• Last Updated:
  • Jul 14th, 2018 8:32 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2012
4869 posts
2413 upvotes

Cogeco is considering entering the mobile market

I don't have a link for it, but I just heard on the news that the CEO of Cogeco is preparing his company to offer mobile wireless services.

I don't particularly like Cogeco, they have never been competitive on pricing, but it's nice to see we will have SOME more competition.
6 replies
Deal Addict
May 19, 2003
2348 posts
350 upvotes
They're going to be reselling someone's service. They didn't buy any spectrum nor do they have the deep pockets to buy any.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
2396 posts
878 upvotes
Everywhere
It depends on the CRTC and their possible upcoming decision about data. If they cannot resell high speed data (4G/LTE), they won't have anything worth buying.
May 8, 2009
6746 posts
2932 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
Poutinesauce wrote:
Jul 13th, 2018 12:05 pm
I don't have a link for it, but I just heard on the news that the CEO of Cogeco is preparing his company to offer mobile wireless services.

I don't particularly like Cogeco, they have never been competitive on pricing, but it's nice to see we will have SOME more competition.
Financial Post: Cogeco cable company considering steps towards wireless business: CEO

OP could have websearched it.
shutterbug wrote:
Jul 13th, 2018 5:13 pm
They're going to be reselling someone's service. They didn't buy any spectrum nor do they have the deep pockets to buy any.
But Cogeco has recently acquired licences for spectrum — the radio frequencies required for wireless communication — because conditions appear to have become more favourable, he said.

Cogeco will also evaluate the possibility of participating in a federal auction of 600-megahertz spectrum that’s scheduled for next year but would only do so in consultation with a partner, Audet said.
Looks like you spoke too soon 🤣
eBay profile| Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
DUCA thread | Simplii Account Linking | Make CCTS Claim | Max on Koodo Referrals Thread
Deal Addict
May 19, 2003
2348 posts
350 upvotes
This will be even worse than Freedom/Wind with their crap network. Cogeco has even less money/pockets than Shaw. They may buy a bit of spectrum in major cities but not enough for a nationwide network.
And how many phones support 600mhz?? This will be like Freedom and their craptastic Band 66 LTE.

titaniumtux wrote:
Jul 14th, 2018 3:12 pm
Financial Post: Cogeco cable company considering steps towards wireless business: CEO

OP could have websearched it.

Looks like you spoke too soon 🤣
May 8, 2009
6746 posts
2932 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
shutterbug wrote:
Jul 14th, 2018 5:58 pm
This will be even worse than Freedom/Wind with their crap network. Cogeco has even less money/pockets than Shaw. They may buy a bit of spectrum in major cities but not enough for a nationwide network.
And how many phones support 600mhz?? This will be like Freedom and their craptastic Band 66 LTE.
Meanwhile xplornet towers in MB are most productive in zapping mosquitoes. Who knows what the future holds, but it's about time Cogeco joins the ring.
eBay profile| Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
DUCA thread | Simplii Account Linking | Make CCTS Claim | Max on Koodo Referrals Thread

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)