Site Comments & Suggestions

Locked: Commentary and Questions Regarding Inconsistent Application of Forum Rules

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 17th, 2012 5:55 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
May 8, 2005
31842 posts
1333 upvotes
_Allan_ wrote:
Jun 16th, 2012 2:00 am
If they try to delete any history of me, it'll show up in server logs/backups etc. The reason they don't delete people is because of the difficulties. Not to mention, I have screen shots of the PM's. If they deleted my avatar, they would be taken to the Ontario Human Rights Tribunal, who would deal with them.

As I said in my PM to ornar, private business CAN NOT discriminate against people based on creed (or sex, or weight, or age, or sexual orientation, or height, or race, or hair colour, or eye colour, without being in a world of trouble.)
I dunno...a private amusement park can discriminate based on ' height ' and ' weight ' as to who is allowed to go on their amusement rides....can they not ? :razz:

And frankly, as far as the avatar issue goes, if there is a rule such that ALL religious themed avatars aren't allowed...then so long as there is no discrimination in it's enforcement ( i.e it applies to ALL religions ), I don't see an issue with it...the rule is being applied equally to everyone.

And, I don't see how having one's ' religious themed ' avatar removed from a site in any way prevents anyone from fully enjoying their ' freedom of religion ' rights under the Charter. What's next - are you going to go after RFD in court because RFD ALSO has a rule that you aren't allowed to discuss religious topics on RFD - and as a result this RFD rule - your ' freedom of religion ' rights under the Charter have been somehow been violated ? If a site can ban religious themed threads / discussion- then it can ban religious themed avatars...at least IMO.

And, on the issue of ' freedom of religion ', if one's religion is staunchly and unequivocally ' anti-gay ', do you think you someone has a right to post an ' anti-gay ' avatar under the cloak of religious freedom ?
" The placebo effect is the most powerful supplement of all "
" The pain of discipline weighs ounces, the pain of neglect weighs tons "
" The best training in the world can't overcome a lousy diet "
TRAIN HARD !!!!
Deal Guru
Mar 2, 2009
14093 posts
576 upvotes
Toronto
poedua wrote:
Jun 16th, 2012 9:17 am
I dunno...a private amusement park can discriminate based on ' height ' and ' weight ' as to who is allowed to go on their amusement rides....can they not ? :razz:

And frankly, as far as the avatar issue goes, if there is a rule such that ALL religious themed avatars aren't allowed...then so long as there is no discrimination in it's enforcement ( i.e it applies to ALL religions ), I don't see an issue with it...the rule is being applied equally to everyone.

And, I don't see how having one's ' religious themed ' avatar removed from a site in any way prevents anyone from fully enjoying their ' freedom of religion ' rights under the Charter. What's next - are you going to go after RFD in court because RFD ALSO has a rule that you aren't allowed to discuss religious topics on RFD - and as a result this RFD rule - your ' freedom of religion ' rights under the Charter have been somehow been violated ? If a site can ban religious themed threads / discussion- then it can ban religious themed avatars...at least IMO.

And, on the issue of ' freedom of religion ', if one's religion is staunchly and unequivocally ' anti-gay ', do you think you someone has a right to post an ' anti-gay ' avatar under the cloak of religious freedom ?
...and to your left is an open can on it's side. Just in front of it is a pile of worms crawling out of it. Just saying.
Deal Guru
Apr 24, 2006
10087 posts
627 upvotes
Mississauga
The administration/moderation staff has been completely inconsistent with their application of the new rules. It appears as if they themselves don't know what it is. Has There EVER been a reversal? NO! Even when they make a mistake, they do nothing to rectify the situation. That's how you know you have a corrupt system in place. They choose when to lock threads of a political nature. Some stay open and some stay closed, yet they are exactly the same.

All we want is CONSISTENCY! It's really not all that hard. I don't care if you are volunteers or not, that is completely irrelevant. You're implying that there aren't qualified moderators would WANT to help. If you truly did want to help, then there wouldn't be as many issues as their currently are.
Deal Guru
Oct 14, 2003
14224 posts
1100 upvotes
Tijuana wrote:
Jun 16th, 2012 9:40 am
The administration/moderation staff has been completely inconsistent with their application of the new rules.
+1, if Alan's avatar isn't removed for being religious (which it is, and is against the rules) it will be really telling, since I know for a fact a number of political avatars have been removed. I've reported it this morning, and I think others have too, now we just wait.
D-Roc wrote:
Jun 16th, 2012 5:04 am
You would seriously take them to the human right tribunal over an avatar? That is truly sad and pathetic.
Rules are rules and they should be applied evenly.
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2005
31842 posts
1333 upvotes
Tijuana wrote:
The administration/moderation staff has been completely inconsistent with their application of the new rules. It appears as if they themselves don't know what it is. Has There EVER been a reversal? NO! Even when they make a mistake, they do nothing to rectify the situation. That's how you know you have a corrupt system in place.

