Personal Finance

Collections Agency Keeps Calling Wrong Number?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 12th, 2018 5:06 pm
[OP]
Nov 23, 2010
875 posts
257 upvotes
Toronto

Collections Agency Keeps Calling Wrong Number?

So for the past 6 months or so, I have had a collections agency keep calling my cell number

Total Credit Recovery: 18664937478

The person they are asking for I have never heard of

I have had my cell phone number since 1999, so pretty sure it's not some person that previously held my cell number.

I have picked up a few times and very nicely told them that they have the wrong number. They informed me that they would update what ever file and remove my number.

They have left voicemails with a case number, which I call back and ask them about, but they can't discuss it since I am not the person they are looking for, again they promise to remove my number.

I finally just blocked totally, but they still keep calling and leaving like 3 second voice mails.

I'm not sure what else I can do, I already told them they have the wrong number, blocked their calls and was hoping that they just stop calling. But it's been 6 months now and they still call twice a day.

Is there anything I can do to make these guys stop?
15 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2012
1696 posts
654 upvotes
Kitchener
Threaten to take them to small claims court if they don't stop calling.

Another thing you can do is answer the phone and then put them on mute for 20 minutes or so. They'll eventually give up.
Well, I am not a crook.
May 16, 2017
334 posts
357 upvotes
jeff1970 wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 5:01 pm
Threaten to take them to small claims court if they don't stop calling.

Another thing you can do is answer the phone and then put them on mute for 20 minutes or so. They'll eventually give up.
Doubt if small claims is a good threat as it probably lacks jurisdiction for this kind of action.

Ontario rules:

If you're contacted by mistake
A collection agency can’t keep contacting you if:

you send a registered letter to the agency saying that you dispute the debt and suggest the matter be taken to court
you (or your lawyer or paralegal) send a registered letter with your lawyer or paralegal’s contact information telling the agency to communicate only with your lawyer or paralegal
you have told them that you are not the person they are looking for, unless the agency has taken reasonable steps to make sure you are the person that they should be contacting

If a collection agency has broken the rules, you can send the agency a letter and include what you believe they did wrong and that you expect them to follow the law

If this does not resolve the problem, file a complaint with us.
https://www.ontario.ca/page/filing-consumer-complaint
Jan 19, 2006
375 posts
157 upvotes
BC
Troll them!

Same thing happened to me. When they called (every day) asking for James ____ I began to respond "go ahead", rather than saying "you need to stop calling my number". Guess they thought "go ahead" meant "yes this is James ____" and they would discuss specifics of James' not paying his debut to the Brick blah blah. I then called their number to cease this crap and I disclosed that they had violated James' confidentiality. Calls stopped.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2001
1766 posts
818 upvotes
Toronto
Unless you have a very old phone. Why don't you blacklist the number on your cell phone?
chillychin wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 4:30 pm
So for the past 6 months or so, I have had a collections agency keep calling my cell number

I have had my cell phone number since 1999, so pretty sure it's not some person that previously held my cell number.

I have picked up a few times and very nicely told them that they have the wrong number. They informed me that they would update what ever file and remove my number.

They have left voicemails with a case number, which I call back and ask them about, but they can't discuss it since I am not the person they are looking for, again they promise to remove my number.

I finally just blocked totally, but they still keep calling and leaving like 3 second voice mails.

I'm not sure what else I can do, I already told them they have the wrong number, blocked their calls and was hoping that they just stop calling. But it's been 6 months now and they still call twice a day.

[OP]
Nov 23, 2010
875 posts
257 upvotes
Toronto
robsaw wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 9:16 pm
Doubt if small claims is a good threat as it probably lacks jurisdiction for this kind of action.

Ontario rules:

If you're contacted by mistake
A collection agency can’t keep contacting you if:

you send a registered letter to the agency saying that you dispute the debt and suggest the matter be taken to court
you (or your lawyer or paralegal) send a registered letter with your lawyer or paralegal’s contact information telling the agency to communicate only with your lawyer or paralegal
you have told them that you are not the person they are looking for, unless the agency has taken reasonable steps to make sure you are the person that they should be contacting

If a collection agency has broken the rules, you can send the agency a letter and include what you believe they did wrong and that you expect them to follow the law

If this does not resolve the problem, file a complaint with us.
https://www.ontario.ca/page/filing-consumer-complaint
Thanks for this, tried filing a complaint just now
[OP]
Nov 23, 2010
875 posts
257 upvotes
Toronto
lurker99 wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 10:01 pm
Unless you have a very old phone. Why don't you blacklist the number on your cell phone?
I did blacklist them (Galaxy S9+)

The issue is that every time they call they are now leaving voice mails.

So when I check my phone sometimes I randomly see "missed voice mail". Then I need to check my voice mail and delete them.

Its fine if they just called, then I can block. But now they are leaving voice mails - Which my voice mail CLEARLY states my name, so its OBVIOUS I am not the person they are looking for.

