Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 11, 2009
3989 posts
996 upvotes
Debtario

Community Involvement

I'm looking to leave my current job in search of greener pastures, but some of the prospective positions I'm looking at value community involvement as part of the hiring process. I enjoy helping people, but everything I've seen so far doesn't really appeal to me (soup kitchens, kids camps,meals on wheels etc.). I volunteered at a major Canadian charity at one point but it was unfulfilling and the organization felt inefficiently managed with great effort and cost concentrated on CRA compliance to maintain charity status vs the actual goals of the charity. Needless to say I don't want to be involved in cold-calling people begging for money.

I was hoping to be active in something I'm passionate about but there seems to be nothing out there, the causes I am willing/able to help don't want my help. Alternatively I was hoping to get in touch with habitat for humanity to see if I could help out but also learn window framing/other home DIY reno/repair skills (like an unpaid apprenticeship - lend a hand under the direction of experienced people), or help wire/set up networks/computers but when I reached out it sounds they want professionals to handle construction aspects and everyone else can do general tasks like cleanup/painting/yard work. I assume that with today's litigation-happy environment there are likely liability concerns and other red tape in the way.

Any suggestions or advice how I can get involved? It feels as finding a cause willing to accept help is as difficult as finding a full time job! I'm starting to see why all these kids are going to 3rd world countries to build schools and such, it's rather depressing and just absurd.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
12 replies
Jun 2, 2012
75 posts
45 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Sorry OP. You remind me of a character from a movie. “I want to help but I only want to do important stuff”. Just like any job, you have to put in your dues. You start at the bottom, doing boring stuff. Then make yourself useful and you’ll get to do the intresting stuff. No one in their right mind is going to let you frame a house where the closest you’ve been to a hammer is shop class in school.
Just like no one is going to let you cook the main course in a pro kitchen if you haven’t worked your way up. You start by cutting onions. You won’t get to present arguments in front of a judge if you have never even done a motion...

You get what I’m saying right? No one gets to do the interesting stuff from the start...you start somewhere and hope to move forward ASAP by showing that you are too valuable to be wasted on the basics.
Feb 13, 2017
107 posts
24 upvotes
toronto, ontario
M1K3Z0R wrote:
Aug 4th, 2018 6:30 pm
I'm looking to leave my current job in search of greener pastures, but some of the prospective positions I'm looking at value community involvement as part of the hiring process.
Do these prospective positions require "community involvement" as a condition of employment? Or is it simply a desirable quality for your resume?

I would assume if you had the necessary skills, qualifications, and experience, that would be enough to secure the position.

But I'm also guessing your situation may be very industry specific.

EDIT: Clarification.
Last edited by PhotoSmurf on Aug 6th, 2018 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
3750 posts
671 upvotes
Toronto
gemenichic wrote:
Aug 5th, 2018 10:52 am
Sorry OP. You remind me of a character from a movie. “I want to help but I only want to do important stuff”. Just like any job, you have to put in your dues. You start at the bottom, doing boring stuff. Then make yourself useful and you’ll get to do the intresting stuff. No one in their right mind is going to let you frame a house where the closest you’ve been to a hammer is shop class in school.
Just like no one is going to let you cook the main course in a pro kitchen if you haven’t worked your way up. You start by cutting onions. You won’t get to present arguments in front of a judge if you have never even done a motion...

You get what I’m saying right? No one gets to do the interesting stuff from the start...you start somewhere and hope to move forward ASAP by showing that you are too valuable to be wasted on the basics.
But at the same time, you could say that people don't value something unless they have to pay for it. What you say makes perfect sense in terms of a career, but I get where OP is coming from too, in that this isn't a career, what is there to 'work up to'? He's already offering the most valuable thing a person has (time) for free, so I don't think it's wrong to want to do something he wants to do at least a little bit, rather than being a gofer.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
1246 posts
531 upvotes
M1K3Z0R wrote:
I'm looking to leave my current job in search of greener pastures, but some of the prospective positions I'm looking at value community involvement as part of the hiring process. I enjoy helping people, but everything I've seen so far doesn't really appeal to me (soup kitchens, kids camps,meals on wheels etc.). I volunteered at a major Canadian charity at one point but it was unfulfilling and the organization felt inefficiently managed with great effort and cost concentrated on CRA compliance to maintain charity status vs the actual goals of the charity. Needless to say I don't want to be involved in cold-calling people begging for money.

I was hoping to be active in something I'm passionate about but there seems to be nothing out there, the causes I am willing/able to help don't want my help. Alternatively I was hoping to get in touch with habitat for humanity to see if I could help out but also learn window framing/other home DIY reno/repair skills (like an unpaid apprenticeship - lend a hand under the direction of experienced people), or help wire/set up networks/computers but when I reached out it sounds they want professionals to handle construction aspects and everyone else can do general tasks like cleanup/painting/yard work. I assume that with today's litigation-happy environment there are likely liability concerns and other red tape in the way.

