Students

College to law school

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 29th, 2017 4:14 am
[OP]
Oct 11, 2017
1 posts

College to law school

Is this possible? I completed a 2 year-diploma in college, and I can continue to an undergrad at Ryerson University. However, I only need to do 2 years to receive my degree. The problem is that I might want to get into law school. Will this affect my chances even if I scored above average? I understand that you need almost 3 years of accredited university studies to get into a law school. What are my options?
4 replies
Feb 16, 2013
521 posts
567 upvotes
Toronto
Khairat wrote:
Oct 17th, 2017 9:06 pm
Is this possible? I completed a 2 year-diploma in college, and I can continue to an undergrad at Ryerson University. However, I only need to do 2 years to receive my degree. The problem is that I might want to get into law school. Will this affect my chances even if I scored above average? I understand that you need almost 3 years of accredited university studies to get into a law school. What are my options?
Deal Guru
Oct 3, 2006
10279 posts
650 upvotes
Toronto
Do 1 extra year worth of university credits?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 16, 2006
5897 posts
343 upvotes
Khairat wrote:
Oct 17th, 2017 9:06 pm
Contact the law schools you are interested in going to and ask them. You'll get way better (and more accurate) responses from them than from anonymous posters on a deals site.

As an aside, most law school programs want to see at least 2 years of university education, with 3 years or more of university education being preferred. Almost everyone that applies to law school and gets accepted has an undergraduate degree, and many of them have more than one university degree. The fewer years of university you have, the better your marks will need to be to convince the law school(s) that you're ready for the challenge.
Jul 30, 2013
228 posts
105 upvotes
Toronto
No, you cannot. You will need to get your undergraduate degree with a high GPA and strong references, or complete 3 FULL years of an undergrad before applying with strong references AND have completed the LSAT before a specific time (every school is different, some require it done before December, some in February before September of the year you're applying).

Another reply on here is correct, almost all 1L's have at least an undergraduate degree, some have a master's or more.