Automotive

collision repair dealer or independent body shop

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 5th, 2018 6:58 am
Aug 18, 2017
300 posts
507 upvotes

collision repair dealer or independent body shop

I was in a not at fault accident and the vehicle ( 2017 Honda CRV) is at the dealer now. Although the exterior of the vehicle didn't look too bad, i was told that the hood bumper fender radiator condenser all needs to be replaced and they quote 11k for the replair. Problem is that the dealer is sending the vehicle to a small body shop( around the street corner) for repair and dealer is not on the insurance company's preferred body shop list. They haven't started on the repair and i'm thinking about sending the vehicle to a reputable independent body shop like 427 auto collision for repair( on the preferred body shop list) and it's Honda certified Profirst auto collision repair shop listed on Honda's website. There's a sensor for safety features of the vehicle (front collision mitigation etc.) which fall off after the accident. So i guess they need to put it back on and calibrate it. I'm not sure if independent body shop have the equipment and is capable of doing that. I'n debating on choosing between dealer and 427 auto collision. Can anyone share their experience? Help is appreciated. Thanks!
Last edited by Polymertank on Sep 4th, 2018 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
11 replies
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12400 posts
4936 upvotes
Toronto
11k damage? or you mean $1100

You are not no fault, bring your car to the dealer and insurance's authorized shop, why do you want to go to a small garage to fix your 1 year old car.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Aug 18, 2017
300 posts
507 upvotes
The dealer quoted 11k and the dealer is sending the vehicle to a small body shop because they dont have a body shop on site
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2014
1041 posts
862 upvotes
Toronto, ON
You don't need to have the vehicle repaired at a shop listed by the insurance company. The repair just needs to be done professionally back to the way it was before the accident. I would tend to trust where Honda is sending it, however, you should call your insurance company first to inquire about this before proceeding.

Also @ MP3 Sky, how do you figure that all that work would be a measly $1,100 LOL. The cost to replace and paint a bumper alone would be over $1,100.
Please respond
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2013
1862 posts
882 upvotes
Markham
When I got rear ended a few years ago, I took my car to Sisley Honda but I don't remember the body shop name. My repairs was around ~$11k as well and they only did an OK job, reason was the orange peel was really obvious. Anyway, that body shop wasn't on my insurance listed ones too but research says to take it back to Sisley and that's what I did.
RTX 4090 FE & 5800X3D
Aug 18, 2017
300 posts
507 upvotes
myinglin0318 wrote: When I got rear ended a few years ago, I took my car to Sisley Honda but I don't remember the body shop name. My repairs was around ~$11k as well and they only did an OK job, reason was the orange peel was really obvious. Anyway, that body shop wasn't on my insurance listed ones too but research says to take it back to Sisley and that's what I did.
Thank you very much for sharing your experience sir. I'm leaning towards sending it to a Honda certified independent body shop.
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2012
1132 posts
824 upvotes
Toronto
Polymertank wrote: Thank you very much for sharing your experience sir. I'm leaning towards sending it to a Honda certified independent body shop.
Make sure Honda acknowledges the shop to ensure it won’t affect your warranty.
Aug 18, 2017
300 posts
507 upvotes
Inclemental wrote: Make sure Honda acknowledges the shop to ensure it won’t affect your warranty.
Yes I'll let them put it on paper. Thanks!
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2011
1212 posts
269 upvotes
OTTAWA
When my Camry was rear-ended, I insisted the repair be done by a Toyota dealer of my choice. Its my car.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4695 posts
4968 upvotes
GTA
Do you own the car? Or is it leased, or financed?

In any case, I'd be fine with the dealer sending it to the shop of their choice. Insurance is paying for everything, so the dealer has no reason to use a sub-standard shop to reduce costs.

And if the car's leased and has to be returned, the dealer can't say anything about the quality of the repair, because the body shop was their choice.
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2009
1175 posts
450 upvotes
Dartmouth
Is the small shop around the corner preferred by the dealer Honda Certified?

This is the interesting question.

Honda Canada clams that that is the key factor in repairing your car correctly. A shop that is Honda Certified should theoretically be better at reapairing your Honda than one that isn’t regardless if the dealer recommends them or not.

As for the calibration I would not worry about it. Even a Certified Honda body shop may need to send it back to a dealer for calibration. The calibration equipment is very specialized and expensive so most body shops won’t purchase it.

Ask the dealer if their shop is Honda Profirst Certified. If not the answer is simple. Send it to the shop that is and that is Insurance preferred which will force the insurance company to deal with any issues you have with the repair down the road.
Since the dealer doesn’t have their own shop if their ends up being an issue with the body repair you will end up having to back and forth with a small independent shop on your own. The dealer doesn’t have to do anything. What if the dealer switches body shops or that shop goes out of business. Then what?

You can choose what shop you go to but be aware while you have the right to choose the shop you do not have the right to have the insurance company pay “whatever th shop wants”. Your policy only entitles you to be paid enough to properly repair the car. So if the (Certified) Insurance preferred shop can do the 10k and the shop you choose wants 12k the policy only entitles you to 10k. You can choose to use your shop and play the 2K difference but the policy does NOT require the insurer to pay 12 k.
Aug 18, 2017
300 posts
507 upvotes
Toolatecrew wrote: Is the small shop around the corner preferred by the dealer Honda Certified?

This is the interesting question.

Honda Canada clams that that is the key factor in repairing your car correctly. A shop that is Honda Certified should theoretically be better at reapairing your Honda than one that isn’t regardless if the dealer recommends them or not.

As for the calibration I would not worry about it. Even a Certified Honda body shop may need to send it back to a dealer for calibration. The calibration equipment is very specialized and expensive so most body shops won’t purchase it.

Ask the dealer if their shop is Honda Profirst Certified. If not the answer is simple. Send it to the shop that is and that is Insurance preferred which will force the insurance company to deal with any issues you have with the repair down the road.
Since the dealer doesn’t have their own shop if their ends up being an issue with the body repair you will end up having to back and forth with a small independent shop on your own. The dealer doesn’t have to do anything. What if the dealer switches body shops or that shop goes out of business. Then what?

You can choose what shop you go to but be aware while you have the right to choose the shop you do not have the right to have the insurance company pay “whatever th shop wants”. Your policy only entitles you to be paid enough to properly repair the car. So if the (Certified) Insurance preferred shop can do the 10k and the shop you choose wants 12k the policy only entitles you to 10k. You can choose to use your shop and play the 2K difference but the policy does NOT require the insurer to pay 12 k.
No the small shop that dealer is sending the vehicle to is not Honda certified. I decided to send the vehicle to a Profirst Honda certified body shop that is preferred by insurance company. Thanks for your suggestion!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)