Site Comments & Suggestions

Locked: Commentary and Questions Regarding Inconsistent Application of Forum Rules

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 17th, 2012 5:55 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2011
9154 posts
14179 upvotes
Jucius Maximus wrote:
Jun 17th, 2012 3:03 pm
I do not understand your post. What "goal" are you talking about?
Sorry.

What is the goal of those interactions displayed by Sourmouse? It looks like a plot for something. General disturbing of OT? - but why?
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2012
3009 posts
110 upvotes
East York
Wow - I can't believe someone actually copied and pasted posts from the other forum - I'm not going to lie - the attitude/message of those posts are what I've alluded to in the past but I'd never be that obvious about it or call people out by name.....

This thread has been massively derailed and unfortunately for Jucuius, some people will make him guilty by association despite what he says on here....It sucks for him because he is a level-headed guy. If he did have a secret agenda with this thread I don't know but wow.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
18685 posts
3305 upvotes
GTA West
ishfish wrote:
Jun 17th, 2012 3:10 pm
Sorry.

What is the goal of those interactions displayed by Sourmouse? It looks like a plot for something. General disturbing of OT? - but why?
I have my theories but I'm not going to start stabbing out accusations here.
As mentioned in my original post, I actually advocate for troublemakers to be banned. I've had to hold back here a lot because my original post is directed to Oranr and the RFD admins, so I don't want to reply on the same issues to other people before seen an official response from RFD.

If you know the link to that other forum, go and research every one of my posts. I have never advocated subvertive / trolling / rule-breaking / etc actions on RFD.
Drew87 wrote:
Jun 17th, 2012 3:12 pm
Wow - I can't believe someone actually copied and pasted posts from the other forum - I'm not going to lie - the attitude/message of those posts are what I've alluded to in the past but I'd never be that obvious about it or call people out by name.....

This thread has been massively derailed and unfortunately for Jucuius, some people will make him guilty by association despite what he says on here....It sucks for him because he is a level-headed guy. If he did have a secret agenda with this thread I don't know but wow.
It is true that some people will see me as "guilty by association," which is unfortunate, as I have not done anything but ask WHAT the rules are, and for them to be applied consistently. (If Oranr had come up with a logical reason to delete my sig, I probably would have never started this thread.) If rules are present and generally consistently applied, people will choose to use or not use this site as they wish, and RFD will rise or fall as a business. I have no problem with that. There is a lot more I want to say; I think a lot of people don't realise how much is going on in the background with many of the posters in this thread, some people's ulterior motives, etc, and (I suspect) the overall direction by RFD ownership.

Let's not forget, Red Flag Deals is, first and foremost, about DEALS. That's what drives a lot of people to this site. It is not, however, what causes deals to continue to be posted, discussed, spread around, dozens of new threads in Hot Deals every day, etc. That's why, as I mentioned in the OP, I believe a general downturn in the quality of deals posted on this site is inevitable. Watch my blog for more details; I will probably post about it after this din dies down.
What if there were no hypothetical questions?
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2012
3009 posts
110 upvotes
East York
Jucius Maximus wrote:
Jun 17th, 2012 3:27 pm
I have my theories but I'm not going to start stabbing out accusations here.
As mentioned in my original post, I actually advocate for troublemakers to be banned. I've had to hold back here a lot because my original post is directed to Oranr and the RFD admins, so I don't want to reply on the same issues to other people before seen an official response from RFD.

If you know the link to that other forum, go and research every one of my posts. I have never advocated subvertive / trolling / rule-breaking / etc actions on RFD.

It is true that some people will see me as "guilty by association," which is unfortunate, as I have not done anything but ask WHAT the rules are, and for them to be applied consistently. (If Oranr had come up with a logical reason to delete my sig, I probably would have never started this thread.) If rules are present and generally consistently applied, people will choose to use or not use this site as they wish, and RFD will rise or fall as a business. I have no problem with that. There is a lot more I want to say; I think a lot of people don't realise how much is going on in the background with many of the posters in this thread, some people's ulterior motives, etc, and (I suspect) the overall direction by RFD ownership.

