• Last Updated:
  • Jul 16th, 2012 2:01 pm
Tags:
None
Aug 1, 2007
124 posts
14 upvotes

Comfree real estate sale experiences

Hi, has anyone used Comfree to sell? What was your experience? And what advise do you give (besides don't do it since I've read enough of that in other threads)? I am thinking of selling a property in cottage country.
Thanks
wife: YOU'RE SO CHEAP!------me: I'm not cheap, I just want a deal! :D
9 replies
Deal Fanatic
May 29, 2006
7117 posts
655 upvotes
We tried it, it didnt work for us, we ended up down 500-600$ from it. Most calls we got were from shady realtors who tell you they have a client, but are just trying to get you to sell the house with them.
The biggest negative is that if you dont sell, your money is gone, with a realtor, theres no cost until you sell.

Comfree was very good at meeting thier commitments, And the photo shoot was very professional. I think in the end the biggest problem was the traffic just wasnt there compared to MLS. When we listed with a realtor, we had like 6 showings the first few days, on comfree, it was maybe 1 every 2 weeks. Sold in a month with a realtor.
Deal Fanatic
May 29, 2006
7117 posts
655 upvotes
And the other big issue, with comfree, you have to show the house, we had moved already and were carrying 2 properties, 40KM apart. Everytime i had a showing i had to drive 40km and hope the person showed up. With the realtor, i never visited the house again once i listed it.
[OP]
Aug 1, 2007
124 posts
14 upvotes
@rocking23nf good points. I am not in an hurry but the distance could be a hassle. Did you also have the MLS link back the Comfree ad? Do you think it would be worthwhile offering 2.5% commission to buyer's agent?
Deal Fanatic
May 12, 2004
8220 posts
2353 upvotes
Ottawa
rocking23nf wrote:
Jul 12th, 2012 10:19 am
We tried it, it didnt work for us, we ended up down 500-600$ from it. Most calls we got were from shady realtors who tell you they have a client, but are just trying to get you to sell the house with them.
The biggest negative is that if you dont sell, your money is gone, with a realtor, theres no cost until you sell.

Comfree was very good at meeting thier commitments, And the photo shoot was very professional. I think in the end the biggest problem was the traffic just wasnt there compared to MLS. When we listed with a realtor, we had like 6 showings the first few days, on comfree, it was maybe 1 every 2 weeks. Sold in a month with a realtor.
Haha oldest RE agent trick in the book. Invite everyone you know to go see the house and show the owner how hard you're working to sell it. LOL

Time for the RFD agents to come and tell me I'm wrong. :razz:
Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.
- Mark Twain
Deal Fanatic
Jul 14, 2008
6382 posts
626 upvotes
Ontario
If people know you are selling comm. free, don't they expect a lower price as a result? Would there even be a realized saving if you can command a higher price using an RE agent, the difference being what the comm. would be if you sell that route? (essentially buyer paying for the commission?)

The one exception I can see if you have an attractive home in a hot area. For instance, semis and towns in my area don't last 1 week, many gone within 2 days.
[OP]
Aug 1, 2007
124 posts
14 upvotes
@onlineharvest you are probably right. I am not opposed to splitting the commission savings with the buyer. I believe that a listing REA would pressure me to reduce price to get a quick sale. This reduction may be painful for me but only reduce the commission slightly. Since I am not in a rush then sticking to my price seems attractive to me. I have sold with REA in the past in warm, lukewarm and cold markets and always been pressured to reduce by $10k or more per listing. I am not really worried about my prospects in a hot market. When I have given up then I can enlist with an REA. I would be out the Commfree price but have some new experiences! Atleast, that is what I am thinking today :)
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2011
1024 posts
125 upvotes
Just remember although you will be able to sell the house on your own, you will have some extra crap to deal with and agents that may not want to show your place because of the private sale aspect. Pros and cons to both methods. The fact that you want to sell in cottage country could be an issue as it may be a lot less demand than Toronto would be and it may be more cost effective to use an agent.
Alex
Deal Fanatic
Jul 14, 2008
6382 posts
626 upvotes
Ontario
UrGr8 wrote:
Jul 12th, 2012 4:54 pm
@onlineharvest you are probably right. I am not opposed to splitting the commission savings with the buyer. I believe that a listing REA would pressure me to reduce price to get a quick sale. This reduction may be painful for me but only reduce the commission slightly. Since I am not in a rush then sticking to my price seems attractive to me. I have sold with REA in the past in warm, lukewarm and cold markets and always been pressured to reduce by $10k or more per listing. I am not really worried about my prospects in a hot market. When I have given up then I can enlist with an REA. I would be out the Commfree price but have some new experiences! Atleast, that is what I am thinking today :)
There is a reason why they'd pressure you to reduce by $10K. The Agent's cut is only marginally reduced, because they only get a portion. Whereas your price goes down by 10K!

I remember reading Freakonomics, and the data showed that RE agents across the board sold THEIR OWN homes $10K higher than what their customers homes were sold for. Its only rational and financial sense why they would be motivated to do that.

That said, I think I would still use an RE agent...but negotiate a fair commission.
Mar 26, 2009
625 posts
92 upvotes
Hamilton
We used Comfree WITH MLS, which cost a few extra, but most of our traffic was from MLS.

We are in a very hot area, and lived in a 5 year old townhome from a desired builder and had lots of upgrades. Our property showed very well. We listed on Comfree and sold our property in 2.5 weeks. We had lots of showings and would use Comfree again if we were in a high demand area. We did opt to pay extra for an MLS listing, and we paid the buyer's agent 2.5% commission and posted that we do pay commission in our ad. Many buyers use agents, so an MLS listing is a must. We sold close to asking, and other properties in our area that have sold Comfree (and there are a LOT) all sold for close to asking. We found Comfree persons to be professionals and they took excellent photos of our home.

I noticed on the Comfree discussion forums (which you get as part of your Comfree package) that persons using Comfree in low demand (slow to sell) areas or rural communities didn't have the best of luck.

So would I recommend Comfree? You bet, for the right house.
× < >