Personal Finance

COLLECTIONS AND COLLECTION AGENTS: Ask me anything! (Official RFD Thread)

May 29, 2017
0 posts
So about a week ago I got a call from a collection agency. They told me that a claim was open 9 days prior to that day from a 6 year old direct gas bill. I was wondering if there was some sort of statute of limitations in Alberta that prevents them from opening a claim that old. Especially when I'm 90 % sure I paid for it 6 years ago. Trying to get the bank to reopen statements on an account that's been closed for 5 years has felt like a punishment. And I have no other means of proving my payment. Have any advice on the matter?
May 30, 2017
1 posts
Hi... I have a few questions. 1st I owe money about $8000.00 to one credit card, I never intended to have it go to collections but things happen. They have handed the file off to a second collector (Aro) they called wanted all the money I explained that I am willing to work with them but I am not in a good spot right now, in last year have gone on to full time disability I have MS and so my income has dropped drastically. They suggest to borrow money from family...that won't happen, get a loan... bank laughs at that, refinance house or sell it...I have to live somewhere so I will stay in my home that is set up for me.he then offered a buyout of $5100. I realize that's not bad but I don't have this. After a frustrating call for both of us he daid he would call back after the weekend. He never did and this week I got a letter from someone they said they have been contacted by Aro to try one final time and if we can't settle they will be proceeding with court action. The letter came registered but I did not sign it, someone who lives at the house signed it. And when I look up the address of the he law firm it is Aro's address and no legal anything ro it. My question is. ..help...I need suggestions what would be my options or how should I approach this and what can they do
May 31, 2017
2 posts
1 upvote
I recently got my TransUnion credit report and it is showing 2 soft inquiries (December 29, 2016 and January 10, 2017) from Global Credit and Collections. I have zero items past due, nothing in collections, no bankruptcy, anything. My credit score with Equifax is 786 and, according to Credit Karma, with TransUnion it is 781 and both reports confirm nothing in collections. These inquiries are only showing with TU, not Equifax.

I called TransUnion to inquire about how they had been allowed to do the inquiry and they couldn't tell me, but it concerns me that they obviously had enough information about me to get a soft hit on my bureau. I realize that soft inquiries do not affect my score, but I'm still annoyed by this so I disputed the inquiries with TransUnion and got a letter this week saying that the items were valid and would not be removed from my report (not that lenders see that portion anyways...) I prefer not to contact the Global as collection agencies are notoriously difficult to deal with and I'm not in the mood to fight over something that might not matter at all.

Has anyone had a situation like this or could offer me some insight on why/how this company is requesting my information?
May 31, 2017
2 posts
1 upvote
T043125 wrote:
May 31st, 2017 10:46 pm
Hi... I have a few questions. 1st I owe money about $8000.00 to one credit card, I never intended to have it go to collections but things happen. They have handed the file off to a second collector (Aro) they called wanted all the money I explained that I am willing to work with them but I am not in a good spot right now, in last year have gone on to full time disability I have MS and so my income has dropped drastically. They suggest to borrow money from family...that won't happen, get a loan... bank laughs at that, refinance house or sell it...I have to live somewhere so I will stay in my home that is set up for me.he then offered a buyout of $5100. I realize that's not bad but I don't have this. After a frustrating call for both of us he daid he would call back after the weekend. He never did and this week I got a letter from someone they said they have been contacted by Aro to try one final time and if we can't settle they will be proceeding with court action. The letter came registered but I did not sign it, someone who lives at the house signed it. And when I look up the address of the he law firm it is Aro's address and no legal anything ro it. My question is. ..help...I need suggestions what would be my options or how should I approach this and what can they do
Best guess, they're bluffing. Collection agencies buy debt for pennies on the dollar - I'd imagine it would be generous to assume they paid 25% ($2000) of your debt to buy it from the original creditor. Legal costs to collect on $2000, would be greater than the amount they are collecting. They're just trying to scare you into paying.

If they offered you a buyout of $5100 they would likely take half that. If you can come up with $2500, offer them that and see what they say. That being said, all that will do is get them off your back. The item will still be in your credit report for 6 or 7 years from the date of last activity. They may tell you they will remove it, but to the best of my knowledge that won't happen; only invalid items get removed.
Jun 12, 2017
1 posts
Commercial credit adjusters sent me mail. I called and they hung up on me after freaking out on me like an infant. I want to take the to court. They bought a debt from a company that WOULD NOT stop billing me...after 3 calls to attempt to do so. How do u go about this?
Jun 13, 2017
1 posts
Hi RFD

I just received a Demand Notice from RSBC (student loans) 3rd party section 83 and to my bank I am presently on PWD (disability) and have been for the last 4 years due to medical issues that are getting increasingly worse.

