Agreed

Of course, unless you love accounting then go with your heart for the CA.
If you want money be a doctor or a lawyer or both.

Seriously there are Lawyer + CAs out there they make tons of money. 'Cus clients can talk to them confidentially, mot people with lots of money evade tax, so that's how these people make there money.

In terms of money CA + Lawyer is the better way. Of course you better start learning now!

Oh and another career is master / PHD in math + Quantitative / Statistical finance (Master of Finance) + MBA. You can then try to get a job doing risk management / portfolio management or a something else ( I forgot the title), you build models to help traders, you model commodity or stock prices for traders, and you can seriously make millions.
Jul 3, 2003
27 posts
Toronto
what's the difference between the certified general accounting and certified general accountant?
Jan 21, 2005
687 posts
17 upvotes
Victoria
devil_dice wrote:what's the difference between the certified general accounting and certified general accountant?
:cheesygri Never heard of the first one.
the second one commonly refer to CGA...
Deal Addict
May 5, 2005
1566 posts
4 upvotes
R. Hill
young__wun1515 wrote:Hey

thanks in advanace.
There are far too many variables to give you an accurate answer. For CGAs, it can vary from as low as $35,000 to $1,000,000+. Depends on what position you land and with which firm.
Jun 4, 2005
144 posts
3 upvotes
Actually, you won't be able to find a typical salary range among CA, CGA, and CMAs. Like what ynot said, it depends on your position and your firm.

Here's the reason why "typical salary ranges" aren't reliable:

Most finance professionals don't rely on one single designation. In the past, this may be the case, but today's finance professionals tend to have a mixture of designations. For example, an investment banker might have a MBA, CGA, and a CBV. On the other hand, a forensic accountant might have a CA, CFE and a Graduate Diploma in Forensic Accounting. Portfolio managers might have a MBA, CFA, and a CGA.

My instructor for CGA Taxation 2 had a LLB, CGA, and has completed the CICA In-Depth Tax Course. My instructor for UBC Accounting had a MBA, CA, CGA, CMA, and a CPA. I know a few people myself who has a CA and CISA working on information systems audit, and a CGA and CPA working on international tax.

If an investment banker made $150,000/year, is it because if his CGA? The stats will include this person in the salary research because he's a CGA, but the stats don't tell you that he also has a MBA and CBV.

If you want to decide on a career, your best bet is to look at the actual job that you want, and not the designation or degree. Once you know which job you want, then look at the designations or degrees that'll make you successful on that job.

BTW, I'm not saying that mixing designations is the "best way." There are lots of people who do well just having one designation. What's "best" really depends on your own personal goals and situation.
× < >