Let's not forget, Red Flag Deals is, first and foremost, about DEALS. That's what drives a lot of people to this site. It is not, however, what causes deals to continue to be posted, discussed, spread around, dozens of new threads in Hot Deals every day, etc. That's why, as I mentioned in the OP, I believe a general downturn in the quality of deals posted on this site is inevitable. Watch my blog for more details; I will probably post about it after this din dies down.
I couldn't possibly agree more with the bolded parts - oh well - I'm curious to see if a mod actually decides to post in this thread - I've had one or two "thank" some of my posts in this thread but have yet to see a response.
May 14, 2008
438 posts
68 upvotes
Sourmouse wrote:
Jun 17th, 2012 2:32 pm
[IMG]http://i48.tinypic.com/35jdny8.png[/IMG]

Not so innocent now, are we? :lol:

"EbonyRose" post in the quote above proves the point that I made when I said that all external links in signatures are nothing more than spam in disguise. If you want to start a new business, that’s great -- but stop spamming RFD members with links to that business in your RFD posts via your signature.

RFD should ban all external links in signatures!

[OP]
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
18685 posts
3305 upvotes
GTA West
WannaBe wrote:
Jun 17th, 2012 4:13 pm
"EbonyRose" post in the quote above proves the point that I made when I said that all external links in signatures are nothing more than spam in disguise. If you want to start a new business, that’s great -- but stop spamming RFD members with links to that business in your RFD posts via your signature.

Now you get back to the original point of the thread: "If you want to start a new business, that’s great..."

As I explained in detail in the OP, there is no "business" involved in the site shown above. It's a guy's hobby site. No business registration. No GST. No Adsense / banner revenues. No tax return. No Profit. No money changing hands.
This is why I want to get the rules clarified. If they want to ban ALL links in signatures, that's fine and I would ahere to it, as long as there's no exceptions and it applies to everyone.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2012
3009 posts
110 upvotes
East York
WannaBe wrote:
Jun 17th, 2012 4:13 pm

Banning external links in signatures doesn't accomplish anything. What will happen is instead of publicly displaying their links they will just start PM'ing RFD users that they think are recruit-able. For example users that appear upset with an RFD mod.

It's already happened numerous times.

There's something I want to add to my comments above. I want to say that I don't have a problem personally with people privately sharing links to their own sites - I just think in some cases - people exploit other peoples emotions - such as when someone is frustrated with an RFD mod. IMO they try to sway that persons view of RFD by sharing their own BIASED view without letting the other side defend themselves. It's a bad situation, especially in a public place like a chat room because everyone piles on with one perception and when you hear one view enough you start to think it's true.
May 14, 2008
438 posts
68 upvotes
ishfish wrote:
Jun 17th, 2012 3:10 pm
Sorry.

It's business. They've started a rival website and need lots of new members, and so they are trying to attract as much attention to that website via their signature links. In addition, they are trying to make the RFD experience as disruptive as possible so as to sow seeds of discontent among RFD users (sabotage), and thus win new users for their new website.

It's all just business.

May 14, 2008
438 posts
68 upvotes
Drew87 wrote:
Jun 17th, 2012 4:18 pm
Banning external links in signatures doesn't accomplish anything. What will happen is instead of publicly displaying their links they will just start PM'ing RFD users that they think are recruit-able. For example users that appear upset with an RFD mod.

It's already happened numerous times.

There's something I want to add to my comments above. I want to say that I don't have a problem personally with people privately sharing links to their own sites - I just think in some cases - people exploit other peoples emotions - such as when someone is frustrated with an RFD mod. IMO they try to sway that persons view of RFD by sharing their own BIASED view without letting the other side defend themselves. It's a bad situation, especially in a public place like a chat room because everyone piles on with one perception and when you hear one view enough you start to think it's true.