In the past RSCB has sent me an application to fill out....... monthly financial costs (rent,food,transportation etc.) and then gave me grace (hardship) confused as why they are going right to Demand

My question is can RSBC take my disability support as it goes direct to my bank account ...and what can I do about this?
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2016
1867 posts
683 upvotes
MaureenSG wrote:
Jun 14th, 2017 10:11 pm
Hi RFD

I just received a Demand Notice from RSBC (student loans) 3rd party section 83 and to my bank I am presently on PWD (disability) and have been for the last 4 years due to medical issues that are getting increasingly worse.

In the past RSCB has sent me an application to fill out....... monthly financial costs (rent,food,transportation etc.) and then gave me grace (hardship) confused as why they are going right to Demand

My question is can RSBC take my disability support as it goes direct to my bank account ...and what can I do about this?
If there is a judgement against you, yes they can access your bank account. However, you can dispute the withdrawal if they are taking certain benefits such as a a disability check.

If this is one of the old student loans administered by your bank, the bank has a "right of setoff". They can automatically take money you owe them from an account you hold with them. Again, you can dispute it in the case of a disability check, but good luck with getting your money back.

Its always best to have a bank account, used for deposits, in an institution that you have no defaulted debt.

For more information and advice visit here: canadastudentdebt.ca
Jun 14, 2017
2 posts
I am sorry if I am not doing this properly, I cant figure out how to post on a new message... I have a concern, about SOL and such, I had a item for 2500 in collections and it has dropped off both trans union as well as equafax, I am in Ontario. recently the past month a collection agency started calling me again, I told them that this is wrong and the debt was written off and at 0. they have sent a letter with a law cororation stating that I have 15 days to pay up. now this debt was originally from 1996, my credit card insurance was covering as I was off on wsib, I had thought after 1 year they paid a amount and settled, and I could be totally wrong. apparently I am as they are calling, the calls started 2003 which I told them insurance dealth with it. at one point it was on my credit reports up till about maybe 2 years ago and now it no longer is on either reports. I did not agree with any payments, other than to tell them they are incorrect and the debt was written off and at ) which is what my bank told me 3 years ago when I re-did my mortgage. can they sue me? Garnish wages at this point? I know they can continue to harass me but I am concerned about legal action and what rights I might have? Any help would be wonderful thank you
Jun 18, 2017
5 posts
2 upvotes
Hello Everyone,
Here is my situation. Looking for some guidance. How would you proceed?

Got approved for a mortgage, conditional on having my collection "paid in full". It is a TD Visa R9 from 2012 for $2900. TD is also the one giving me the mortgage. Closing is july 31.

Question 1: The "reset" if payments/inquiries are made. Read quite a number of pages in this thread. Some said that the date will not actually reset if the amount is a lump sum. Others say no matter what, it will reset and stay for another 6 years. Being that this was owed back in 2012, I'm half a year away from having it purge from my record. Someone else in the thread mentioned the last date of activity is actually the last payment you made. This would then be october 2011, making it months away from it being purged from my record. So i guess the question is: any way to go about so as not to trigger a reset? does it even reset?

Questions 2: Do i just call the collection agency and offer them up a settlement amount? If so what is a fair amount? i've heard everywhere from 25% - 60% of amount owed.

Question 3: I hear everybody saying i should get it in writing. What should i get them to say in the letter? I need it to say "paid in full" even if we settle on another amount. Is this normal practice? or will they not do this.

Question 4: the r9 from td states the correct date (2012). But the collection part under "collection accounts" states aug 2016. Does the collection part not also fall off after 6 years? Do i contact equifax/transunion once the timperiod passes to get it removed?

Overall, looking for advice on how you would tackle the situation in regards to timing, settling etc. What is the best case scenario?

much appreciated!

Here is what is on my record:
Overview

Agency nameCCL 877 271 8275
Reported Aug 16 2016
Opened dateJan 26, 2016
Closed date—
Current balance$2,984
Original Amount$2,980
Account Details
Original creditorCCL 877 271 8275

TD Credit Cards, Reported april 13 2012
Balance$0
Limit—
Account StatusClosed
Opened dateFeb 17, 2006
Closed date—
Account Details
TypeRevolving account
ResponsibilityIndividual
NarrativesBad Debt Write Off
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2002
1878 posts
65 upvotes
Toronto
Back in beginning of May I started to receive multiple phone calls per day, everyday by a debt collections called CBV Collections asking for a person who is not myself. I have told them multiple times that they are calling the incorrect person yet kept on calling. I filed a complaint to Consumer Protection Ontario but it look over 2 weeks for them to reply back to my complaint but by that time I guess I got lucky and contacted the right person at CVB because after explaining the situation, I have stopped receiving calls for good.

Now today, I have yet again received a phone call from a debt collector called EOS Canada. It was automated machine calling and one thing I noticed was that... they were looking for same person again!
This time I sent a complaint email to EOS Canada right away and this time I asked if they can share the information of the source company which this debt is owed to.