They choose when to lock threads of a political nature.

Some stay open and some stay closed, yet they are exactly the same.
Just so we're all clear.....which ' political threads ' have remained open ?
Tijuana wrote:
All we want is CONSISTENCY! It's really not all that hard. I don't care if you are volunteers or not, that is completely irrelevant. You're implying that there aren't qualified moderators would WANT to help. If you truly did want to help, then there wouldn't be as many issues as their currently are.
Fair enough.

So, if it is " not all that hard " .......what in your view, could oranr do first thing Monday morning to immediately & dramatically improve the consistency by which the political rule is enforced ?

In other words, since it's " not all that hard " , if you were in oranr's shoes...what steps would you take next week to immediately & dramatically improve the consistency of the enforcement of this rule ?
TRAIN HARD !!!!
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
4680 posts
1486 upvotes
Toronto
poedua wrote:
Jun 16th, 2012 10:05 am
So, if it is " not all that hard " .......what in your view, could oranr do first thing Monday morning to immediately & dramatically improve the consistency by which the political rule is enforced ?

In other words, since it's " not all that hard " , if you were in oranr's shoes...what steps would you take next week to immediately & dramatically improve the consistency of the enforcement of this rule ?
I would start by saying what the rule actually is, definitively, with examples. What exactly is defined as political or religious? Is it anything that simply mentions a political party or religion, e.g. if I made a post saying "Mayor Ford wants more subways in Toronto, here's why subways are good or bad"? How about just talking about whether we should have subways in Toronto without mentioning any names - is that OK, or is that politics since everyone knows that the issue is a major political issue in the city even if no one mentions that side of it? What about gun control, or education, or welfare, or immigration - all of those have at some point been major political issues, but it is also possible to discuss them without going into the political specifics. In fact mostly any issue that has ever been debated, has been debated in a political arena. So where is the line drawn? Where exactly is that line crossed? If it's a rule basically intended to ban debate so that there's no arguing on the forum, then that should be the rule.

That aside, I think it's right that the original link in the OP was removed. I mean it's basically a forum set up to circumvent RFD and be an "underground" where an RFD clique can get together and talk smack, or even compete with RFD. I think it's pretty disrespectful to advertise unwanted offshoots of a website on the original website itself. Clearly and understandably RFD would prefer that these "chatrooms" didn't exist, so I think it makes a lot of sense that they don't want them advertised here.
Jul 5, 2004
23879 posts
3415 upvotes
Manatus wrote:
Jun 16th, 2012 10:20 am
That aside, I think it's right that the original link in the OP was removed. I mean it's basically a forum set up to circumvent RFD and be an "underground" where an RFD clique can get together and talk smack, or even compete with RFD. I think it's pretty disrespectful to advertise unwanted offshoots of a website on the original website itself. Clearly and understandably RFD would prefer that these "chatrooms" didn't exist, so I think it makes a lot of sense that they don't want them advertised here.
I agree. Having a sig linking to another forum is obviously an issue. Although that other forum isn't going to cause RFD to lose members, it's still competition. I think the issue is the fake reasoning given. Oranr really should have just come out and said he doesn't want a link to another forum in someone's sig. This thread probably wouldn't exist if he had done that. It's kind of the same with the constant tapatalk discussion. If RFD admin's would just come out and say that by implementing tapatalk they would lose ad revenue from their own mobile site, all the tapatalk discussion would go away.

Sometimes the blunt truth is what is needed.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2010
3927 posts
2399 upvotes
Burnaby
There are many RFD users whose signature links to external businesses. I once commented on a particular one whose signature linked to a blog shilling a cosmetic mail order subscription company --professional blogger using RFD signature to link to blog where she "reviews" (infomercials) products from only one particular mail order company called glossybox -- http://www.glossybox.ca/ . Here is the post:
This thread topic is just a ruse to promote her services as a blogger -- food & cosmetic "reviewer". The trick is in her signature. Perhaps a violation of RFD rules, not stupid in any way but rather clever.

