Personal Finance

COLLECTIONS AND COLLECTION AGENTS: Ask me anything! (Official RFD Thread)

Aug 1, 2017
18 posts
You need to deal with the collections agency. Call the agency, with reference number if you have it, and document everything. Write down who you speak to, as well as their employee ID (which is most likely their licence number). If you make a full payment, make sure you get written confirmation from the agency BEFORE you make that payment. Make sure the written confirmation clearly states the terms of the payment. How much the payment is for to clear the debt, who the payment is to, and that full payment will remove the item from your credit report.
Oct 15, 2016
82 posts
17 upvotes
lemonsherbert wrote:
Aug 2nd, 2017 11:04 am
You need to deal with the collections agency. Call the agency, with reference number if you have it, and document everything. Write down who you speak to, as well as their employee ID (which is most likely their licence number). If you make a full payment, make sure you get written confirmation from the agency BEFORE you make that payment. Make sure the written confirmation clearly states the terms of the payment. How much the payment is for to clear the debt, who the payment is to, and that full payment will remove the item from your credit report.
I don't believe this applies in Canada.
Koodo & Public Mobile Customer.
Sep 6, 2016
235 posts
50 upvotes
lemonsherbert wrote:
Aug 2nd, 2017 11:04 am
It is not a good idea. They will not remove the collection fro the report.

They only care about money
Aug 6, 2017
1 posts
I need assistance on who to call for the following matter to have it removed from my credit report as an active collection.

In 2008, I fell behind and was sent to collections on a Canadian Tire Financial MasterCard. I also defaulted on 2 other sources of credit at that time due to financial issues related to 2008.

I attempted a consumer proposal to help acknowledge and responsibly deal with the debt, but by the middle of 2009, this proposal ended as my financial issues did not change. I was aware of the statute of limitations process of Ontario in regards to debt and your credit report.

By 2017, all debts and collections have expired based on these limitations laws and have dropped off my report.... except Canadian Tire Financial. They are currently trying to say it is new as of July 2017 and open for collection according to my credit report. Yet I have not contacted them, responded to them nor acknowledged anything to them in regards to debt. My report is currently saying ICE Collections is handling the account. They have not called me, mailed me letters or sought contact with me nor have I tried to contact them. Therefore this debt SHOULD have been dropped off of my report like the others have since the statute of limitations has well expired.

Who do I contact to ensure this matter is closed and removed from my file, or issue a cease and desist letter to.

NascarPerry
Aug 6, 2017
1 posts
Hi,

I've read through a bit of this thread but figured a new post might be the easiest way to get an answer. I had a small outstanding debt from a telecom company that was reported to collections in February 2017. I received a call from the collections agency and they gave me the relevant information (I didn't verify the debt but said I would deal with the original account holder).

I spoke with an agent for the telecom company and verified that I did indeed owe something around ~$50 dollars after late fees which they waived upon hearing my situation and I then paid the remainder directly to them. The agent for the company told me that there would be no negative impact to my credit as the collections agency would receive an update saying that the amount had already been paid and they closed the case.

On August 4th, I checked CreditKarma and noticed the attached.
Screenshot_1.png
I'm curious on what my next course of action is, I believe the telecom has everything on file related to the payment (they gave me a confirmation number and he verified the account was paid off and closed).
Aug 7, 2017
2 posts
Hi, has anyone dealt with ccl finance?
So my mother received a letter notice of authority to sue p. They asked for the payment in full by aug 4th. She is out of the country for some time now (dont know what happened and why she didnt pay)
I called them because I am willing to make the payment but they said it went on to a second stage? Does anyone kniw what that means? What would happen if I just go pay the credit card company now?

Does anyone have any advice ??
Aug 7, 2017
2 posts
What would happwn if I pay the collection agency a few days after The due date for last payment before notice to sue?

Would they cancel the judgement?

Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks
Aug 22, 2017
1 posts
I just got a call today from CBV saying I owe koodo 500 dollars but they will accept 214, I called koodo.. my account is closed and paid! I owe koodo nothing, koodo told me it was probably CBV's intrest not my actual koodo bill, should I pay CBV's intrest ??? Ty.
Aug 22, 2017
1 posts
Hi Everyone,

My first post here. Have a dilemma and am looking for advice. I've run into some real difficult times and have financial issues and now RBC has sent me to a collection agency. I work part time (and am trying to find a ft job) and money is very tight (I am a single parent). I owed almost $8,000 on my RBC mastercard and I stopped making payments. The minimums were too high and for a while I was struggling to keep afloat. I do have other credit cards (3) with much lower limits and minimum payments so I continued to pay those (although some payments were late). Last payment to RBC was a year ago, got sent to collections, received letters and I admit I ignored them. Today I received a letter that my account has been flagged as an investigation resulted in finding that I may be gainfully employed and able to pay off the balance.

