Automotive

Collision center started repair without authorization - what are my options?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 14th, 2017 7:52 pm
Apr 9, 2006
17 posts
7 upvotes

Collision center started repair without authorization - what are my options?

I was involved in an accident last Saturday. I was not at fault so the insurance company will take care of the cost of all the repair. Following the advice by the insurance company, I brought my car to one of their preferred body shop for an assessment. I have gotten back the estimates from the body shop through my insurance company on Monday. The estimate clearly noted that the body shop must obtain my authorization before the repair will start.

After doing some research on the body shop on Tuesday, I have decided that I would feel more comfortable to have my dealership to carry out the repair instead. I should also note that I have not given any authorization to the insurance preferred body shop to start the work.

So, today (Wednesday) I notified my insurance of my decision; the insurance company agreed to tow my car to the dealership. A few hours later, my insurance called me and told me that their preferred body shop has already started the repair (note I have never given my authorization to the body shop). My insurance further tried to convince me to let them complete the repair. Now I felt like I am being pressured into continuing with the car repair. The fact that they would start the work just made me feel even more uncomfortable now.

Has anyone had similar experience? What was the outcome?
17 replies
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
I suspect that you have the right to take it to wherever you want. Stick to your guns and insist the repairs are done at the dealer. It is now an issue between the body shop and your insurance company.
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2012
5909 posts
2223 upvotes
Space
Unless you approved the repairs, the ball is in your court. I'd definitely tell them to cease all unauthorized repairs and transfer the vehicle to your shop of choosing. Or have them compensate you the book value of the vehicle aka write it off.
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2009
1175 posts
450 upvotes
Dartmouth
Solsearchin1 wrote: Unless you approved the repairs, the ball is in your court. I'd definitely tell them to cease all unauthorized repairs and transfer the vehicle to your shop of choosing. Or have them compensate you the book value of the vehicle aka write it off.
By all means have repairs stopped and the car moved. Please don't be so rediculous as to suggest that they write the veihicle off becuase the shop made the mistake of moving ahead with repairs. It just makes you look clueless.

This is the shops mistake. It could be malicious (they don't want to "lose the job) or it could be totally accidental..(there were two Red Civics in the shop and owner A said go ahead but they started repairs on Civic B by mistake.

Don't blow this up into something it's not unless someone tries to prevent you from doing what you are entitled to. Send them an email stating that you did not authorize that shop to repair. As for a copy of the signed authorization form where you said they could repair. If they don't have one then request that the vehicle be move to your shop and it be repaired (also that they extend your rental to cover the delay caused by all this mess). Of course they pushed back a bit to try to convince you to just get it done..it's faster and cheaper for them to go that route. But if they don't have a signed form then they won't push back much more they will do as you ask .
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2012
5909 posts
2223 upvotes
Space
Without knowing the specifics it's not ridiculous at all. If you don't ask, you have zero chance of getting anything. Shops don't just start work. Someone (most likely the adjuster) gave the go ahead without customer approval. I've never once started a job without approval from the insurance company.
Temp. Banned
Jun 18, 2008
5095 posts
4664 upvotes
Montreal
Solsearchin1 wrote: Without knowing the specifics it's not ridiculous at all. If you don't ask, you have zero chance of getting anything. Shops don't just start work. Someone (most likely the adjuster) gave the go ahead without customer approval. I've never once started a job without approval from the insurance company.
Of course it's ridiculous, you expect an insurance company to write off a car and send you a check because a body shop started a collision repair? Get real.
Last edited by ottofly on Jul 13th, 2017 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
19892 posts
4109 upvotes
9347934 downvotes
Just let them finish. Dealers don't deserve the money.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2012
5909 posts
2223 upvotes
Space
How do you know this wasnt a borderline write off? Exactly, you don't. Without specifics it's a valid request. Not only do they have to pay shop A they will also have to pay Shop B for any extra time required to figure out Shop A's work. That doesn't include any payment for removal and re installation costs which they will have to pay Shop A and then again Shop B. Insurance will always choose the cheapest option, if they're paying both shops it might make sense to write off the vehicle.

ottofly wrote: Of course it's ridiculous, you expect an insurance company to write off a car and send you a check because a body shop started a collision repair? Get real.
Feb 19, 2012
904 posts
600 upvotes
Woodbridge
i6s1 wrote: Just let them finish. Dealers don't deserve the money.
So let's get this straight; a body shop that starts repair work without your authorization deserves the money instead? The last place I'd want working on my car is a shop that starts work without consulting me first.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
19892 posts
4109 upvotes
9347934 downvotes
greybrick wrote: So let's get this straight; a body shop that starts repair work without your authorization deserves the money instead? The last place I'd want working on my car is a shop that starts work without consulting me first.
Generally people get their car repaired at the place that they take it to after the accident. It was more likely an assumption based on 99% of the work that goes through, rather then malice. Or the adjuster might have authorized repairs or implied that the customer did.

