• Aug 3rd, 2017 3:35 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2004
1030 posts
990 upvotes

Cogeco

What type of deals have people been able to get for retention of Cogeco services, i.e. internet phone and television
10 replies
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2001
15556 posts
1026 upvotes
Cogeco is well known for being stingy with discounts to current customers.

You're better off switching to one of the IPTV companies, OTA TV, Satellite TV Teksavvy, Start Communications etc.
Should we have open retail markets to bring more UK and US retailers to Canada?wegmans-tops-trader-joes-americas-favou ... #p27788812
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2008
1718 posts
1082 upvotes
Hamilton
Cogeco is one of the worst ISP companies you may deal with. They always do bait and switch and prices to existing customers are nightmare if promo is over.
I'd stay away and read your contract before you sign up for anything.
My experience was terrible and now I'm trying to escape from their trap :( Their highest customer satisfaction advertisement is not telling the whole story if not misleading/incorrect.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2008
1718 posts
1082 upvotes
Hamilton
I changed internet speed in the middle of the contract and now it's over. I'd like to continue two remaining services but they cannot offer other 2 services (tivo TV and phone) if I cancel internet, nor they offer a reasonable price for internet but asking to finish the contract or pay $150 penalty for 2 services (2 x $75) :(
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2014
1191 posts
249 upvotes
many people are not really using cable anymore and get all their content streamed from the net...I am one of those people. the problem with caps on bandwidth is you cannot be comfortable watching a movie because your always worried that you will exceed your cap so you end up not using your capacity in order to avoid going over. I am really tired of having to look over my shoulder all the time and see how much bandwidth I have left. It is a big pain in the ass. Other than that I am ok with my cogeco service. for the longest time it was crapping out all the time, but for the past six months or so, it has been fairly reliable. The other thing with cogeco is I have to go thru a ritual of renegotiation every year in order to keep the rates a bit lower than full price. that is aggravating as well, and then in order to get any kind of concession I have to agree to lock in for a year at a time. enough of all this. I am marking time for my contract to expire and just before then I am going to finally end the service. The also used to allow some QAM channels over the cable, but they completely killed that, so absolutely no free tv channels. there is no reason to stay with them anymore. I don't want to be limited and Capped because it is a huge aggravation and inconvenience. I have wanted to do this for about the past three years but now I know for sure what I have to do, and simply that is to say goodbye to cogeco land.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
13462 posts
4620 upvotes
GTA
Ordered Bell, cancelling Cogeco tomorrow. We'll see what they offer.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Deal Addict
May 23, 2008
1713 posts
1768 upvotes
GTA
I am in Cogeco land, and I am using a third party ISP. I suggest doing the same. They charge $110/month compared to $63/month for my current ISP, for the same speed, which is 43% more.
If they play with their prices to third parties, I am just going to keep my ISP and switch to DSL instead of cable.

Why I have such a "good" opinion about Cogeco? When I moved to this house, a Cogeco tech came to check the cable. I asked him to wait 1 minute to see if the modem synchs, in other words to see if he actually did the job, but he said since I'm on a third party ISP, that's not his business.
A good company would have trained their techs to tell customers about their advantages, and make sure they are polite and whatever, but no, this guy seemed really sour that I am not using Cogeco. I was still a potential customer at that point, but he made sure I will never be one. These companies need to understand that even if at that moment I am not using them, maybe in the future I decide to change the ISP, and they can be in the books. Cogeco just made sure I will never consider them.
Last edited by RaidZero on Mar 7th, 2017 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
13462 posts
4620 upvotes
GTA
Called Cogeco today to cancel, took about a minute. Lady told me to bring my equipment into a store within 10 days. No retention effort whatsoever. Weird.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
13462 posts
4620 upvotes
GTA
Update:

Received a letter in the mail today, more than 2 months after I cancelled. They're "sorry to see me go" and offered a decent deal, 12 months @$89 for TiVo PVR, 40Mb internet and home phone. Not smoking but it would've been enough to keep me as a customer. Bell PVR is a piece of garbage compared to TiVo.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2014
1191 posts
249 upvotes
I have a Thomson Cable Modem DCM476 and want to transition to Start.ca. my contract with cogeco ending september 21st. what are the steps needed to make this change. thanks.
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2013
1218 posts
601 upvotes
North of Toronto
A friend of mine had a helluva time with Cogeco retention. It's really hit or miss. I ended up calling for him as he was stressed out. I ended up getting 15% off for 12 months but after 12 months it will automatically expire. This was about a month ago.

I find that it depends who you really get on the phone.

I basically said that their constant price increases have made in unfeasible for him to pay for the service. My friend couldn't continue paying for it as it wasn't in the budget. I basically said that if they can't offer a deal to someone who has been a customer for 12 years. Then they will never get him as a customer again. After that they budged.

good luck!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)