Any suggestions or advice how I can get involved? It feels as finding a cause willing to accept help is as difficult as finding a full time job! I'm starting to see why all these kids are going to 3rd world countries to build schools and such, it's rather depressing and just absurd.
There are many volunteer opportunities. However, as the person above said you do have to put in your time. Many of the volunteer opportunists require just ‘manual Labour’ of cleaning, painting, etc. Or are with group most vulnerable kids, seniors, the poor. You are really limiting yourself as you pretty much said that you don’t want to do any of this.

Not all employers look for community service, but it is a plus because it shows that a person is motivated knows by more than just money, and generally has a sense of community, and is not just looking out for themselves.

What is it that you are actually interested in or causes that you are passionate about? You are looking at it at the task level of I don’t want to make calls, clean, paint, work kids, etc! Or you are saying I want to learn how to frame, etc. If you are not able to find a task or role that you like, then fine a cause or organization you believe in. You will still be doing grunt work but at least it’s grunt work for something that furthers a cause you are passionate about.

You often don’t get to do the roles you want unless you already have experience in the roles or can prove yourself, yes, even volunteering. Just so you know, even going overseas you will be doing grunt work. My nephew was digging ditches and carrying water for 8 hours a day in Central America.

So think about what you would like to do and things you are passionate in, and I am sure people can be more helpful.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it brothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
5213 posts
691 upvotes
Toronto
It's the conundrum of community involvement just for the resume.

Reminds me of the episode of the Simpsons where Lisa wants to help save widlife at "Baby Seal Beach" after an oil spill. When they get there, all the animals to help have been reserved for celebrities and they get put to work cleaning rocks, so they abandon that and drive home.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2016
1539 posts
414 upvotes
No Frills wrote:
Aug 6th, 2018 12:10 pm

Reminds me of the episode of the Simpsons where Lisa wants to help save widlife at "Baby Seal Beach" after an oil spill. When they get there, all the animals to help have been reserved for celebrities and they get put to work cleaning rocks, so they abandon that and drive home.
I remember that. As soon as they were done clearning off a rock, a wave came in and coated it with more oil, lol
Mar 13, 2018
615 posts
287 upvotes
Manatus wrote:
Aug 5th, 2018 7:39 pm
But at the same time, you could say that people don't value something unless they have to pay for it. What you say makes perfect sense in terms of a career, but I get where OP is coming from too, in that this isn't a career, what is there to 'work up to'? He's already offering the most valuable thing a person has (time) for free, so I don't think it's wrong to want to do something he wants to do at least a little bit, rather than being a gofer.
And also nothing wrong for charities to tell someone to go pound sand because they don't have the skills/experience for a task but want to do it simply because they're doing it for free
Feb 7, 2018
138 posts
46 upvotes
Toronto ON
M1K3Z0R wrote:
I'm starting to see why all these kids are going to 3rd world countries to build schools and such, it's rather depressing and just absurd.
This is a ridiculous statement. People go to other countries because they want. Also, check the churches for volunteering positions. They usually have need for people and not only for soups. Also by the way serving a meal to poor people is more than a noble thing to do. But it is you that can't see it.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
5101 posts
2434 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
It doesn't sound like you really want to volunteer, so why be fake just to get a job? The type of company that wants to see that on your resume probably isn't accompany you will enjoy working for.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 11, 2009
3989 posts
996 upvotes
Debtario
No Frills wrote:
Aug 6th, 2018 12:10 pm

LOL I was thinking of that same episode. Thing is I already do volunteer my time/skills here and there, but it's very informal and occasional, sometimes coworkers or friends of family, friends of friends, sometimes I get paid or rewarded with gifts. I feel it would not be appropriate to list that on a professional document as it is not a certifiable "cause", more along the lines of good Samaritan.
ginoisselling wrote:
Aug 10th, 2018 10:39 am
... Also by the way serving a meal to poor people is more than a noble thing to do. But it is you that can't see it.
Also by the way I never said anything about the nobility of meal serving. But it is you that can't read.
I'm just not interested, okay? Let's not and make inferences and put words in my mouth.
Chickinvic wrote:
Aug 11th, 2018 3:16 pm
It doesn't sound like you really want to volunteer, so why be fake just to get a job? The type of company that wants to see that on your resume probably isn't accompany you will enjoy working for.
TBH I'm really doing it for myself, to get out of my comfort zone, learn something, meet new people, and add to my resume in the process. It sounds like a great way to do some or all of those things without any firm up-front commitment, in that it's not a career path and I can leave if it's not for me or if it gets in the way of work/family. I suppose that's where the problem would lie, it feels as if most organizations expect free labourers with utmost dedication and not the on the side gig I am thinking of.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Dec 26, 2005
121 posts
7 upvotes
How about volunteering at a animal shelter where you can actually see and feel the appreciation.
Aug 3, 2017
51 posts
15 upvotes
Shepherd214 wrote:
Aug 12th, 2018 1:12 pm
How about volunteering at a animal shelter where you can actually see and feel the appreciation.
Rotary club? Do tax returns for seniors?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)