Does this mean they are about to take me to court or is this another scare tactic? I cannot pay the now over $8,000 (with interest). Should I contact them to work out an agreement or wait? Any advice is appreciated! And yes, I know I need to clean up my financial act, but desperate times called for desperate measures.

Thank you!
Aug 28, 2017
1 posts
I'm in Ontario, Canada, and have a debt that went through several collection agencies, before currently settling on PRA Group. The debt is approximately 10 years old, and I've just not even been close to being in a position to pay it off. It currently, according to them, sits at about $7600, an amount that, again, I can't pay. However, I just got a letter from them stating that I could save 75% by paying by a certain date. While this new amount is also difficult to pay off, it's not impossible, and I may be able to manage this...maybe. My question is, if I can do this, is this discount legitimate, or will they later try to collect the balance, and I'm stuck with a reset of the statute of limitations? I've not had any actual contact with them for quite a few years, although, of course, they call repeatedly. Their letter asks me to contact them by the listed date, in order to take advantage of this offer. I'm just worried that this might just be verbally admitting to them that the debt is mine, thus resetting the statute of limitations, and opening myself up to legal action, and not getting the discount they were offering.
Any thoughts? I really would like to get this out of the way if I can, but this sounds too good to be true...
Jun 23, 2017
4 posts
Wiebob wrote:
Aug 29th, 2017 8:01 pm
I'm in Ontario, Canada, and have a debt that went through several collection agencies, before currently settling on PRA Group. The debt is approximately 10 years old, and I've just not even been close to being in a position to pay it off. It currently, according to them, sits at about $7600, an amount that, again, I can't pay. However, I just got a letter from them stating that I could save 75% by paying by a certain date. While this new amount is also difficult to pay off, it's not impossible, and I may be able to manage this...maybe. My question is, if I can do this, is this discount legitimate, or will they later try to collect the balance, and I'm stuck with a reset of the statute of limitations? I've not had any actual contact with them for quite a few years, although, of course, they call repeatedly. Their letter asks me to contact them by the listed date, in order to take advantage of this offer. I'm just worried that this might just be verbally admitting to them that the debt is mine, thus resetting the statute of limitations, and opening myself up to legal action, and not getting the discount they were offering.
Any thoughts? I really would like to get this out of the way if I can, but this sounds too good to be true...
I can tell you from personal experience, the letter you got in the mail for 75% off by a certain date is legitimate. As long as you pay it by the agreed upon date, your account will be satisified and closed with no further collection activity. You will also received a letter of release to say the account is closed.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2005
1952 posts
252 upvotes
Ottawa
Wiebob wrote:
Aug 29th, 2017 8:01 pm
You just acknowledging the debt could have reset the timer... The debt is 10 years old (while yes, it should have been paid) at this point, the record no longer exists on your credit report.
The Rogers whisperer
RFD 15 73H 1337
Oct 15, 2016
82 posts
17 upvotes
YorkIT wrote:
Aug 2nd, 2017 10:47 am
Hoping to get some guidance here.
Just checked my credit report and see that I have something from York University that was added by EOS Canada.
Upon verifying the details, it's a valid outstanding debt with York (I've moved 3-4 times since leaving York and I appear to have an outstanding balance).

I have full intention of paying the entire amount and can do so 1 shot, but I need to figure out what's the best way to do it.

I can log into my York account, and see the balance is still there, and I can go online an pay York U directly -- will this get the collections off my credit report?

Or do I need to deal with EOS and pay them.

What method will result in me getting my credit file back to normal? This just dropped my credit score below 700 (dropped it by almost 40 pts).
Update: I paid York U directly (via online banking).
Contacted EOS and they removed the item from the "collection accounts" on my Equifax credit file.
It took 3 weeks. I had to follow up with EOS a 2nd time after the first request wasn't completed by Equifax properly; Within a 4 days of the request by EOS, it was removed from my Equifax file.
Initially it was just updated to Paid, but still appeared under collectoin accounts. The 2nd follow up got it removed completely from the report.
My score went back up by 31 pts.
Koodo & Public Mobile Customer.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
2690 posts
575 upvotes
Toronto
My friend is still getting calls, harassing type for old debt, debt fallen off his credit bureaus.

How does he go about to telling them to stop and not contact him ever?
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4977 posts
2477 upvotes
Edmonton
rebel_rfd wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 6:12 pm
My friend is still getting calls, harassing type for old debt, debt fallen off his credit bureaus.

How does he go about to telling them to stop and not contact him ever?
There's a lot of information in here about contacting the collection agency and getting them to back off. Has "your friend" read through the thread yet? What has "your friend" already tried?

C