I am not sure how these debt collections work so maybe someone can give me some info?
Do debt collections get debt from whomever they are looking for and pay back to the original (source) company and get paid?
Or do they pay off the source company to get these debt informations?

I have already sent email to Consumer Protection Ontario asking what they can do to stop this from happening in the future.

I would appreciate whatever feedback you people can give me.

Thanks.
Deal Addict
Jan 26, 2007
2684 posts
72 upvotes
Here's a video of some guy trolling/serving EOS/NCN :D

Based on what he said, I wonder if there's any grounds for suing.
I post, you decide.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2010
1276 posts
46 upvotes
Aurora
A family member has left the country and left debt, car, credit card etc. People keep calling my cell phone saying they have a message for "family-member". Family-members car iss parked on our driveway. Will the collectors eventually just take his car, or do we have to talk to them and instruct them on the next steps?
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4977 posts
2477 upvotes
Edmonton
tido88 wrote:
Jul 27th, 2017 1:31 pm
A family member has left the country and left debt, car, credit card etc. People keep calling my cell phone saying they have a message for "family-member". Family-members car iss parked on our driveway. Will the collectors eventually just take his car, or do we have to talk to them and instruct them on the next steps?
A collection agent SHOULDN'T be giving you any information on any debts owed or the status of any collections, unless you're included in the hit list. And you can't give any instructions for the disposal of any property, since it's not yours to dispose of. If they keep bugging you, you should follow the processes listed in here to complain to them and the related consumer agencies, and they can deal with the family member directly.

C
Oct 15, 2016
82 posts
17 upvotes
Hoping to get some guidance here.
Just checked my credit report and see that I have something from York University that was added by EOS Canada.
Upon verifying the details, it's a valid outstanding debt with York (I've moved 3-4 times since leaving York and I appear to have an outstanding balance).

I have full intention of paying the entire amount and can do so 1 shot, but I need to figure out what's the best way to do it.

I can log into my York account, and see the balance is still there, and I can go online an pay York U directly -- will this get the collections off my credit report?

Or do I need to deal with EOS and pay them.

What method will result in me getting my credit file back to normal? This just dropped my credit score below 700 (dropped it by almost 40 pts).
Koodo & Public Mobile Customer.
Aug 1, 2017
18 posts
I feel that collections agencies need to have stricter regulations. I know Collections Agencies do collect for a lot of legitimate debts, but their bad reputation is from trying to collect debt that is disputed as fraudulent or making identity mistakes. They put an item in collections without having a copy of an actual contract, signed work order, or judgement. They are free to put alleged debt, without evidence, on your credit report, ruin your credit, without having any consequences when they make a mistake.

I had a contacted a company for a free quote/consultation about a servicing of an item over 2.5 years ago. This company then sends me an invoice and work sheet shortly after the free consultation in the mail showing that they had not only provided servicing to the item I had a consultation for, but added another servicing for another item which I don't own. I called the company and told them that I never had an actual service done, it was a free consultation. They insisted that the invoice and work sheet were correct and that if I didn't pay they would send it to collections. I told them they were free to file with small claims and go to court and provide evidence that I actually owe them the money.

Several months later I get a letter from a collections agency requesting I pay for this servicing. The amount of the invoice was around 200.00. I called the collections agency and told them that this was money was not owed and I wanted them to send me documentation showing that I owed this money. I never received anything in the mail and the collections agency never called me back. My credit was good and I didn't need to apply for credit so never thought about it. So I went to apply for a credit card a few weeks ago and I was declined. I look at my credit report and there is this item for 200.00 in collections that was posted at the beginning of July, two years after this item went to collections. I contacted the agency and they say I have to pay if I want it removed from my credit report.

I requested they send out the paperwork, and this time they did send it out. To my surprise, the paperwork they sent out was not a copy of the invoice and work sheet I had. The Invoice they had was a completely different template and the Company address on the invoice they sent me was different. So they recreated a new invoice with the same invoice number but a different company address on the header. The work order was dated for a different day from the one I had and the handwriting was not the same either. They also added equipment that was not on the work order I had. They recreated a new work order with the wrong date and added extra information to it. I checked to see when the company had moved locations. They moved 9 months after they sent me out the original invoice. This, to me, is a case of fraud. The collections agency is using fraudulent documents from this company to try and collect money from me. I contacted the Financial Services Commission, spoke to someone there, but in the end, he said there was really nothing he could do. He said I could take legal action against the Collections Agency. I just got off the phone with the Collection Agency and have forwarded the same documents I gave to Financial Services Commission. I told the collections agency that I will pursue legal action, on the advice of my lawyer, if this is not resolved within one week. They told me they are working on it right now, so we will see.