• Last Updated:
  • Dec 9th, 2017 8:49 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 15, 2016
1606 posts
213 upvotes

Combination keypad lock for the front door

Does anyone know where I can find a combination keyboard lock that scrambles its digits every time?
11 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
2980 posts
822 upvotes
Paris
I'm not sure what you are asking? A lock for your front door that changes the location of where "1234567890" is every time?
Gbill2004: Thanks but I'll just smell the couch before/if I buy it.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
1275 posts
435 upvotes
Alliston, ON
Ya I think that's what they are after. It scrambles the numbers so your pushing a different spot on the keypad every time. So onlookers can't try and steal your code as easily.
I don't know if any residential door locks that have that. They make wall mounted keypads that do that, like the Schlage SERiii-W Scramble Keypad... It's well north of $1k though

There is a company that let's you push any random number first before your pin as a way of providing extra security. I forget who's lock it is though, maybe Yale
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4977 posts
2477 upvotes
Edmonton
I’m also puzzled. What are you trying to accomplish?

C
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
2980 posts
822 upvotes
Paris
CNeufeld wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 4:33 pm
I’m also puzzled. What are you trying to accomplish?
Too many spy movies. I challenge you to see me input my front door code with my body in the way and recessed front door. My code uses all the numbers. My garage door on the other hand you can see from kms around as I mounted the pad way too high.
Gbill2004: Thanks but I'll just smell the couch before/if I buy it.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 15, 2016
1606 posts
213 upvotes
Jerico wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 3:57 pm
I'm not sure what you are asking? A lock for your front door that changes the location of where "1234567890" is every time?
Correct. All the locks in asia have that funciton. I haven't seen it around here.
Oct 14, 2015
219 posts
73 upvotes
Markham, ON
vivibaby wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 6:49 pm
Correct. All the locks in asia have that funciton. I haven't seen it around here.
Why? If you're scared of finger prints/peeking, Samsung licks makes you press random digits before entering your code each time
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
16380 posts
4996 upvotes
Ottawa
How about not using the keypad and just unlock using your mobile device?
I have a smart lock and haven't unlocked using a pin since installation.
Jul 18, 2007
116 posts
13 upvotes
London
My schlage sense has a matted keypad. Although the numbers are not randomized, it doesn't leave any fingerprints to the naked eye. I suppose you can hold a nightlight to it.

Since it's wifi connected, I can also use my phone to open. Takes about 2 seconds longer to take out my phone, open the app, and hit unlock, than to punch in a 4 digit code.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 15, 2016
1606 posts
213 upvotes
Xfiles wrote:
Dec 8th, 2017 7:40 am
Why? If you're scared of finger prints/peeking, Samsung licks makes you press random digits before entering your code each time
Samsung licks?
vkizzle wrote:
Dec 8th, 2017 8:44 am
How about not using the keypad and just unlock using your mobile device?
I have a smart lock and haven't unlocked using a pin since installation.
How reliable is it considering it's not hardwired?

In colder climates, do you find issues with the lock not mating with the door? I find with my key I need to pull on the door or else it would get "stuck". Would it wear out the mechanism or lock?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
16380 posts
4996 upvotes
Ottawa
vivibaby wrote:
Dec 9th, 2017 12:11 am
Samsung licks?

In colder climates, do you find issues with the lock not mating with the door? I find with my key I need to pull on the door or else it would get "stuck". Would it wear out the mechanism or lock?
I've only been using mine for a few months now and will truly know how well it can withstand our cold temperatures this winter.
If you're already having alignment issues with your traditional lock, you should get it adjusted, otherwise you will drain the battery on a motorized smart lock.

My door is aligned very well and I haven't received any door jam notifications, which will occur if the lock senses resistance.
Oct 14, 2015
219 posts
73 upvotes
Markham, ON
vivibaby wrote:
Dec 9th, 2017 12:11 am
Samsung licks?

Samsung locks I mean. Autocorrect sucks