It's a little different then when someone brings in a car to get a scratch inspected for an estimate. Obviously OP is going to go through with the repairs, and isn't shopping for price because insurance is paying. It's probably pretty rare for a shop to get a car from the insurance company and then have them tow it elsewhere after the assessment is done.
Apr 9, 2006
17 posts
7 upvotes
Update:

I talked to the insurance company and the body shop who started the work without authorization. They apologized and have agreed to tow the car to wherever I wanted. I generally believed that they made an honest mistake.

On another hand, I also had a chance to get more details from the dealership about exactly how the repair will be handled if I were to bring the car to them. Contrary to what I thought before, the dealership would just outsource the repair to a third party body shop. That body shop had only a few reviews on Google and they were mostly negative. Furthermore, the insurance company told me that while repair cost will be covered, I will have to deal with the body shop myself if there are problems with the repair in the future.

So in the end, I stayed with the body shop recommended by the insurance company. For what is worth, the body shop said (in email) they will also fix up a new scratches not caused by this accident at no extra cost.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2012
5909 posts
2223 upvotes
Space
Glad you got it figured out. Not all dealerships have in house collision centers. The majority do outsource. Just a word of advice, make sure you check their work BEFORE accepting the vehicle.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2868 posts
2130 upvotes
Solsearchin1 wrote: Glad you got it figured out. Not all dealerships have in house collision centers. The majority do outsource. Just a word of advice, make sure you check their work BEFORE accepting the vehicle.
This also includes panel gapping and fitment
Smash that like button!
Dec 16, 2014
932 posts
519 upvotes
Easter Island
dealer use the same body shops. take it somewhere credible like 427 auto collision if insurance is paying
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2012
5909 posts
2223 upvotes
Space
To add, over spray, missing hardware ( screws, clips, etc), functionality of components worked on, test drive it before signing off as well.
jackrabbit000 wrote: ...and the paint matching as close as possible.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2005
2898 posts
234 upvotes
karakoram wrote: dealer use the same body shops. take it somewhere credible like 427 auto collision if insurance is paying
After the shitshow that 427Auto did with my vehicle repair I wouldnt recommend my worst enemies to them.
Car went in to replace a rear driver door, paint said rear door and paint scuff marks on front driver door.

Car came out with

-scratched and chipped hinges on rear replaced door
-chipped paint on new door they painted and installed
-inner door panels not popped on/clipped on all around
-a chipped rear bumper and dented quarter panel
-door panels were damaged on both front and back door and shop attempted to cover up with some leather dye/touchup
-door moisture barriers were installed with 4 pieces of painters tape
-door molding on the front door would rub the back door molding
-missing screws and clips on the door panels
-missing clips on the door weatherstripping
-door glass not able to roll up and would bind halfway through.
:arrow: :arrowu: :arrowd: :arrow: :arrowu: :arrowd: :arrow: :arrowu: :arrowd: :cheesygri :eek:
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
Solsearchin1 wrote: Glad you got it figured out. Not all dealerships have in house collision centers. The majority do outsource. Just a word of advice, make sure you check their work BEFORE accepting the vehicle.
What many dealerships have done is taken their "in house" body shop and sliced it out of their dealership and made them a separate business unit. Fix Auto, a "chain or franchise" has convinced many dealers that joining that group is financially beneficial to them by becoming 2 business units fir the principal owners,. Many dealers have done so. I know of several dealers that have Fix Auto body shops that used to be their own. They even share the same building.
So, when some dealers say they are using 3rd party or outsourcing, they actually send it to their former body shop.
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2009
5427 posts
5283 upvotes
GTA
I know some similar "horror story" with "preferred" body shop. Not only they started work the same day the car was towed to their shop, but the car had more damage than original accident caused. Almost looked, like someone took the hammer and smashed up the whole hood and front fenders, so they could scam more money from the insurance company. Take your car and ask your insurance not to pay for unauthorized work. I'm pretty sure they will make a good chunk of monet in "storage fees" anyway....