Personal Finance

COLLECTIONS AND COLLECTION AGENTS: Ask me anything! (Official RFD Thread)

Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2004
4456 posts
2127 upvotes
Vancouver
headaike wrote:
Apr 9th, 2017 9:39 pm
Sorry If I confused you with the dates
The incident happened last year June 2016. Credit valley was sending the bill to my old address and it was then passed over to collections on April 2017 so it's only been a few months
Ah, I thought it was 4 years old. I would definitely pay it then, if it's only 10 months old, or it very well could end up on your credit report. $50 is a very small amount of money. That ambulance was heavily subsidized (probably cost tax payers about $800). The $50 is a reasonable cost.
Apr 12, 2017
1 posts
Hi,

I have some debts that are currently in collections and are about to be in collections.
Is there anyone that is willing to privately message me so that we can discuss my potential plan to approach these things ?
I know this is a public forum but I just get a lot of anxiety from the idea of sharing it in a large group setting.

Thank you in advance.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4094 posts
418 upvotes
Barrys Bay
DasFane wrote:
Apr 13th, 2017 5:50 pm
Hi,

I have some debts that are currently in collections and are about to be in collections.
Is there anyone that is willing to privately message me so that we can discuss my potential plan to approach these things ?
I know this is a public forum but I just get a lot of anxiety from the idea of sharing it in a large group setting.

Thank you in advance.
1) If in collections they are in collections....not going to be in collections!

2) plan to approach = not paying or acknowleging debt, wait 6-7 year still off credit report, or offer to pay collections and have it marked as paid and be able to apply for credit sooner.

3) sharing = getting opinions that may or may not matter
Sep 6, 2016
235 posts
50 upvotes
theguyz wrote:
Apr 14th, 2017 6:51 pm

2) plan to approach = not paying or acknowleging debt, wait 6-7 year still off credit report, or offer to pay collections and have it marked as paid and be able to apply for credit sooner.
If you are not sure tell nothing

It is three years when the collection is visible to public

If you pay or if you do not pay, a collection will be on your report until 6 -7 years
Everyone has two choices: to Pay always or not pay without trial
Apr 17, 2017
1 posts
Hi, I am wondering if applying for a pre-approved mortgage shows up on your credit report? I understand that anytime you apply for credit (overdraft, credit card, etc.) it shows up on your credit report, but does the pre-approved mortgage work the same way?
Dec 26, 2011
13 posts
3 upvotes
NORTH YORK
question what if you owe some money- not to a bank or the government or spousal support more like a store credit card - and it has gone to collections and you are not working anymore- pensioner?

can you ignore the calls? no income other than old age security and canada pension.
Jun 29, 2012
572 posts
139 upvotes
Vancouver
franklin66 wrote:
Apr 27th, 2017 3:06 pm
question what if you owe some money- not to a bank or the government or spousal support more like a store credit card - and it has gone to collections and you are not working anymore- pensioner?

can you ignore the calls? no income other than old age security and canada pension.
Yes. Just answer and tell them that the person is collecting OAS and CP and that they are exempt from garnishment. They can be sued but do not have to pay.
Dec 26, 2011
13 posts
3 upvotes
NORTH YORK
TheDogAteMyName wrote:
Apr 27th, 2017 9:16 pm
Yes. Just answer and tell them that the person is collecting OAS and CP and that they are exempt from garnishment. They can be sued but do not have to pay.
yeah i looked into this thing and read a lot from this thread. this thing has been in collections for more than 2 years now i'd say three at least.-ontario

can't be sued now. what information is a collection agency able to obtain about a person? birth date? i ask this because i would be surprised they don't know his age.
Jul 22, 2015
176 posts
32 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Haynesworth wrote:
Apr 23rd, 2017 4:15 pm
Hi, I have a few questions and hoping someone can help me. Here is the low down...
I purchased a vehicle from a friends friend. The car was in the impound lot and was on the verge of going to auction within a few days.
The deal was I would pay impound fees which I paid approximately $1700.00 +$180.00 to have it towed to my house and the guy would get his stuff out of the vehicle and I keep the car.
It didn't have any keys with it and all the tires were bald except one was Flat and had to be replaced before driving it. Actually all the tires needed replacing.
I figured after I got a key made and replaced the tires I would still be ahead and give my wife a daily driver. So I got a key made $220.00 and bought new tires for it $835.00
So now I'm into it for around $2950.00 I figure it's worth around $6000. When I finally was able to get inside of it there were a bunch of wires hanging there under the dash and a black GPS module thing in the middle compartment. I didn't know what any of this was for until a friend told me it's a GPS logger so the car dealer can find it if the owner missed a payment or want to reposes it. He said do a car proof on it (which I had no idea what that was.) So he did one and said there is a lien on it and money owed on it to a one of those no credit high interest Car places. Approximately $4000.00 owed on it. I am so stupid!!! I didn't even know about the car proof thing! On the bill of sale it says there are no liens on it. I registered it already and the wife has been driving it. I don't know what to do because I have already spent a lot of money getting it from impound and a key, new tires ect...My buddy said the GPS has been disabled so the place would have no idea where it was but it's their right to have it towed back to them if they happen to find it. I didn't think you could register a vehicle if it has a lien on it? Now I'm scared to let my wife drive it in case it gets towed away. I am going to be out almost $3000.00 of hard earned money!
Any advice or help would be appreciated... PLEASE HELP ME OUT
Thanks!
Pay off the lien so there is no longer a lien on the vehicle and you 100% own the car. Then sue the company who told you there was no lien on the car.
Dec 26, 2011
13 posts
3 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Haynesworth wrote:
Apr 23rd, 2017 4:15 pm
Hi, I have a few questions and hoping someone can help me. Here is the low down...
I purchased a vehicle from a friends friend. The car was in the impound lot and was on the verge of going to auction within a few days.
The deal was I would pay impound fees which I paid approximately $1700.00 +$180.00 to have it towed to my house and the guy would get his stuff out of the vehicle and I keep the car.
It didn't have any keys with it and all the tires were bald except one was Flat and had to be replaced before driving it. Actually all the tires needed replacing.
I figured after I got a key made and replaced the tires I would still be ahead and give my wife a daily driver. So I got a key made $220.00 and bought new tires for it $835.00
So now I'm into it for around $2950.00 I figure it's worth around $6000. When I finally was able to get inside of it there were a bunch of wires hanging there under the dash and a black GPS module thing in the middle compartment. I didn't know what any of this was for until a friend told me it's a GPS logger so the car dealer can find it if the owner missed a payment or want to reposes it. He said do a car proof on it (which I had no idea what that was.) So he did one and said there is a lien on it and money owed on it to a one of those no credit high interest Car places. Approximately $4000.00 owed on it. I am so stupid!!! I didn't even know about the car proof thing! On the bill of sale it says there are no liens on it. I registered it already and the wife has been driving it. I don't know what to do because I have already spent a lot of money getting it from impound and a key, new tires ect...My buddy said the GPS has been disabled so the place would have no idea where it was but it's their right to have it towed back to them if they happen to find it. I didn't think you could register a vehicle if it has a lien on it? Now I'm scared to let my wife drive it in case it gets towed away. I am going to be out almost $3000.00 of hard earned money!
Any advice or help would be appreciated... PLEASE HELP ME OUT
Thanks!
i think you should have posted this in automotive instead of here.