Private PM messages don't bother me at all. It's the inclusion of external spam links in RFD member posts that I hate. When I log on to RFD forums, it is to enjoy discussions, arguments, etc. Nowadays, I have to scroll past an ever-increasing bunch of links advertising shoe websites, food blogs, etc at the bottom of user posts. I hate spam.

[OP]
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
18685 posts
3305 upvotes
GTA West
WannaBe wrote:
Jun 17th, 2012 4:29 pm
It's business. They've started a rival website and need lots of new members, and so they are trying to attract as much attention to that website via their signature links. In addition, they are trying to make the RFD experience as disruptive as possible so as to sow seeds of discontent among RFD users (sabotage), and thus win new users for their new website.

It's all just business.
I suspect that other people who considered the situation and posts more carefully will come to different conclusions.
May 14, 2008
438 posts
68 upvotes
Jucius Maximus wrote:
Jun 17th, 2012 4:17 pm
Now you get back to the original point of the thread: "If you want to start a new business, that’s great..."

As I explained in detail in the OP, there is no "business" involved in the site shown above. It's a guy's hobby site. No business registration. No GST. No Adsense / banner revenues. No tax return. No Profit. No money changing hands.
This is why I want to get the rules clarified. If they want to ban ALL links in signatures, that's fine and I would ahere to it, as long as there's no exceptions and it applies to everyone.

I beg to (politely) differ. Of course there is a business involved!!! I don't know who started it, so I have no dog in this hunt (just a dislike of spam), but everyone who starts a blog/website is secretly hoping that they get alot of users. That way, they can start earning money via Google adsense, or whatever. And eventually, if their blog/website becomes popular enough, they can sell it to yellowpages.com

Jul 5, 2004
23826 posts
3386 upvotes
Can't believe this is still open. I'm not entirely sure what the point of this thread is anymore. The original point has long been buried.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2012
3009 posts
110 upvotes
East York
WannaBe wrote:
Jun 17th, 2012 4:43 pm
I beg to (politely) differ. Of course there is a business involved!!! I don't know who started it, so I have no dog in this hunt (just a dislike of spam), but everyone who starts a blog/website is secretly hoping that they get alot of users. That way, they can start earning money via Google adsense, or whatever. And eventually, if their blog/website becomes popular enough, they can sell it to yellowpages.com

I agree

As much as JM or anyone else wants to say that the tinychat chat room or the other forum (the one that sourmouse linked to) aren't a business or aren't generating a profit- up until a couple months ago (before I left) those sites did have Google ad-sense and were a business.....I don't know if the owner has given up on trying to raise profits but when I was there the owner and top mod begged me to post and click ads in an attempt to raise revenue because I was the most active poster/spammer...Those same people as Sourmouse indicated were trying to promote/recruit people from this site.

That's all I know so I'm not going to post or speculate further.
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2008
13127 posts
2552 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Shaner wrote:
Jun 17th, 2012 4:46 pm
Can't believe this is still open. I'm not entirely sure what the point of this thread is anymore. The original point has long been buried.
Maybe if the admins reply, then this thread would have ended long ago. But they haven't. Not sure why..... As I pointed out before, they are quick to respond. It looks like the admins are deliberately avoiding this topic.

And if you believe everything that people post online, then you sir deserve a facepalm. Half the time on that forum, it's all garbage posts with no sense of seriousness. This thread here is very serious. Users have actually been punished because of their inconsistency.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2005
31842 posts
1333 upvotes
geokilla wrote:
Jun 17th, 2012 4:53 pm
Maybe if the admins reply, then this thread would have ended long ago. But they haven't. Not sure why..... As I pointed out before, they are quick to respond. It looks like the admins are deliberately avoiding this topic.
I suspect oranr is simply off for the weekend ..as he should be.
" The placebo effect is the most powerful supplement of all "
" The pain of discipline weighs ounces, the pain of neglect weighs tons "
" The best training in the world can't overcome a lousy diet "
TRAIN HARD !!!!