• Apr 28th, 2017 11:27 am
Tags:
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2011
3518 posts
689 upvotes
Allenford

Coil Spring Pet Bed

We have a German Shepherd who we had been using the Top Dog Ortho Spring bed for, and we need a second one for her but Pet Smart no longer sell this bed.
I've searched and am wondering if anyone else has a spring bed they can recommend for our girl? Not looking for one just with stuffing, she will crush it and I don't want her sleeping on a pancake.
12 replies
Mar 19, 2013
728 posts
228 upvotes
Prince Albert, Sask.
Did some research, could not find coil spring, just memory foam.
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2011
3518 posts
689 upvotes
Allenford
kenchau wrote: Ikea has a spring bed that's about 3' by 6' for $80. Much better value than a pet bed and probably just better overall, for those that have large dogs.

http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/80224100/
I thought this might be a winner but horrible reviews about the springs. She may just have to deal with foam. Poop.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2012
2541 posts
641 upvotes
Toronto
Baby/crib mattress.
That's what all my Dane friends use!
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2011
3518 posts
689 upvotes
Allenford
MrsPotato wrote: Baby/crib mattress.
That's what all my Dane friends use!
Thanks Mrs. P - any particular one?
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2012
2541 posts
641 upvotes
Toronto
snow00774 wrote: Thanks Mrs. P - any particular one?
Yeah, whatever they find off Craigslist for free!
Don't overthink it ;)
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3926 posts
1039 upvotes
Toronto
MrsPotato wrote: Yeah, whatever they find off Craigslist for free!
Don't overthink it ;)
Plan B is to try the mattress out yourself! This is what I have done with dog beds (or pouting cushions as I like to call them). If I hit the floor when I sit on the bed it is off the list. Our dog loves (and demands) his comfort.

I have also tried pet stairs and ramps. I prefer ramps.

MrsPotato is quite correct. I know a few people with Danes and they use crib mattresses as well - sometimes using mattresses that their children have outgrown.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2012
2541 posts
641 upvotes
Toronto
I personally am not a fan of floor beds for large breeds. They end up mashing them down so quickly and they end up smelling because they're impossible to wash throughly.
If you're stuck on the floor style, just get a big dog bed at Costco or Homesense, so you won't be as upset about the money-loss when you need to toss is next time your dog barfs on it ;) or when it gets too squished down and again, you have to replace it.

My fav are the rasied/elevated beds.
Kuranda makes a great one, and they last forever. You can also make it yourself if you're eager for a fun DIY :)

Www.kuranda.com

But then again, I'm the worst to talk.
My big guy sleeps in our bed during th day, but is "forced" to sleep on his own in his own Homsense found dog bed, along with his own human pillow and 3 plush blankets. Tough life for these guys eh? ;)
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2011
3518 posts
689 upvotes
Allenford
MrsPotato wrote: I personally am not a fan of floor beds for large breeds. They end up mashing them down so quickly and they end up smelling because they're impossible to wash throughly.
If you're stuck on the floor style, just get a big dog bed at Costco or Homesense, so you won't be as upset about the money-loss when you need to toss is next time your dog barfs on it ;) or when it gets too squished down and again, you have to replace it.

My fav are the rasied/elevated beds.
Kuranda makes a great one, and they last forever. You can also make it yourself if you're eager for a fun DIY :)

Www.kuranda.com

But then again, I'm the worst to talk.
My big guy sleeps in our bed during th day, but is "forced" to sleep on his own in his own Homsense found dog bed, along with his own human pillow and 3 plush blankets. Tough life for these guys eh? ;)
I was hoping to get the same top dog spring one she has now as she has had it a couple of years and not crushed it, it's still comfy and the springs are still good, not misshapen or anything. We need a second one for her which is why I'm looking.

Anything else might as well be a bedsheet they get so flat in no time. Her highness would never stand for that though ;)

I'll find her something, will look into the elevated beds.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3926 posts
1039 upvotes
Toronto
snow007 - The Kuranda pet beds are excellent as posted by MrsPotato.

However, our guy prefers a double-deluxe donut bed (that does not get smashed to the floor). He has 2 pouting beds and one is 12 years old. I can attest to the fact that it is very comfortable.

He likes the donut because he can step into it through the opening and then rest his head and stare at us from the raised part hoping for food.

Of course he sleeps in the "real" pet - hence the term "pouting".

He is quite the little princess - although he is a boy.

Our former dog boarder uses both the Bowsers that we have plus the Kuranda beds. Each dog has his/her preference.

One suggestion though that despite our dog only weighing 25 lbs. he likes a big pouting bed so that he can stretch out. Our former 10 lb. dogs were the same. If you do check at HomeSense you will find that the very large beds (that are donut shaped) sell very fast.

If you do find one, make certain that it has 2 zippers so that it can be washed. They all do not.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)