64 upvotes

Colour Match for Furniture

Hey Guys,
Images
  • DSC_0034.JPG
  • DSC_0036.JPG
  • DSC_0064.JPG
  • DSC_0023.JPG
Last edited by DoubleJ5 on Nov 17th, 2018 1:13 am, edited 6 times in total.
15 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
12594 posts
1959 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Go for the grey.
De gustibus non est disputandum
[OP]
Jan 24, 2015
155 posts
64 upvotes
Becks wrote:
Apr 4th, 2018 3:28 am
Go for the grey.
Thanks for the quick reply. I also wanted to mention that either chair will be in Microfiber material while the sofa and love seat will be in leather. Do you think that will look bad if the chair is in fabric while the sofa and love seat is in leather?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
6818 posts
3980 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
I will go against the grain so far and say I prefer the beige microfibre. I don't like the look of the grey fabric. The beige will go better with the couch IMO.
[OP]
Jan 24, 2015
155 posts
64 upvotes
Chickinvic wrote:
Apr 4th, 2018 11:51 am
I will go against the grain so far and say I prefer the beige microfibre. I don't like the look of the grey fabric. The beige will go better with the couch IMO.
Thanks. Don't you think there should be some contrast between the chair and the rest of the set? I heard its good to mix and match.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
6818 posts
3980 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
DoubleJ5 wrote:
Apr 4th, 2018 5:08 pm
Thanks. Don't you think there should be some contrast between the chair and the rest of the set? I heard its good to mix and match.
I don't like the contrast of that gray. No, I don't think it is necessary for them to contrast. It really depends on how you put things together. I have all same colour chairs and couch in our family room and it looks good. In our more "formal" living room we have a contrast (but with complimentary colours). We have a darkish gray-brown sectional and a patterned chair in off-white with a light blue and yellow pattern. They look good together (and are sitting far enough apart that they are kind of "separate" seating areas).
[OP]
Jan 24, 2015
155 posts
64 upvotes
Ok guys, so I have found a new chair in Tobacco color. Now I am deciding between only the Tobacco and the Gray colour chairs. I attached the colour pallet of the sofa and love seat.
Images
  • DSC_0035.JPG
  • DSC_0037.JPG
  • DSC_0064.JPG
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
9586 posts
1268 upvotes
I prefer tobacco in terms of colour and material. I hate microfiber regardless.

Some contrast is nice, don't want a sea of beige all around. Hopefully you will also throw in some other lively colours so everything does not look brown-ish.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
6818 posts
3980 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
The tobacco colour is much better than the gray. I really didn't like the combination of that gray and the beige couch.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
2019 posts
1012 upvotes
DoubleJ5 wrote:
Apr 4th, 2018 2:58 am

My question to you guys is that do you think they they will compliment each other or do you think they dont go well together? Do you think I should just get the taupe chair so it kind of matches the swatch? Or do you think it is better to have a little contrast to beige?

Key things to consider.

- My carpets are mushroom colour
- The Paint in the room is focused on the beige theme.
- I have already ordered the beige colour swatch sofa and love seat so definitely no changing that colour.
- I have the option to choose either the gray chair or the taupe colour chair. No other colour options are available.

Thanks for your feedback!
No they don't complement one another because everything in your room (carpeets, furniture, wall colour) are neutral colours (so how can the complement one another?) . Most people go this route - there's nothing wrong with that but to me that's really boring, ordinary and unimaginative. If you want to go with the approach, honestly doesn't matter which one you choose as it won't make much of a difference. I would get accent colour for the armchair for a pop of colour.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
12594 posts
1959 upvotes
City of Vancouver
^ Colour can come from things like pillows, throw blankets, artwork, rugs, vases, flowers, etc.
De gustibus non est disputandum
[OP]
Jan 24, 2015
155 posts
64 upvotes
hierophant wrote:
Apr 5th, 2018 7:27 pm
No they don't complement one another because everything in your room (carpeets, furniture, wall colour) are neutral colours (so how can the complement one another?) . Most people go this route - there's nothing wrong with that but to me that's really boring, ordinary and unimaginative. If you want to go with the approach, honestly doesn't matter which one you choose as it won't make much of a difference. I would get accent colour for the armchair for a pop of colour.
I was thinking about offsetting the neutral theme in the furniture with a more bold use of accent colours in the area rug and throw pillows.
[OP]
Jan 24, 2015
155 posts
64 upvotes
I've eliminated the beige colour chair and have now narrowed it down to the grey or tobacco coloured chair
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
9586 posts
1268 upvotes
Reseeing your first picture with your wall/carpet colour, 100% tobacco chair. Seriously it looks like your sofa/loveseat will disappear in room and blend right into the wall. And the grey won't help much either.