But again they continue to leave voice mails, which is really annoying since I dont have a large voice mail in box (about 10).
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2007
9046 posts
882 upvotes
Toronto
chillychin wrote:

I had a similar situation after getting a recycled phone number.

The calls wouldn’t stop and their workers must have been desperate because they would text me at 11pm or later.

It got so bad that the woman that called me every day I went ballistic on her and threatened her job since she was breaking laws. She went on a tirade about the calls being recorded so I replied “good, let it be known on this recording that this is not the person you are looking for and if you call me again I will have you charged with harassment and anything else that is possible I will have the full wrath of everything possible happen to you”

Guess how long the calls stopped for... they didn’t.

I actually did send a letter off stating to cease this nonsense and whatnot. It still didn’t. The only thing I could do was change my phone number again. Haven’t had a problem since.

To those saying block the number. These scavengers at the bottom constantly spoof their number and make it look like a local number. So that method does nothing. The only other thing that can be done really is to have a whitelist of numbers that can call you. But that I would refuse to do.

Most people need to also realize that these agencies don’t give any care to the law. If you send a letter they’ll just shred it. They don’t care and won’t ever care. How people do this job every day is beyond any mentally comprehensible reason. The one that wouldn’t stop calling me even after explaining a million times can rot in hell for all I care.
Apr 2, 2016
314 posts
143 upvotes
chillychin wrote:

You need to politely but firmly tell them to remove your number from their system, to stop contacting you, and that if they don't, you will be contacting the RCMP to file a harassment complaint. They are legally required to cease contact with you at that point. You may have to do this a few times as the debt might get sold off to another collection agency. Same crap happened to me when I got a new cell number, and it took a few years to clear up because they would always call me while I was at work with my phone in a locker.
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2006
1946 posts
155 upvotes
Downtown Toronto
that sounds really annoying. Especially that you are not who they are looking for. Because they are told they have the wrong number so many times from the person who wants to dodge them so they don't trust you. Or anyone for that matter and will keep harassing you until they sell off your account to the next desperate penny on the dollar loser company
[OP]
Nov 23, 2010
875 posts
257 upvotes
Toronto
yatta wrote:
Nov 9th, 2018 3:02 pm
that sounds really annoying. Especially that you are not who they are looking for. Because they are told they have the wrong number so many times from the person who wants to dodge them so they don't trust you. Or anyone for that matter and will keep harassing you until they sell off your account to the next desperate penny on the dollar loser company
I was debating just going in physically in person to this collections agency, with my cell phone bill and ID and just show them LOOK this is MY registered number, and this is my legal name - Stop calling!

Will see how it works out over the next few weeks as I will be away on a vacation - If I find my voicemail inbox full of their nonsense then I will likely go in physically to speak with them
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2007
9046 posts
882 upvotes
Toronto
chillychin wrote:
Nov 9th, 2018 6:57 pm
I was debating just going in physically in person to this collections agency, with my cell phone bill and ID and just show them LOOK this is MY registered number, and this is my legal name - Stop calling!

Will see how it works out over the next few weeks as I will be away on a vacation - If I find my voicemail inbox full of their nonsense then I will likely go in physically to speak with them
If your able to easily get a new number just do that. Going there will.most likely get you a sympathetic response but I doubt it will do anything
Jul 29, 2013
564 posts
231 upvotes
XtremeModder wrote:
Nov 10th, 2018 9:39 am
If your able to easily get a new number just do that. Going there will.most likely get you a sympathetic response but I doubt it will do anything
You are not dealing with sane people here.

Do as the above poster said, just change your number. Easy, quick and effective but a pain in the assp to inform friends.
I have been getting robo calls for five years on a bill that was not mine. Calls stopped about two months ago but like this morning I got a call at 7:30am -- silence then goodbye. Enough to ruin my Saturday sleep in. Happens about once a month. Not sure who it was but who else.

It costs them nothing to leave a robo message hoping to wear you down and pay it even if it is not your debt.

Beat them at their own game and drop the number.

I made the mistake of calling them back on another phone to say the debt was not mine so they have been calling both lines for 5 years.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 16, 2007
6937 posts
1830 upvotes
Financial District B…
chillychin wrote:
Nov 9th, 2018 6:57 pm

All collections and recovery agencies receive credit default data from the original creditor.
Everything from debtors name, address, phone numbers, work address and phone, credit bureau and the defaulted amount, etc is all surrendered to the collection agency.
The wrong number may actually be from the creditor that commissioned or sold the defaulted account to.
Your first course of action is to try contact the original creditor and have the phone number data corrected.
It's unlikely the collection agency will even listen to you as they may deem your disclosure as nothing more than deflecting the calls.
----------------------------Licensed Credit Bureau member, S1, FI Automotive, CCP forums most banned = x 13 and counting, guess who that is?... stomped to the curb once again

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)