• Last Updated:
  • Mar 12th, 2017 7:32 pm
[OP]
Feb 10, 2015
238 posts
1 upvote
Hamilton, ON

College Diploma in Java Programming

I would like to take online program that would offer Java programming Diploma but from accredited institution. All colleges are offering in class studies which is not really convenient since I am working full time.
Anyone has any advice?

Thanks
6 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2012
1443 posts
120 upvotes
Vancouver
Stribor40 wrote:
Mar 9th, 2017 1:59 pm
I would like to take online program that would offer Java programming Diploma but from accredited institution. All colleges are offering in class studies which is not really convenient since I am working full time.
Anyone has any advice?

Thanks
Why would you just want to get a diploma in just Java(did not know they even had this)? Ok maybe become certified in it but a diploma? Why not find a school that gets your a Comp Sci diploma as that will give you the foundational skills.

I had many programming jobs and usually the big thing is can you learn fast not the languages you know. I am currently in a job where I was hired to do C# development but currently I am doing salesforce stuff which I had no prior training to.

Also I would learn C# rather than Java but that is my own preference.
Mar 10, 2017
0 posts
Australia
I need some suggestion.I have done java se 6 and I have good knowledge about it.So,I want to know that should I give oracle certificate exam of se 7? or I have to prepare for EE and then try for it.
Get online Assignment help.
[OP]
Feb 10, 2015
238 posts
1 upvote
Hamilton, ON
Because to get diploma in computer programming you need to go to college full time. I have full time job and cant do that
Apr 20, 2011
100 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto
I believe I can help you here. I have good amount of Software Development experience. Previously working at BlackBerry and now working at Amazon.

There are a lot of free online tutorials. I would suggest doing a course from Coursera or Udacity. But doing Java by itself is of no use now a days. It wouldn't set you apart. If you want to do something then mix it up with some of latest technologies. Mix it up with Spring Boot/Hibernate etc if you want be a cloud software developer (not a term really). But if you want to move into that direction then i would suggest doing Ruby on Rails or Python (django or flask).

Otherwise, you can do Java with Android development. There is a course on Udacity which will give you a NanoDegree which can help you land your first job.

If you need any further help. Let me know.
Sep 29, 2008
603 posts
67 upvotes
Mississauga
If you can only study part time then why not javascript? Tons of JS jobs in the market right now. It is easier to pick up than Java but it does have its nuances such as promises, asynchronous code, prototypes and closures etc that most developers do not master. There are tons of awesome javascript frameworks out there now so I would recommend something like combining JS with react or angular. If web development is not your thing and you want to focus on java then as the poster above suggested, android development is a nice area.

The biggest way to set yourself apart and actually get jobs when you do not have a CS degree or some quality certification is to work on small projects and put them on your resume.