i had something similar happen to me bought something from a friend of a friend and ..... what my friend did when he found out was pay me the amount owing and he got that amount from the guy( not sure how he got the money out of him never asked)- pays to have good friends.
Apr 30, 2017
2 posts
Hi there. I have a collections agent calling me and i was hoping i could make the full payment of $143 this week but my paycheck still hasnt come in. I told him i only have $5 (as thats what i had to put down twice before as a payment of good faith i believe its called, for different debts owed to the same company) But he wouldnt accept the $5. He said the best he could do is $45 and asked if i can borrow money off someone but i literally cant. I've borrowed $600 off friends this month to just pay rent because of my paycheck not coming through in time. I ended up telling the guy "do what you want, all i have is $5, have a good day" and i hung up. Can he send me to true collections now? I know when i was trying to pay my Visa off, a payment i put through wasnt enough and the guy said id have bad credit now for 6 years, but then a 2nd agent from the same company called a week later and said she was part of pre-collections and now i have to pay a minumum every 2 weeks to avoid bad credit for 6 years. What can i expect will happen after hanging up on this guy over him not accepting my $5 as a payment in good faith, to make a deal.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4977 posts
2477 upvotes
Edmonton
Jenny421 wrote:
May 1st, 2017 2:06 pm
Hi there. I have a collections agent calling me and i was hoping i could make the full payment of $143 this week but my paycheck still hasnt come in. I told him i only have $5 (as thats what i had to put down twice before as a payment of good faith i believe its called, for different debts owed to the same company) But he wouldnt accept the $5. He said the best he could do is $45 and asked if i can borrow money off someone but i literally cant. I've borrowed $600 off friends this month to just pay rent because of my paycheck not coming through in time. I ended up telling the guy "do what you want, all i have is $5, have a good day" and i hung up. Can he send me to true collections now? I know when i was trying to pay my Visa off, a payment i put through wasnt enough and the guy said id have bad credit now for 6 years, but then a 2nd agent from the same company called a week later and said she was part of pre-collections and now i have to pay a minumum every 2 weeks to avoid bad credit for 6 years. What can i expect will happen after hanging up on this guy over him not accepting my $5 as a payment in good faith, to make a deal.
What do you think "true collections" are? The whole thing sounds like manipulation to get you to continue paying.

If you really don't have the money and can't get it, then there's not much they can do besides keep on calling you and asking you for it. Pay them what you agreed to pay them when your cheque comes in. And deal with that issue, as well. Why aren't your paycheques coming when you expect them to?

C
Apr 30, 2017
2 posts
Well they say they are pre collections. So if I dial to pay them in time then I get bad credit for 6 years. But to my knowledge right now I'm not in the stage of having a permanent mark for 6 years on my credit (I think they called it a r9 notice)
I haven't had the most reliable work and this recent paycheck is now 2 weeks later as the payment company switched brands and my bank info became incorrect somehow
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4977 posts
2477 upvotes
Edmonton
Jenny421 wrote:
May 1st, 2017 3:31 pm
Well they say they are pre collections. So if I dial to pay them in time then I get bad credit for 6 years. But to my knowledge right now I'm not in the stage of having a permanent mark for 6 years on my credit (I think they called it a r9 notice)
I haven't had the most reliable work and this recent paycheck is now 2 weeks later as the payment company switched brands and my bank info became incorrect somehow
Have you checked your credit report from Transunion or Equifax?

It is what it is... If you REALLY don't have the money to give them, then what are you going to do? You could try to sell something to get the money, but other than that... They can't take blood from a stone.

C
Oct 2, 2013
498 posts
76 upvotes
Mississauga
Hi, so i got a collection account on my file and its apprently from an overseas bank and many years old. i have lived in that country but dont believe that i owe anything to anyone.

Do they collection company have any right to put my credit into collection just by buying a loan apparently > what should be my next steps to get this removed from my equifax account ? should i dispute with equifax > whats the best case scenario and solution to get my credit back to a good score ?

i have read many horror stories and this feels like will be one of them.

i would greatly appreciate some help.