Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2003
4694 posts
180 upvotes

Commission sales at Futureshop....

This is a question to all Futureshop employees regarding commission sales.

What happens in these two scenarios :

1) I go to cash register to pay for my item. No salesperson helped me at all. The cashier asks if anyone helped me with the item, I say 'no'. Will the cashier actually record it in the register as a non-commissioned sale or do most cashiers record it as a commissioned sale to say a buddy co-worker?

2) I want to buy an item that's locked up in a cabinet. I just want to get the item, pay for it, then leave. I do NOT need the help of a salesperson with the item other than having them opening the cabinet. Does the salesperson that did nothing but open the cabinet for me, get a commission on this sale? Can I request that salesperson not get credit for the sale (even if the DID help me but was being a jack@ss when they helped?)

Thank you.
:eek:
84 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2005
1600 posts
272 upvotes
Toronto
I'm an employee of Future Shop currently, and would like to voice some of my opinions.

Just like you, we've got families to feed and bills to pay. Whether or not commission is given out to a salesperson shouldn't matter to you - as it's not coming out of your pocket. Are you really that self-centered, and does it really matter to you whether or not someone gets commission? In the end, you're paying the same - but you've helped another person, and in return - you do get better service.

I remember clearly once; I greeted a customer, asked if they had any questions or needed some help - all in the nicest tone. He simply ignored me, to which I figured he didn't need any help. A few minutes later, he walked out to the cashiers with a huge paper shredder - in which I attempted to help him carry out. When asking if I could help him out with that, he glared at me and told me off - "You didn't help me". For that entire day, I was completely bummed out because of that one customer.

To answer your question though, cashiers record sales as non-commissioned (as it's against the rules to do otherwise).
Can I request that salesperson not get credit for the sale (even if the DID help me but was being a jack@ss when they helped?)
If that was the case, by all means - yes.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2007
6698 posts
512 upvotes
Toronto
I like the above poster don't really see the harm in "stealing" a commission away from someone. They are just doing their job, whether you like it or not.

Most people that I met were just students struggling through school. Of course they will try to help you, but even if the situation came where they just came up to you at the end, does it really benefit you to have the money that would go to them, go directly to FS? All you are doing is giving more money to an "evil corporation" rather than joe blow beside you.

If I were you I'd make sure EVERY sale got a comission
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2006
3350 posts
65 upvotes
I know don't be a prick about it. If that sale person was really was a jerk. you can always get another sales person id and give them commission. :D
2010 Rig: i7 930 @ 2.8Ghz, 6GB DDR3 G.Skill 1600, 256GB SSD, 1TB WB Black, R280C, Gigabyte EX58-UD3R, Thermaltake S-Spin H/S, Corsair HX650W, CM Scout Case, 2x LG Flatron W2343V,Win7 Ultimate 64bit
Feb 24, 2006
802 posts
1 upvote
Brampton
mmmken wrote:
Apr 19th, 2008 6:34 pm
I remember clearly once; I greeted a customer, asked if they had any questions or needed some help - all in the nicest tone. He simply ignored me, to which I figured he didn't need any help. A few minutes later, he walked out to the cashiers with a huge paper shredder - in which I attempted to help him carry out. When asking if I could help him out with that, he glared at me and told me off - "You didn't help me". For that entire day, I was completely bummed out because of that one customer.
I used to work at playdium and know EXACTLY how you feel about rude customers.

@ the OP, I'm sure if you wanted to you'd be able to request a zero commission sale. At the end of it all, you're going to pay the same price. Just take note of who's consistently a jackass and make sure to never get help from them again.
The name is Art.
My heatware
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10455 posts
1960 upvotes
I rarely go into FS these days. But I remember in the past that I couldn't get anyone to help me and was very adamant at the register that no one helped. The same sales people that ignored me would chase after me once I picked my item and started walking to the cash. On one occasion, I was waiting for my brother in the computer department. I watched as one male customer after the other was approached by sales staff but not me. The sales people seem to think that since I was a woman I couldn't possibly be purchasing anything. Their loss.

More recently, I asked a sales guy to get a printer for me off the top shelf. Initially, he was going to climb on the shelving unit when I told him to get a ladder. I didn't want him to get hurt or for the boxes which we packed high to fall on me. While I was waiting for the first guy to come back with the ladder, another guy comes along and asks if he can help. I said "No, I am waiting for someone to come back with a ladder." He asks what I want. I point out the printer. First he starts looking around for another one. I point the first sales guy already checked, that this one the only one. He then starts climbing up the shelving unit. I tell him to get down, the other guy is coming with a ladder and I will wait for him. I am adamant about this because at the time I was a health & safety rep. in another retail store. Climbing on shelving units is a big no-no. After scaring the crap out of me by almost knocking several large boxes over on me, he gets the printer. He then starts ringing in the sale. I am stunned as he is trying to steal a sale from a colleague. I tell him that the other guy is helping me. Finally, the other guy shows up and is noticeably and rightly pissed. They start to argue and I insist that the first guy was helping me. The whole episode made me very uncomfortable. I think the first guy thought I was also trying to take the sale away from him.