Hope to get some people following or reading the reviews
----------------
If you would like to contact me for product reviews of cosmetics or anything food related I can be emailed at: prettytastyreviews@yahoo.com My book blog can be found at: www.bookpreviews.blogspot.com

===============
RFD moderators, your opinion?
source: facebook-poke-what-mean-some-guy-keeps- ... st14623932

Sometimes it looks like if rfd mods/admins were not consistent applying the rules, giving up the impression that it's more a sort of vindictive action on some rfders rather than the impartial application of the forum's rules. RFD mods/admins need to work more on this.
Banned
Mar 2, 2011
5476 posts
252 upvotes
Toronto
edgedamage wrote:
Jun 16th, 2012 7:37 am
+1 as a atheist I find that avatar offensive and it should be removed. And yes I reported it as offensive.
Who cares if its offensive :facepalm: you dont have the right not to be offended. Apparently you haven't heard of Free Speech :facepalm:

Why does the CHRISTIAN avatar bother you yet I hear nothing from you about other religious avatars, double standards and hypocrisy
Agafaba: "Hitman doesnt troll, he just has very strong opinions about controversial topics"
stealth: "Classic Hitman response. ;) A God amongst trolls"
pablonutribar: "Hehehe - you are a god amongst trolls."
king_george: "Keep up the good fight you awesome freeedom fighter you"
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2008
13378 posts
2709 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
This is exactly what is happening and I've brought it up to Oranr numerous times. However the excuses I hear are just :facepalm: . I'm probably no longer recognized as a good forum member because I was banned due to their inconsistent moderation policies. Banned for using a meme while others who personally attacked others throughout a 10 page thread, well nothing happened to them as far as I could tell.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2007
3228 posts
487 upvotes
Ojam wrote:
Jun 16th, 2012 9:45 am
+1, if Alan's avatar isn't removed for being religious (which it is, and is against the rules) it will be really telling, since I know for a fact a number of political avatars have been removed. I've reported it this morning, and I think others have too, now we just wait

Rules are rules and they should be applied evenly.
This. If the mods are removing avatars/sigs that are critical of religion, they should also be removing ones promoting it. Enforcing the rule about no religious discussion/sigs/avatars is not discriminating against religious people. Is RFD saying he can't be a member because he's christian? Are they refusing him service of some kind or preventing him from contributing to the forums? No? Then where exactly is the discrimination? Oh yeah, RFD won't let him prosthelytize on their dime...totally the same thing, right? :rolleyes: Good luck to him with the HRC, he can let us know how that goes. :lol: It's not discrimination just because you're expected to follow the same rules as everyone else.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
18792 posts
3420 upvotes
GTA West
Certain people are trying to troll this thread for the purpose of getting it locked. Please don't respond.

I would like to see a real response to this thread from Oranr rather than having it locked for some stupid reason.

Trolls, you know who you are. It is impossible to bait me by responding to this post.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2006
7608 posts
390 upvotes
Scarborough
poedua wrote:
Jun 16th, 2012 9:17 am
That's a SAFETY issue, and NOT a OHRT problem. Ontario Health and Safety mandates the heights/weights on amusement rides... it's for the persons safety, and thus, not a violation of their rights.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2005
31842 posts
1333 upvotes
_Allan_ wrote:
Jun 16th, 2012 2:13 pm
That's a SAFETY issue, and NOT a OHRT problem. Ontario Health and Safety mandates the heights/weights on amusement rides... it's for the persons safety, and thus, not a violation of their rights.
Fair enough. :)

Would be interested in your thoughts on my 2 other earlier questions.

Namely, if you think the banning of religious themed avatars is a violation of one's rights, do you consider RFD's current policy to ban the discussion of religious topics, posting of religious themed threads etc. a violation of one's rights as well ?

And, on the issue of ' freedom of religion ', do you think you preventing / banning a member from posting an ' anti-gay ' avatar ( assuming this member's religion is staunchly and unequivocally ' anti-gay ) is a violation of one's right's as well ?
TRAIN HARD !!!!
Banned
Mar 2, 2011
5476 posts
252 upvotes
Toronto
45ED wrote:
...and to your left is an open can on it's side. Just in front of it is a pile of worms crawling out of it. Just saying.
There are many religions that oppose gay people :facepalm:
Agafaba: "Hitman doesnt troll, he just has very strong opinions about controversial topics"
stealth: "Classic Hitman response. ;) A God amongst trolls"
pablonutribar: "Hehehe - you are a god amongst trolls."
king_george: "Keep up the good fight you awesome freeedom fighter you"