Personal Finance

COLLECTIONS AND COLLECTION AGENTS: Ask me anything! (Official RFD Thread)

Sep 11, 2017
9 posts
1 upvote
I've been getting calls from a collections agency in Saskatchewan for just over 2 years now- over a debt that I will not accept as I've paid it already.

My daughter went to a daycare for 3 years, and the last year they claimed I had not paid fees. Next thing I get a letter kicking me out if I don't give them almost $5,000.00 within 7 days. I told them I wasn't paying it twice, and I don't have proof I paid the "director" as I paid her cash and she acknowledged it and kept promising me receipts and I never received them. So now I have collections calling and my credit is slowly getting worse and worse because of this..... what can I do??
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
10167 posts
590 upvotes
My wife has been getting calls from CBV collections, she said the message said something about TD but she isn't certain.

She has no known delinquent accounts that we know of, with almost 100% certainty.

I Checked transunion and there are no delinquent accounts on her account there, however there are numerous checks by CBV listed under the "Account Review" section, almost 3-4 times per month CBV is checking this credit report.

Anyone have any idea if checking the account so often is normal? Its been doing that since sept 2016 which is when the info starts.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4977 posts
2477 upvotes
Edmonton
slowtyper wrote:
Sep 14th, 2017 12:12 pm
My wife has been getting calls from CBV collections, she said the message said something about TD but she isn't certain.

She has no known delinquent accounts that we know of, with almost 100% certainty.

I Checked transunion and there are no delinquent accounts on her account there, however there are numerous checks by CBV listed under the "Account Review" section, almost 3-4 times per month CBV is checking this credit report.

Anyone have any idea if checking the account so often is normal? Its been doing that since sept 2016 which is when the info starts.
Did you check Equifax? And how is she "uncertain" about the contents of the message?

There's information in this thread about requesting them to contact you only in writing, which should allow you to clarify their claim, as well as cutting down on the calls. I'd start with that.

C
Sep 13, 2017
1 posts
Hey I've got a question, long story short I lost my job have a new born needed rent so I put an empty envelope in my machine took out the cash and now CIBC sent it to Metropolitan Credit, can CIBC still charge me for fraud or can Metro?
Also if I start making small weekly payments will I be able to avoid being charged since I'm making efforts to pay?

Thanks
Jan 18, 2017
13 posts
Is Debt validation valid if you are in Canada (Ontario) or is this just valid for USA?

If this is valid for Canada, how is it used? Can it help?
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2016
1867 posts
683 upvotes
Brantin wrote:
Sep 14th, 2017 2:00 pm
Hey I've got a question, long story short I lost my job have a new born needed rent so I put an empty envelope in my machine took out the cash and now CIBC sent it to Metropolitan Credit, can CIBC still charge me for fraud or can Metro?
Also if I start making small weekly payments will I be able to avoid being charged since I'm making efforts to pay?

Thanks

What a stupid thing to do! ( I did it when I was 18 ). Yes, they can charge you with fraud, but they most likely won't. The protection you have as a tenant is pretty good. The landlord is forced to give you time. Don't use debit machine deposit fraud to cover this. Learn the tenancy act in your area and exploit it when you're short of cash. What about UI or welfare, do you qualify?
Sep 6, 2016
235 posts
50 upvotes
amait06 wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 3:39 pm
II don't have proof I paid the "director" as I paid her cash and she acknowledged it and kept promising me receipts and I never received them.

You did my day :twisted:
Sep 6, 2016
235 posts
50 upvotes
Brantin wrote:
Sep 14th, 2017 2:00 pm
an empty envelope in my machine took out the cash
OOOOO my GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2015
1168 posts
423 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Is $150 something to worry about? I don't care much about the amount (I can easily pay), but don't want to pay on principal (stupid, I know). Wondering if collections agencies care about such small amounts or not.
Oct 15, 2016
82 posts
17 upvotes
canoek wrote:
Sep 16th, 2017 4:17 pm
Is $150 something to worry about? I don't care much about the amount (I can easily pay), but don't want to pay on principal (stupid, I know). Wondering if collections agencies care about such small amounts or not.
It's like tickets & demerit points with insurance. Insurance companies don't really care about demerit points (unless it's something really crazy), a conviction is a conviction even if there's n demerit point attached to it.

A collection is a collection, regardless of the amount.
Koodo & Public Mobile Customer.
Sep 26, 2012
76 posts
31 upvotes
Edmonton
What about not paying fedex for about $13.00 duty? ($3 duty + $10 service fee). I told them the item shipped was a free replacement for a previous defective order which I DID pay the duty and service charge. They had no contract with me to handle the free replacement item. They said they were sending it to collections after about 3 letters. Never did get a call from collections.
May 7, 2017
318 posts
133 upvotes
My friend debt just fell off his credit report he went 580 to 631 and today 778. He only has a student loan on his account and virgin mobile. He wants to churn cards as he sees that I travel a lot . I want to refer him to a AMEX, will AMEX know he had collections in past? There is nothing on his report.
Sep 9, 2016
176 posts
62 upvotes
Toronto
If its not in the report, they won't know unless the delinquency was with Amex in which case they will never forget lol!

Also Amex uses Transition so make sure it had fallen off that too.

Amex is also very sensitive to number of inquiries and how much of available credit he is currently using (it needs to be less than 30%)

Also Amex is much more strict with their credit cards as opposed to their charge cards and as a result require higher credit score for their credit card products.
Sep 9, 2017
9 posts
2 upvotes
YorkIT wrote:
Sep 8th, 2017 1:11 am
Update: I paid York U directly (via online banking).
Contacted EOS and they removed the item from the "collection accounts" on my Equifax credit file.
It took 3 weeks. I had to follow up with EOS a 2nd time after the first request wasn't completed by Equifax properly; Within a 4 days of the request by EOS, it was removed from my Equifax file.
Initially it was just updated to Paid, but still appeared under collectoin accounts. The 2nd follow up got it removed completely from the report.
My score went back up by 31 pts.
You're lucky they removed it. They didn't have to. They just had to accurately update the STATUS (to paid with zero balance). Because the item was a legit debt/collection, it can stay on your report to document that credit history. Such negative items continue to report for about 6 to 7 years and "fall off".
Feb 3, 2014
11 posts
1 upvote
how far can collections agencies go for overdue balance in tuition fee in bc? is it normal for them to sue people in court for outstanding amount of around $10k?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)