The point of this story is that sometimes customers get stuck in the middle of sales reps. fighting for commissions. So many times, we want nothing to do with sales reps. Perhaps, something similar happened to the customer mentioned above. I guess I am fortunate that I am generally ignored at FS.
May 5, 2006
690 posts
1 upvote
gretzky99 wrote:
Apr 19th, 2008 5:47 pm
This is a question to all Futureshop employees regarding commission sales.

What happens in these two scenarios :

1) I go to cash register to pay for my item. No salesperson helped me at all. The cashier asks if anyone helped me with the item, I say 'no'. Will the cashier actually record it in the register as a non-commissioned sale or do most cashiers record it as a commissioned sale to say a buddy co-worker?

2) I want to buy an item that's locked up in a cabinet. I just want to get the item, pay for it, then leave. I do NOT need the help of a salesperson with the item other than having them opening the cabinet. Does the salesperson that did nothing but open the cabinet for me, get a commission on this sale? Can I request that salesperson not get credit for the sale (even if the DID help me but was being a jack@ss when they helped?)

Thank you.
Try Best Buy - bought a laptop and was told that it doesn't matter. Actually spoke to guy day before and came back next day to get.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 16, 2008
5608 posts
118 upvotes
Cheap Cat wrote:
Apr 19th, 2008 8:12 pm
I rarely go into FS these days. But I remember in the past that I couldn't get anyone to help me and was very adamant at the register that no one helped. The same sales people that ignored me would chase after me once I picked my item and started walking to the cash. On one occasion, I was waiting for my brother in the computer department. I watched as one male customer after the other was approached by sales staff but not me. The sales people seem to think that since I was a woman I couldn't possibly be purchasing anything. Their loss.

More recently, I asked a sales guy to get a printer for me off the top shelf. Initially, he was going to climb on the shelving unit when I told him to get a ladder. I didn't want him to get hurt or for the boxes which we packed high to fall on me. While I was waiting for the first guy to come back with the ladder, another guy comes along and asks if he can help. I said "No, I am waiting for someone to come back with a ladder." He asks what I want. I point out the printer. First he starts looking around for another one. I point the first sales guy already checked, that this one the only one. He then starts climbing up the shelving unit. I tell him to get down, the other guy is coming with a ladder and I will wait for him. I am adamant about this because at the time I was a health & safety rep. in another retail store. Climbing on shelving units is a big no-no. After scaring the crap out of me by almost knocking several large boxes over on me, he gets the printer. He then starts ringing in the sale. I am stunned as he is trying to steal a sale from a colleague. I tell him that the other guy is helping me. Finally, the other guy shows up and is noticeably and rightly pissed. They start to argue and I insist that the first guy was helping me. The whole episode made me very uncomfortable. I think the first guy thought I was also trying to take the sale away from him.

The point of this story is that sometimes customers get stuck in the middle of sales reps. fighting for commissions. So many times, we want nothing to do with sales reps. Perhaps, something similar happened to the customer mentioned above. I guess I am fortunate that I am generally ignored at FS.
those are the idiotic employees who steal people's sales. when someone tells you that an associate is already helping them, back off.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 23, 2005
7756 posts
3652 upvotes
I dont get why you want to be so rude about it?!?!

Who cares if a commissioned sales person rings it in?!?! In most cases, the commission is minimal in the first place, depending on what you are getting. Just pay for it, refuse the PSP and go on about your day. Don't be an @$$ ...

And to answer your Q, NO ... the cashiers at the front don't ring it in under anyones name if no one helped you out.
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2004
2008 posts
186 upvotes
boyoflondon wrote:
Apr 19th, 2008 8:22 pm

Who cares if a commissioned sales person rings it in?!?! In most cases, the commission is minimal in the first place, depending on what you are getting. Just pay for it, refuse the PSP and go on about your day. Don't be an @$$ ...

And to answer your Q, NO ... the cashiers at the front don't ring it in under anyones name if no one helped you out.
I don't get why you think the OP is being rude(?!?!).

