Home & Garden

Cold air coming through window, how to seal?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 25th, 2007 7:06 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 27, 2006
4478 posts
25 upvotes

Cold air coming through window, how to seal?

My head is right beside the window and I can feel a light cold draft coming through, I think its time to seal those windows up for the winter.
What is good to use to do that?
My windows are wooden and slide down.
17 replies
Apr 14, 2006
427 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto
saran wrap and masking tape
Deal Fanatic
Nov 23, 2005
7795 posts
3665 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote:
Nov 19th, 2007 7:17 pm
Or, move your bed..
how does that help? the cold is still getting in the room!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2005
5679 posts
162 upvotes
GTA
boyoflondon wrote:
Nov 19th, 2007 7:46 pm
Install a heavy curtain and move your bed!!! :lol: :lol: No seriously, the saran wrap thing made for windows should do the trick!!! However if this is your home (not renting) then you should seriously budget for new vynil widows, perferably casements.

sk
Mar 29, 2003
817 posts
1 upvote
You can use vapour barrier on the outside of the windows for the winter. It works well for old windows. Do it from the outside and have long strips of wood and use that to hold the plastic in place. Screw it all down and your done for the winter. If you do it on the inside, moisture might get trapped on the inside and fog up your window.
Toshiba P100 Laptop.
17" WXGA, Intel Centrino Duo T7200 2.0 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 200 GB SATA HDD, Maxtor 500 GB SATA External, GeForce 7600 256 MB.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
25454 posts
2678 upvotes
Ottawa
boyoflondon wrote:
Nov 19th, 2007 7:46 pm
Because the OP said "My head is right beside the window and I can feel a light cold draft coming through", not a raging wind. Hence, no draft on the head :?:
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2003
4049 posts
13 upvotes
Cambridge
M.D. wrote:
Nov 19th, 2007 6:00 pm
My head is right beside the window and I can feel a light cold draft coming through, I think its time to seal those windows up for the winter.
What is good to use to do that?
My windows are wooden and slide down.
A few things. Most have already been mentioned but I'll give them the +1.

The CT Comfort Plus Window Kit will make the biggest difference. It is well worth the money. (note you will have to remove and reapply every year)

Moving your bed further from the window will help, the cool air will fall to the floor instead of landing on your head.

Turn your bed around - put your feet there, and put an extra blanket over your feet.

Get a small portable heater. Place it so that it will fight the draft.
Mar 2, 2006
817 posts
19 upvotes
May I also suggest caulking around the edges of the window trim and any other cracks (along with installing the window sealing film). I agree with the heavy curtain recommendation as well.
Oct 22, 2007
26 posts
hamilton
I like to use poly (vapor barrier) in a thinner grade and some wide masking tape. I then put shears on the windows to hide the tape. Then when you have the nicer days and want a little air you can remove the poly and put another piece back up when you need to.
Dec 31, 1969
My cousin had this same problem last year when she bought her house. The people before only had storm windows which sucked because they looked hidious, but what could you really expect the people didn't have much money to spend and they were trying to do what they could for what they could afford but windows were not in the budget. Anyways that Comfort Plus Window Kit (Premium Film) recommended above does the trick for a temporary fix. My cousin used it on her rear windows of the house last winter and it worked but the real fix was replacing the windows. She put in vynil windows and put some spray foam in the rough stud opening and the room just warmed up a fair bit.
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2006
1918 posts
10 upvotes
KELOWNA
If you own this house you might want to pull off the trim around the window (use the old smoke test to figure out if it's the whole window leaking or just one part and pull off the trim in that area). Then just buy some insulation or Great Stuff and fill any spaces between the window and framing and reinstall the trim. Also caulk/seal the exterior around the trim or anywhere else that could allow air through.

If the window is actually leaking between the window and it's jam those kits work well or you can just buy clear self adhesive tape to seal up those edges temporarily.

One caution with those plastic/tape kits...someone used them on this house and when I removed them they took the paint. I have no idea if they had been on too long or if the paint was just crap, but they left a mess.
Nov 22, 2006
132 posts
1 upvote
Dustbunny wrote:
Nov 21st, 2007 5:36 am
Then just buy some insulation or Great Stuff and fill any spaces between the window and framing and reinstall the trim. A.
Just make sure you buy the low expansion window/door foam. Regular foam can warp your window frame if not used carefully.
Oct 17, 2007
103 posts
1 upvote
Dustbunny wrote:
Nov 21st, 2007 5:36 am
If you own this house you might want to pull off the trim around the window (use the old smoke test to figure out if it's the whole window leaking or just one part and pull off the trim in that area). Then just buy some insulation or Great Stuff and fill any spaces between the window and framing and reinstall the trim. Also caulk/seal the exterior around the trim or anywhere else that could allow air through.

If the window is actually leaking between the window and it's jam those kits work well or you can just buy clear self adhesive tape to seal up those edges temporarily.

One caution with those plastic/tape kits...someone used them on this house and when I removed them they took the paint. I have no idea if they had been on too long or if the paint was just crap, but they left a mess.
Where do you buy this "Great Stuff"?
× < >