Home & Garden

Cold Bedroom above Garage - Insulation Question? (2018)

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 12th, 2019 7:13 pm
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2009
1399 posts
513 upvotes
Hamilton
Jerico wrote:
Aug 27th, 2018 3:40 am
7” of closed cell spray foam is r35 min. That open cell crap is r4 total.
Honestly if you want it done right this is the answer. I did it in my old house and it worked well. It will also seal the ducts likely getting cold as they get to the regoster.

Open cell is crap and useless. Tear the ceiling down and do it with closed cell to notice a difference.
Aug 16, 2007
698 posts
40 upvotes
Red_Army wrote:
Aug 26th, 2018 4:04 pm
That yellow open cell foam is junk and utterly useless.
Any house that I’ve seen that has it has had a cold room above it.
It’s almost always removed and re sprayed with closed cell foam during any renovation I’ve been a part of
Agreed. That builder foam is junk. I had the same gotnit resprayed and now have one of the hottest rooms above the garage
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
2841 posts
591 upvotes
Oshawa
I have the same issue in Oshawa ... detached home was built in 2006.

We have ONE bedroom (used as a guestroom with a queen sized bed and a cathedral ceiling in the front) above the garage as well ... it has two vents (also located in the front below the large window). It too is bloody cold even when we have the heat at 21 degrees.

The garage measures 14'6" (wide) x 19'10" (deep) with no door entrance to the house (which is a great ... no wasted space because of the stairwell ... no door for the heat to escape from the inside of the house).

The garage is already dry-walled and it has a side window ... I am actually quite confident to say that the walls were NOT insulated ... basically studs up for the garage frame ... holes drilled through the studs for the electrical wiring ... and then the drywalls were put up. Call it DONE!

I had to foam up the cracks between the drywall and the frame of the window.

The garage door is still original ... thin metal ... non-insulated.

The only thing that I can think of is changing my garage door. However, the solution would still not solve the issue. Ripping down the drywall and insulating it properly ... but that would been way too much work and realistically would rather channel the costs in doing that to the unfinished basement.

Another major issue is that I had put up shelving all around the garage when we moved in ... it utilizes the entire back wall on 8' studs from the ground up ... 5' deep ... three levels ... too much of a hassle and headache to tear down ...
Stress is caused by NOT fishing enough.
JDM ONLY! No North American CRAP!
Megabass, Imakatsu, Jackall, GanCraft, OSP, EverGreen, YGK, Toray, Sunline, Nories, Shimano, Daiwa RULES!
EVA Air Rocks ... Air Canada SUCKS!
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2015
3898 posts
1028 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
OP: So added more insulation in garage ceiling only or walls as well? @a3dview Thanks.

My often mentioned and delayed project [one of many] is to better insulate garage so two bedrooms above it are more in line with temps in rest of house... Did top up attic insulation last year so that helped.

Would say temp diffs are like 2-3F.

What does not help is that back of house gets much more sunlight then front where garage and two bedrooms are. Plus it's a small house however there is a cathedral ceiling at front of house [1/2 space of great room] so as hot air rises probably lose more then usual as roof above cathedral ceiling not well insulated in all likelihood based on experience.

Back to my question... wondering if better insulating garage ceiling and sealing joists ONLY will help two bedrooms above?
Else, much more work to insulate garage walls [one side facing outside and not sure if insulated].

Not interested in warming up garage space but rather keep cold from garage getting into house so kind of like what did with adding more attic insulation. Separate living space from heat loss in winter and keep summer heat out.

Once open up garage ceiling will see what is there and check what damage the vent that opens up into garage ceiling has done [neighbours have told me our houses have vent in garage ceiling]. May repurpose this vent and redirect to bedroom where existing vent not supplying enough heat/cool.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
2098 posts
484 upvotes
Windsor
a3dview wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 1:09 pm
Just feedback:
So I decided to give it try - the cheaper solution first, if that did not work then I would move to other recommended more expensive solutions next years.
Hired someone for blown-in insulation ~$500 and ask to make 2-3 cuts and fill all sides between spray foam and drywall area. I noticed a reasonable improvement immediately.
The room above garage vs home temp. difference:
Oct./fall - no temp. difference.
Nov-Dec - a minor difference in temp like 1-3 degree (e.g. home temp 23C while room 20 to 21 C).
Jan (-22 degree outside today) - a reasonable but acceptable difference 3-5 degree (e.g. home temp 23C while room 18 to 19 C).

I am thinking if I update garage door to insulated, it could be better during extreme freeze days or will simply turn on room heater during deep freeze days.
Good to see a followup! You mentioned you added new carpet when you were looking to start this project, but does that room have an air return? If it doesn't, when you added carpet, you might've reduced the gap under the door, which will not allow the room to stay as warm (when the door is closed).
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.