He asked two rather legitimate questions about how Futureshop works. Commission is earned, not a given. And if a salesperson treats me rudely, you can be assured I'll go out of my way to make sure he does not receive an undeserved commission.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
3475 posts
87 upvotes
You are assuming that the salesperson at FS is actually eligible to receive commission. Sales Associate only make commission on warranties, not on products. Product Experts make commission on sales and warranties. Just something to think about when it comes to who you're purchasing an item from.
My Toys:
LG 42" PJ550 - Energy Mini Speakers - Yamaha HTR-6150 Receiver - 500GB PS3 - 250 GB Xbox 360 - Xbox - Patriot Box Office w/ 1TB External HD - GameCube - N64 - SNES - NES - PSP2000 - Game Boy Micro - iPhone4 32GB - 13" Aluminum Macbook - Dell 23" 1080p LCD - Logitech Z2300 2.1 Speakers - iPod Touch 8GB - iPod Mini 6GB
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2003
4694 posts
180 upvotes
mmmken wrote:
Apr 19th, 2008 6:34 pm
Just like you, we've got families to feed and bills to pay. Whether or not commission is given out to a salesperson shouldn't matter to you - as it's not coming out of your pocket. Are you really that self-centered, and does it really matter to you whether or not someone gets commission? In the end, you're paying the same - but you've helped another person, and in return - you do get better service.

Sadly, this is the typical response of most employees these days. :rolleyes:
The "shouldn't matter to you - as it's not coming out of your pocket" reasoning to justify a commission/bonus increase/salary increase etc....even though it's not deserved.

If that's the case, then everyone in this World should ask their Manager for the MAXIMUM salary percentage increase because it shouldn't matter to your manager what salary increase you get as it's not coming out of his pocket.

To be more specific, I went to a Futureshop store at night, during a weekday. The store was dead, employees were gathered around together shooting the sh*t with each other. I had to go over to this group and ask a Futureshop employee to open the cabinet so I could purchase something. Can you honestly tell me you think it's "ok" that this guy who did nothing but open the cabinet for me should get a commission? If you think that's ok then maybe you are the one that's really self-centred. ;)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2003
4694 posts
180 upvotes
boyoflondon wrote:
Apr 19th, 2008 8:22 pm

Can you please tell me how I was being "so rude" and an @$$???? :?:
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2006
3350 posts
65 upvotes
You should just seek the manager for help and post a picture of yourself. So every retail store with commission-base, so sale persons could refuse to serve and greet you. obviously you're a waste their time and they rather just go help some1 that needs it.

FYI: to open the cages they required the manager's key. So they're the 1's that run around looking for the managers to get the keys to open cages. Since you going to be a prick about it. You might as well walk in ask for the manager to get you the items and don't worry THEY'RE NOT ON COMMISSION.

You sounds like a type of person that doesn't even leave a small tip after a good meal + service and probably takes your gf to McD's for your anniversary :D .
gretzky99 wrote:
Apr 19th, 2008 10:30 pm
The "shouldn't matter to you - as it's not coming out of your pocket" reasoning to justify a commission/bonus increase/salary increase etc....even though it's not deserved.

If that's the case, then everyone in this World should ask their Manager for the MAXIMUM salary percentage increase because it shouldn't matter to your manager what salary increase you get as it's not coming out of his pocket.

To be more specific, I went to a Futureshop store at night, during a weekday. The store was dead, employees were gathered around together shooting the sh*t with each other. I had to go over to this group and ask a Futureshop employee to open the cabinet so I could purchase something. Can you honestly tell me you think it's "ok" that this guy who did nothing but open the cabinet for me should get a commission? If you think that's ok then maybe you are the one that's really self-centred. ;)
2010 Rig: i7 930 @ 2.8Ghz, 6GB DDR3 G.Skill 1600, 256GB SSD, 1TB WB Black, R280C, Gigabyte EX58-UD3R, Thermaltake S-Spin H/S, Corsair HX650W, CM Scout Case, 2x LG Flatron W2343V,Win7 Ultimate 64bit
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2005
1600 posts
272 upvotes
Toronto
gretzky99 wrote:
As long as it does not involve you doing any extra work, waiting any longer, or paying any more - what does it matter to you if the salesperson gets commission or not? It's not a reason for justification, it's just a part of our jobs. I'm not going to let you know why we do it (there are reasons aside from more money), because it doesn't matter to you.
gretzky99 wrote:
You don't know (or are expected to) how it works internally at Future Shop - but I'm going to let you know that it's the reverse of what you said here. Our managers press us to key in everything rather than letting the cashiers up at front do it.
gretzky99 wrote:
If the salesperson has treated you improperly (putting excessive pressure on you, done something to wrong you, etc), by all means - refuse commission towards that salesperson.

I'm not trying to be offensive here, but from the nature of your position on this subject - you sound really immature. I mean, does it really keep you from sleeping at night just because some body didn't get the commission off your sale? Does it really bother you that you helped another person?

It seems like you're the type of person to expect an employee to go through hoops before you give them your 2% tip. If you're bothered by an employee making a little bit of commission (on no cost on your behalf) for a little bit of service, I would hate to see how much you tip your server.

I'm going to refrain from further commenting in this thread, because I don't want to start an argument over trivial matters.
× < >