Off Topic Archive

Locked: Combination lock - forgot the combo.

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 22nd, 2008 10:41 am
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
6056 posts
159 upvotes
Markham
My Dundley has 59 numbers!! :cry:
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2005
2561 posts
25 upvotes
Dudleys are appreantly a lot harder to crack than master!

GO canadian engineering :)
Deal Expert
Nov 19, 2005
15590 posts
508 upvotes
RedFlagDeals!
looks like Alvito is SOoL.
PC IS MASTER RACE!
( ͡°( ͡° ͜ʖ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)ʖ ͡°) ͡°)
VAPE NATION \//\
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2005
7385 posts
69 upvotes
Has anyone managed to crack a Dudley lock?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2005
7260 posts
89 upvotes
Toronto
http://www.instructables.com/id/Open-Any-Padlock/

i believe this should work.....my friend made something similar last year in high school and was opening dudley locks with ease
_{o,o}...{o.-}--{0,0}
_|)__)_--|)_(|-_-(__(|
--"-"-___-"-"-__--"-"-
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2005
7260 posts
89 upvotes
Toronto
stolen off the comment on a digg page:

If you are manually trying combinations, to try combinations with a certain last number:
Pick a starting number, do you full counterclockwise rotation, go past by 2/3 to a second number, turn clockwise to the last number. Pull on the shackle. If it doesn't open, rotate counter clockwise past the original second number by 2/3, then turn clockwise to the last number.

Example, if I know the last number on my master lock is 27, and the first number is 3, 7, 11, etc. and the second number is 1, 5, 9, 13 etc, this works to quickly try the combos.
Rotate two clockwise to make sure the cams are turning, go to 3. Do one full CCW rotation then move past 3 to the 5. Turn CW to 27. Pull. If it doesn't open, immediately turn CCW past the 5 to the 9, turn CW to 27, pull.
Repeat this for all second numbers.
Then start with 7 instead of 3 as the first number.
This works due to how a lock's teeth work, and it saves you a lot of time.

For a Dudley lock, assume all numbers in the combination are a multiple of 3 (this is fair because of the size of the grooves). This cuts it down to 20 digits or 8000 combinations. If you use the above method, it cuts down the number of trials to about 400, and any Dudley I've ever had, the middle number is the lowest of the three.
Good luck.
_{o,o}...{o.-}--{0,0}
_|)__)_--|)_(|-_-(__(|
--"-"-___-"-"-__--"-"-
[OP]
Banned
Feb 18, 2005
10775 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
CanadaBoy wrote:
Feb 9th, 2008 1:16 pm

i believe this should work.....my friend made something similar last year in high school and was opening dudley locks with ease
it doesnt teach you how to make the piece of metal out of the can though.
Don't be a newb, come play RFD Ball Hockey!
http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/show ... 6&page=175
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2005
7260 posts
89 upvotes
Toronto
Alvito wrote:
Feb 9th, 2008 1:40 pm
it doesnt teach you how to make the piece of metal out of the can though.
Yes it does :cheesygri
_{o,o}...{o.-}--{0,0}
_|)__)_--|)_(|-_-(__(|
--"-"-___-"-"-__--"-"-
Banned
Feb 2, 2008
339 posts
Out and about...
A Dudley goes from 0 to 59, which means there are 60 possible numbers for each code. Which has me thinking is the total number of locks available...just (60!)^3?

(60 !)^3 = 5.76135383
Deal Fanatic
Aug 22, 2005
7382 posts
684 upvotes
quarterlifecrisis wrote:
Feb 9th, 2008 4:17 pm
A Dudley goes from 0 to 59, which means there are 60 possible numbers for each code. Which has me thinking is the total number of locks available...just (60!)^3?

(60 !)^3 = 5.76135383
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2006
1136 posts
10 upvotes
C
I had a master lock that would open if pulled hard enough (without any combinations) :lol: . Dudley on the other hand worked well.
Sep 10, 2007
121 posts
CanadaBoy wrote:
Feb 9th, 2008 1:16 pm

haha, cool. but even if he does get it out...he still doesn't know his combo. lol
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2007
3329 posts
383 upvotes
Valleywood
On older Dudley locks, if you drilled a 1/4" hole on top of the "dl" in Dudley on the back of the lock you could see the 3 tumbler notches. Line them up to allow the the shackle gizmo to hinge into the notches and voila!

I have no idea where the "Dudley" stamp is on the back of recent locks or if the internals of the lock are still laid out the same. If I remember correctly the hole ended up being about 1/4 or 1/3 the distance of the lock's diameter from the top.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2004
3680 posts
266 upvotes
If whatever the lock is attached to is stronger than the lock, put a pipe wrench on it and break it.

If not, just use a pair of bolt cutters.
Everything in moderation... including moderation :twisted:
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
18500 posts
930 upvotes
Alvito wrote:
Feb 8th, 2008 10:55 pm
ya i dont think that works lol
Actually it does....

When I was in HS I used to be able to open other kid's "Master Lock" combination locks by touch alone.

It's pretty simple if you have a good touch and patience - you can feel the tumblers falling into place. Unless you have a $100 combo they're pretty easy to crack.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
× < >