Site Comments & Suggestions

Locked: Commentary and Questions Regarding Inconsistent Application of Forum Rules

  • Last Updated:
  • Jun 17th, 2012 5:55 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 1, 2004
2778 posts
115 upvotes
Sudbury
poedua wrote:
Jun 15th, 2012 9:53 pm
I'd tend to agree.

Frankly, we're only talking about the removal of a signature here...pretty trivial stuff in the overall scheme of things IMO ..and hardly anything of consequence to warrant the 1,000+ words of incessant vitriolic hyperbole from the OP..

OK...so your signature got locked...you're ticked. Perfectly understandable...anyone who gets their signature deleted gets ticked.

That said, I'd just ' suck it up ' and move on. And if you want to ' swap punches ' with oranr, probably best to do it via PM, rather than haranguing & disparaging oranr in a public forum.
trolling
"What an emotionally wrecking of the stomach game"
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jul 29, 2005
7583 posts
1692 upvotes
Mississauga
Kenny Blankenship wrote:
Jun 15th, 2012 10:00 pm
trolling
+1
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 24, 2005
9454 posts
991 upvotes
N/A
poedua wrote:
Jun 15th, 2012 9:53 pm
I'd tend to agree.

Frankly, we're only talking about the removal of a signature here...pretty trivial stuff in the overall scheme of things IMO ..and hardly anything of consequence to warrant the 1,000+ words of incessant vitriolic hyperbole from the OP..

OK...so your signature got locked...you're ticked. Perfectly understandable...anyone who gets their signature deleted gets ticked.

That said, I'd just ' suck it up ' and move on. And if you want to ' swap punches ' with oranr, probably best to do it via PM, rather than haranguing & disparaging oranr in a public forum.
but he doesn't check everyone's PMs.
that's not a good method of communicating with him.
“Children see magic because they look for it.”
Deal Guru
User avatar
Dec 7, 2009
13788 posts
1302 upvotes
poedua wrote:
Jun 15th, 2012 9:53 pm
I'd tend to agree.

Frankly, we're only talking about the removal of a signature here...pretty trivial stuff in the overall scheme of things IMO ..and hardly anything of consequence to warrant the 1,000+ words of incessant vitriolic hyperbole from the OP..

OK...so your signature got locked...you're ticked. Perfectly understandable...anyone who gets their signature deleted gets ticked.

That said, I'd just ' suck it up ' and move on. And if you want to ' swap punches ' with oranr, probably best to do it via PM, rather than haranguing & disparaging oranr in a public forum.
Do you seriously feel the need to defend every staff decision to a fault and downplay everyone's complaints? I mean, I don't think I've ever seen you not post something to this tune in every thread where people have a dispute.

Stop trying to play secretary and run coverage for oranr. He's a big boy, he can handle these grievances on a case-by-case basis.
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Oct 14, 2003
14223 posts
1077 upvotes
Hello All, I would ask you to just ignore poedua. She obviously know's she is going to get a rise out of some members and this will cause the thread to be locked because it has been derailed. Do not give her the satisfaction. If you must acknowledge her just post an eye roll from now on. That way these threads may stay open longer, and a proper discussion maybe had with those actually in charge.

:rolleyes:
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jul 26, 2006
7566 posts
389 upvotes
Scarborough
Barayolayosa wrote:
Jun 15th, 2012 9:20 am
My personal take is this: RFD is not a democracy. It's a for-profit website, and it has owners that dictate what happens on the forums.

If the mods don't like your signature, they can make you delete it. If they want you to leave, they will show you the door.

It really is that simple - your only real recourse is to take your business elsewhere.
While RFD is NOT a democracy, they do have to listen to their members, or risk losing members, and federal and provincial laws, or risk fines.
I'll post a PERSONAL case:
July 11, 2011, I received a PM from ornar, requesting my avatar be removed immediately, as he had been made aware, that my avatar "was in violation of site rules as "political or otherwise controversial content".
Around 4 hours later, I replied below, and haven't heard from him since. THUS, I think ornar DOES understand business a bit better than he lets on:
(My response to his demand for me to remove my avatar)
I've had my avatar for 3 years or more... I'm surprised it wasn't found 'controversial' before hand. THAT being said, The Human Rights Tribunal of Ontario stipulates that businesses can't discriminate against a persons creed - or religion - on behalf of other clients.

Again, I've had it as my avatar for most of 3 years.
[external advertising link removed)
Deal Expert
User avatar
Mar 22, 2007
24834 posts
2872 upvotes
Hamilton
Hello Allan

I find your AV quite offensive. That is all

Take care
$35/5GB Koodo
$120/3Months PM
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jul 26, 2006
7566 posts
389 upvotes
Scarborough
yao416 wrote:
Jun 16th, 2012 1:15 am
Hello Allan

I find your AV quite offensive. That is all

Take care
Great, I'm glad. Now, May the Great I Am Bless you, in all that you do.
[external advertising link removed)
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 20, 2010
2219 posts
499 upvotes
Didn't even read the first post (looked long and drawn out), but

