• Last Updated:
  • Mar 9th, 2018 11:35 pm
[OP]
Aug 4, 2006
434 posts
148 upvotes
GTA - Gwill

Comments on buying a new router - no need for wireless ability

Do not use the wireless feature ... only use hard wire connection. In this case, any router will do? Do I need to worry about encryption? Then only need WPAP2 as that's the latest? But Isn't encryption only for wireless communication? Thanks for your input.

Currently using old Belkin Play router.
13 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2004
2531 posts
573 upvotes
Toronto
2flags wrote:
Mar 8th, 2018 3:55 pm
... any router will do? ...
With gigabit port(s), Yes.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
5662 posts
4014 upvotes
North York
Why then do you need a router? If you just need to add more ports, get a switch.
There's no default encryption for wired, some advanced routers probably would, but not regular consumer grade routers. You are letting someone into your house, and plug in your router, why would you need a password?
[OP]
Aug 4, 2006
434 posts
148 upvotes
GTA - Gwill
konsensei wrote:
Mar 8th, 2018 9:54 pm
Why then do you need a router? If you just need to add more ports, get a switch.
There's no default encryption for wired, some advanced routers probably would, but not regular consumer grade routers. You are letting someone into your house, and plug in your router, why would you need a password?
Here's the set up: Cable modem > router - then split to two other devices and another line to a switch which is connected to 2 other devices. The "other" line runs happens to run another device and the VOIP ATA box. Are you saying that I could just replace the router with another switch? Thanks.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 6, 2005
5743 posts
763 upvotes
Yeah I don't think there's a use case for a Router here, just another switch would do. I assume your Cable Modem already has WiFi built in which means it also has a router built in, so a switch would just expand the number of wired devices.
[OP]
Aug 4, 2006
434 posts
148 upvotes
GTA - Gwill
tkyoshi wrote:
Mar 8th, 2018 10:32 pm
Yeah I don't think there's a use case for a Router here, just another switch would do. I assume your Cable Modem already has WiFi built in which means it also has a router built in, so a switch would just expand the number of wired devices.
I don't think there's a WIFI built into this TechnicolorTC4300 modem.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
2583 posts
445 upvotes
Hard to get a modern router without wireless.. Just get any router and just turn off the wireless to save yourself some headache hunting for one without wireless. I think the TC4300 is a dedicated modem... no router function?
Apr 27, 2009
204 posts
57 upvotes
West Vancouver
Keep existing router add another switch or replace existing switch with one with more ports, that is if you want more ports.

If you want a router with better performance or firewall buy a wireless router and disable wifi. You may want to use the WiFi on a new router as it may provide a better signal than the ISP router
Deal Fanatic
Mar 6, 2005
5743 posts
763 upvotes
2flags wrote:
Mar 8th, 2018 11:39 pm
I don't think there's a WIFI built into this TechnicolorTC4300 modem.
Ah ok, yeah then just get another router, they all have built in WiFi these days. If you don't want WiFi you can just shut it off.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2010
2592 posts
1170 upvotes
Burlington
What kind of monster are you that you don't use wireless?
Jan 10, 2017
999 posts
413 upvotes
GTA
What OP is saying,
"I have a modem, a wired router, and ran out of ports to connect more devices. Do I buy a router? Which one?"
Everyone in this thread has been confusing to the OP and gave me a headache, although some were right but more information was required for OP to understand.

OP, buy a switch, connect one of the ports to your router, you will now have additional ports to your router.
https://www.amazon.ca/NETGEAR-8-port-Gi ... bit+switch
A switch allows more devices to be connected, but do not manage things such as wifi, device management, or DHCP. It only turns 1 Ethernet port into 4-7 more.
Information Security Analyst
---
Fido $15/3GB + voip.ms $1/M + 3cx PBX voip push client $0 + Google Server vps $0 = $16/Month voip solution with no battery drain.
Thread
[OP]
Aug 4, 2006
434 posts
148 upvotes
GTA - Gwill
Thanks everyone for you advice!
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
3770 posts
707 upvotes
A router doesn't work like a DUMP switch even you remove it's wifi capability. It acts as a firewall to protect your network from pings and attacks. If you don't use wifi, get one with high LAN throughput such as R7000 (at least dual core CPU) to handle and prioritize the traffic. A dump switch won't prioritize the traffic for your VOIP.
And you don't use phone, tablet at home?
FS : Promise NS4300N NAS,Linksys RE400W,E5151,HBB1,VIVOTab RT,MemoPad 8
[OP]
Aug 4, 2006
434 posts
148 upvotes
GTA - Gwill
Mar 9th, 2018 7:37 pm
A router doesn't work like a DUMP switch even you remove it's wifi capability. It acts as a firewall to protect your network from pings and attacks. If you don't use wifi, get one with high LAN throughput such as R7000 (at least dual core CPU) to handle and prioritize the traffic. A dump switch won't prioritize the traffic for your VOIP.
And you don't use phone, tablet at home?
Family time ... don't want everyone staring at a piece of glass if you know what I mean.