Off Topic

Commuting from High River to Calgary?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 8th, 2019 10:09 pm
[OP]
Feb 25, 2017
12 posts

Commuting from High River to Calgary?

We are possibly moving from the Kitchener area to High River. We would be working in Calgary. One of us possibly downtown and one of us in the more industrial part. Can someone please comment on the real world commutes in the morning and also at 5? What are the issues and realistic driving times? I have checked google maps for distances, times,etc and read a few old reddit and redflag posts but would like some fresh perspectives. Does anyone out there come from Ontario? Is it the equivalent of living in Milton and working in Toronto? Is commuting from High River daily something that is seen as really far or just another commuting town?
40 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2010
2258 posts
276 upvotes
DiamondSeeker wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2019 4:51 pm
We are possibly moving from the Kitchener area to High River. We would be working in Calgary. One of us possibly downtown and one of us in the more industrial part. Can someone please comment on the real world commutes in the morning and also at 5? What are the issues and realistic driving times? I have checked google maps for distances, times,etc and read a few old reddit and redflag posts but would like some fresh perspectives. Does anyone out there come from Ontario? Is it the equivalent of living in Milton and working in Toronto? Is commuting from High River daily something that is seen as really far or just another commuting town?
That is a bloody long commute...

Morning commute from south Calgary is about 40 to an hour, so adding the time from High river to that...yikes.

Plus, the highway can get bad in the winter, and once in a while you get strong winds down there (120 - 150kph).

Why so far south? Even Okotoks is a better option. Or anywhere in the newer south Calgary neighborhoods.

The afternoon commute is pretty much identical, though deerfoot often has an accident or two southbound so it can get long...

By "industrial", I assume you mean the SE? Little easier commute there than the downtown.
Jun 14, 2016
179 posts
50 upvotes
Calgary
As others have said it will be a long commute, especially if road conditions are not favorable or an accident has occurred. A coworker lives in Okotoks, she drives into downtown, takes her 45-60 minutes.

If you want that living outside of Calgary but still able to access all that Calgary has to offer feeling. Look at Okotoks, Airdrie, Cochrane (maybe) or Chestermere.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2006
2272 posts
582 upvotes
Calgary
Problem isn't the weather or roads. Calgary has the worst drivers i've ever seen (from toronto myself). Prepare yourself for the following:

1) Watch out for cars merging, they will stop at a complete stand still. If you're merging, watch out for car in front of you as they will stop.
2) #birdboxchallenge lane switchers.
3) Cars making right turns coming out of no where while it's green for you to go straight.
4) You'll see 3-5 car pile up collisions at least once week. This one boggles my mind as there's little to no traffic. Literally no cars but you see 3+ cars collided.

I visited Calgary for a month before deciding to move here. Within that month, these were common occurrences. When I finally moved, I upgraded my car insurance to include no depreciation loss in value. 3 months later, my car was written off.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2010
5889 posts
2601 upvotes
^ What a load...

Maybe if you wrote your car off three months after you moved there, it says more about your driving than you care to admit.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 17, 2008
9084 posts
2103 upvotes
AB drivers are horrible, that's true. I was getting so pissed with so many left laners going in parallel with the right lane at the same speed. So many stupids.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
21035 posts
7030 upvotes
dnyc wrote:
Jan 27th, 2019 5:01 am
Calgary has the worst drivers i've ever seen (from toronto myself).
Richmond, BC would like to have a word.

I actually like driving in Calgary.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2010
2258 posts
276 upvotes
death_hawk wrote:
Jan 29th, 2019 7:20 pm
Richmond, BC would like to have a word.

I actually like driving in Calgary.
I don't mind it here. People tailgate a lot, but they generally know roundabouts and merges pretty well.

Most people generally stay out of the fast lane unless they are doing 140kph, and yes you find slowpokes doing 10 under in the slow lane often enough too.

Not the worst ever.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 17, 2008
9084 posts
2103 upvotes
LeisureSuitL wrote:
Jan 29th, 2019 10:04 pm
I don't mind it here. People tailgate a lot, but they generally know roundabouts and merges pretty well.

Most people generally stay out of the fast lane unless they are doing 140kph, and yes you find slowpokes doing 10 under in the slow lane often enough too.

Not the worst ever.
Are you talking about Alberta? I haven't done Calgary proper much but Calgary to Banff have the WORST left lane hoggers ever. Despicable
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2010
2258 posts
276 upvotes
Messerschmitt wrote:
Jan 30th, 2019 12:47 am
Are you talking about Alberta? I haven't done Calgary proper much but Calgary to Banff have the WORST left lane hoggers ever. Despicable
Sorry, yeah, I was talking about Calgary.

I don't find it very bad...maybe I'm used to it a certain way and other regions are better at left lane etiquette though.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2010
5889 posts
2601 upvotes
Messerschmitt wrote:
Jan 30th, 2019 12:47 am
You realize that's the Trans Canada highway, right? And that people travel on that highway from all over the world? That hardly reflects on drivers in either Calgary or Alberta.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 17, 2008
9084 posts
2103 upvotes
Conquistador wrote:
Jan 30th, 2019 10:37 am
You realize that's the Trans Canada highway, right? And that people travel on that highway from all over the world? That hardly reflects on drivers in either Calgary or Alberta.
You realize 90% of them have AB plates, and all the idiots I've came across driving several times in the past years have had AB plates. I stand by my words when it comes to Hwy etiquette in AB.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2015
4107 posts
27303 upvotes
Messerschmitt wrote:
Jan 30th, 2019 6:44 pm
You realize 90% of them have AB plates, and all the idiots I've came across driving several times in the past years have had AB plates. I stand by my words when it comes to Hwy etiquette in AB.
Rental vehicles would have Alberta license plates and most likely be driven by people outside the province.