_Allan_ wrote:
Jun 16th, 2012 1:12 am
While RFD is NOT a democracy, they do have to listen to their members, or risk losing members, and federal and provincial laws, or risk fines.
I'll post a PERSONAL case:
July 11, 2011, I received a PM from ornar, requesting my avatar be removed immediately, as he had been made aware, that my avatar "was in violation of site rules as "political or otherwise controversial content".
Around 4 hours later, I replied below, and haven't heard from him since. THUS, I think ornar DOES understand business a bit better than he lets on:
(My response to his demand for me to remove my avatar)
They could delete your avatar right now if they felt like it. Hell they could ban you for no reason whatsoever, delete your account and erase any history of you even being on this site and there isn't a damn thing you could do about it. Not that I agree with every staff move made on here (due to lack of caring mostly) but just be thankful they're as lenient as they are. This is their forum and they can do whatever they please, as long as they don't break any laws like threaten people or something way out in left field.

tl;dr: quit crying like a bunch of babies.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jul 26, 2006
7566 posts
389 upvotes
Scarborough
JK400 wrote:
Jun 16th, 2012 1:36 am
Didn't even read the first post (looked long and drawn out), but




They could delete your avatar right now if they felt like it. Hell they could ban you for no reason whatsoever, delete your account and erase any history of you even being on this site and there isn't a damn thing you could do about it. Not that I agree with every staff move made on here (due to lack of caring mostly) but just be thankful they're as lenient as they are. This is their forum and they can do whatever they please, as long as they don't break any laws like threaten people or something way out in left field.

tl;dr: quit crying like a bunch of babies.
If they try to delete any history of me, it'll show up in server logs/backups etc. The reason they don't delete people is because of the difficulties. Not to mention, I have screen shots of the PM's. If they deleted my avatar, they would be taken to the Ontario Human Rights Tribunal, who would deal with them. As I said in my PM to ornar, private business CAN NOT discriminate against people based on creed (or sex, or weight, or age, or sexual orientation, or height, or race, or hair colour, or eye colour, without being in a world of trouble.)
Most people don't think they have rights when visiting websites, but, when it's owned by an Ontario business, and it's registered in Ontario with Head Quarters in Ontario, than they are legally obligated to follow Ontario Laws, just as they are required to follow US Federal, and State laws where their website is stored. Just like Google can't say "Sorry, just because we have several hundred terabytes of data from Canadian wifi (from when our Street View car 'sniffed out data') including phone numbers, and network passwords etc, but we don't have a physical presence, we're going to ignore Canadian Privacy concerns." Google can't do that, and won't, and RFD can't ignore laws, and (hopefully) won't... NOW, I was just showing an example where knowing your rights as a human, can help you. The OP isn't totally baseless in his request - just because his link has ads on it, doesn't mean he is going to personally gain from it.
I recently posted a video from Anderson Cooper's "Ridiculist" ... I'm sure (though I can't see them in Fx) that there are a couple ads on the link, but it wasn't removed... was it?
[external advertising link removed)
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 30, 2006
8728 posts
297 upvotes
Toronto
_Allan_ wrote:
Jun 16th, 2012 1:12 am
While RFD is NOT a democracy, they do have to listen to their members, or risk losing members, and federal and provincial laws, or risk fines.
I'll post a PERSONAL case:
July 11, 2011, I received a PM from ornar, requesting my avatar be removed immediately, as he had been made aware, that my avatar "was in violation of site rules as "political or otherwise controversial content".
Around 4 hours later, I replied below, and haven't heard from him since. THUS, I think ornar DOES understand business a bit better than he lets on:
(My response to his demand for me to remove my avatar)
It is not discrimination if it is applied to all members.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 30, 2006
8728 posts
297 upvotes
Toronto
You would seriously take them to the human right tribunal over an avatar? That is truly sad and pathetic.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 2, 2009
14093 posts
576 upvotes
Toronto
D-Roc wrote:
Jun 16th, 2012 5:01 am
It is not discrimination if it is applied to all members.
+1 They presumably allowed your icon to stand because no one complained about it. But now that the moderators are enforcing the rules more, they're going after your avatar just as they would anyone else's. If anything, you should be wondering why it's okay for other avatars to be changed but allow yours to stay.

...on that note, why the passion about Human Rights Tribunal now? There have been plenty of RFD users who have had their avatar changed due to rules. I didn't see you pull the Human Rights/Federal Laws/Provincial Laws card before. If you're really for freedom of expression and such, you should have been waving this card years ago from the getgo. Let's face it - the only reason why you're waving the card now is the idea that your avatar may be personally under threat.

If someone else's avatar were to be changed and yours left untouched, would you still go marching to the HRT? You wouldn't. You'd only go if yours were touched. Using something rather important and significant as a front for self-interest is a rather rude thing to do.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 28, 2005
3877 posts
185 upvotes
Toronto
D-Roc wrote:
Jun 16th, 2012 5:04 am
You would seriously take them to the human right tribunal over an avatar? That is truly sad and pathetic.
+1 as a atheist I find that avatar offensive and it should be removed. And yes I reported it as offensive.
You say get high, I say hello!
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 24, 2005
9454 posts
991 upvotes
N/A
_Allan_ wrote:
Jun 16th, 2012 1:12 am
While RFD is NOT a democracy, they do have to listen to their members, or risk losing members, and federal and provincial laws, or risk fines.
I'll post a PERSONAL case:
July 11, 2011, I received a PM from ornar, requesting my avatar be removed immediately, as he had been made aware, that my avatar "was in violation of site rules as "political or otherwise controversial content".
Around 4 hours later, I replied below, and haven't heard from him since. THUS, I think ornar DOES understand business a bit better than he lets on:
(My response to his demand for me to remove my avatar)
i am a staunch anti-theist, but your avatar doesn't bother me.
if the admin does take action against your way of expressing yourself, it is in your right to take them to court, and you'd have my support.
“Children see magic because they look for it.”

Top