• Last Updated:
  • Feb 7th, 2018 9:54 am
Tags:
Mar 2, 2013
41 posts
2 upvotes
York

Coke

Im feeling really discouraged i was a chronic coke drinker 5 to 6 cans a day ive stopped for 3 weeks now only drinking water and i havent lost any weight and i havent subsituted to eating any extra calories can anyone explain why this is
8 replies
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6759 posts
1499 upvotes
If you havent lost weight, its because you haven't sustain enough of a consistent calorie deficit. Weight loss isn't just about a food or drink item in isolation. You have to look at your entire diet, exercise, NEAT, etc.

Did you track your intake consistently before and after dropping the pop? What variety of Coke was it?
Mar 2, 2013
41 posts
2 upvotes
York
It was coca cola and ive started going to the gym jogging a km a day 3 days i week
Jun 12, 2017
158 posts
70 upvotes
amz155 wrote: If you havent lost weight, its because you haven't sustain enough of a consistent calorie deficit. Weight loss isn't just about a food or drink item in isolation. You have to look at your entire diet, exercise, NEAT, etc.
This. You can also write down everything you consume over the next 7 days (both food/drinks) and that will give you a good overview of what's going on
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6759 posts
1499 upvotes
reppintdot wrote: It was coca cola and ive started going to the gym jogging a km a day 3 days i week
Coca Cola- regular, diet, zero?

Try keeping an accurate food/drink log for a while and see what your average intake is. Exercise doesn't really burn that many calories, so I wouldn't expect that to do much. Especially if exercising causes NEAT to fall. Regardless of your activity level, your intake still needs to be low enough to sustain a deficit.
Mar 2, 2013
41 posts
2 upvotes
York
I understand defecit but ive cut down roughly 5 to 6 cans out daily so 5 x 150 is 750 carloies that i cut out daily and havent added anything to my diet to subsitiute i just drink water and it was regular coke
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2005
1721 posts
643 upvotes
Kitchener
Patience. Keep up the exercise for a few more months and then check again.
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6759 posts
1499 upvotes
reppintdot wrote: I understand defecit but ive cut down roughly 5 to 6 cans out daily so 5 x 150 is 750 carloies that i cut out daily and havent added anything to my diet to subsitiute i just drink water and it was regular coke
Again, you have to sustain a caloric deficit to lose weight. If subtracting 750kcals from your daily intake doesn't put you in a deficit, you won't lose weight. If you were consuming an excess of 750 kcals daily and you take those away, now you're at maintenance and that won't induce weight loss. It doesn't matter how many calories you stop consuming, if you're still not running a deficit you won't lose weight.

If you have a good understanding of calorie deficits, what kind of deficit are you in?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
7571 posts
3145 upvotes
Canada
reppintdot wrote: Im feeling really discouraged i was a chronic coke drinker 5 to 6 cans a day ive stopped for 3 weeks now only drinking water and i havent lost any weight and i havent subsituted to eating any extra calories can anyone explain why this is
Some people gain weight(fat) when starting going to the gym due to one simple fact - they become more hungry and eat more. Gym workouts can burn as little as 250 calories yet an extra avocado(depending on size) can be between 300-600calories. So, unless you really watch your diet it is impossible to tell if you are losing or gaining weight. by losing 500cal in the gym EVERY DAY you can expect about a 1lb per week of fat loss, proving your diet is on point.
It is also extremely hard to say whether your lost weight over 3 weeks as our weight fluctuates. I can wake up one day at 189 and 184lb a few days later. Just depends on what I ate and drank. An extra few glasses of water can skew your measurements.

Also, while running, HIIT and other cardio exercises burn the highest amount of calories, strength/bodybuilding exercises burn the least so if you were doing weights, chances are you were burning as little as 100 calories per session( noobs don't know how to train, take too many breaks, don't push hard enough,etc).

One word of encouragement in case you were doing strength exercises. Muscles are heavier than fat(per area) so some people who go to the gym and slowly develop muscles don't lose any weight as they basically exchange their fat for muscles. Who knows, maybe if you were doing bodybuilding you may have lost some fat and gained muscles.

But again, unless you really know what you are doing and how much you are eating it's hard to answer your question. Fat loss is not a 3 week thing, Anyone pushing you 1-2 week fat loss program are SCAMMERS. You cannot lose fat that fast safely and without any rebounds. Steady calorie deficit along with proper nutrition and exercise will go a long way. If your body fat % between 18-30% you will have much easier time losing fat and with the right meal plans you can easily lose 1-2lb of fat per month without doing that much as it's appx 3000-6000 calories split over 30 days. It's only about 100-200 less calories per day and you are steadily losing fat and over 1 year you can have a great,safe and easy transformation without really dieting!

PS. Coke(caffeine) is a diuretic, basically it takes water out of your system. Since you stopped drinking and started drinking water there's a good chance your body retains more water so you may have lost weight,but just have more water inside.
I use voice typing, expect mistakes...

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)