• Last Updated:
  • Feb 8th, 2019 10:09 pm
Deal Fanatic
Jul 17, 2008
9084 posts
2103 upvotes
BK2006 wrote:
Jan 30th, 2019 7:23 pm
Rental vehicles would have Alberta license plates and most likely be driven by people outside the province.
Occam's razor
Dec 19, 2015
592 posts
298 upvotes
Calgary, AB
BK2006 wrote:
Jan 30th, 2019 7:23 pm
Rental vehicles would have Alberta license plates and most likely be driven by people outside the province.
They’re pretty easy to see though.

That said I’ve seen the occasional left lane hog but it not bad at all IMO. Drivers in and around Calgary are extremely relaxed and passive/non aggressive drivers, everything goes a bit slower than elsewhere it seems. Good and bad I guess depending on what it is!

It’s one of the easiest, least dangerous place I’ve driven that’s for sure.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2007
5382 posts
636 upvotes
Calgary
Andy34 wrote:
Jan 31st, 2019 9:26 pm
That said I’ve seen the occasional left lane hog but it not bad at all IMO. Drivers in and around Calgary are extremely relaxed and passive/non aggressive drivers, everything goes a bit slower than elsewhere it seems. Good and bad I guess depending on what it is!

It’s one of the easiest, least dangerous place I’ve driven that’s for sure.
The opposite of what he said. Calgarian drivers has a mixture of aggressive drivers, entitled drivers, slow drivers, fast drivers, most of them have very little situation awareness, it is a dangerous mix.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
1390 posts
491 upvotes
My old boss did this exact commute every single day into downtown, it's long, but double.
Conquistador wrote:
Jan 27th, 2019 11:07 am
^ What a load...

Maybe if you wrote your car off three months after you moved there, it says more about your driving than you care to admit.
As someone who has lived in Calgary for the last 22 years...i agree. I mean yes there are a ton of idiots on the road that's for sure, and for the most part I agree with the quoted statement, but the whole 3-5 car pile up and cars written off in 3 months is an exaggeration. I consider myself to be an aggressive drive and I curse on the daily at Calgary drivers (mostly driving slow as hell in any lane, driving with lights off at night, not using turn signals, and generally having their head so far up their ass that they have no idea that there are others around them)..but it's not like you will see an accident every single day (unless you are on Deerfoot, then maybe) and have to worry that your car will be written off every 3 months.
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2004
3031 posts
1796 upvotes
DiamondSeeker wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2019 4:51 pm
We are possibly moving from the Kitchener area to High River. We would be working in Calgary. One of us possibly downtown and one of us in the more industrial part. Can someone please comment on the real world commutes in the morning and also at 5? What are the issues and realistic driving times? I have checked google maps for distances, times,etc and read a few old reddit and redflag posts but would like some fresh perspectives. Does anyone out there come from Ontario? Is it the equivalent of living in Milton and working in Toronto? Is commuting from High River daily something that is seen as really far or just another commuting town?
With real estate at the lowest point in a decade in Calgary, why High River?

When you say industrial part, i would assume NE/SE. Commute for that would be ok because you may be able to split off a 22x to do the ring road that usually have less traffic.

For the downtown, it really depends if you are parking at downtown (average $20/day) or you are looking at doing park & ride and take the c-train. Driving to downtown would be 1hr on good days, 2hrs on bad. average would be somewhere between the 2. Driving to the closest train station would probably be 30min and then you need to stay on train about 45 to get to DT. But I believe the closest station parking spots are full by 6 or 6:30am and reservation are no longer allowed. So you better work early.

If I were you, I would look at Calgary properties before looking at High River. Or if you really want to live outside, Cochrane (West, 40 min to downtown) and Chestermere (East, 24min to downtwon) are probably better traffic wise. Airdrie (North, 26min to downtown) has more facilities and a bit closer to Calgary downtown as well, the only problem is Airdrie has the most population out of the 4 so traffic to Calgary is really bad on some days that it may take you up to 3hrs.

I don't know south that well but if you prefer south part of Calgary, beware of communities south of 22x, these are so far from the core that it will only buys you about 20mins or so of travel time compared to High River.
mucat wrote:
Feb 1st, 2019 10:41 am
The opposite of what he said. Calgarian drivers has a mixture of aggressive drivers, entitled drivers, slow drivers, fast drivers, most of them have very little situation awareness, it is a dangerous mix.
While I lived in Calgary all my life my take is:

1) Calgary drivers are the least situation aware. But tend to speeds the most. 20 over limit is norm.
2) Toronto drivers are a mixed bag.
3) Montreal drivers are aggressive as hell (being a somewhat aggressive driver, I love it and fit right in)
4) Vancouver drivers really sucks.

Regardless where, Asian driver stereotype is mostly true. Especially Asian females. 2 times I have seen cars missed exit, stop cold, reverse back to exit on a 80-100km/h highway. Both times, Asian females.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 17, 2008
9084 posts
2103 upvotes
Xtrema wrote:
Feb 1st, 2019 5:16 pm

1) Calgary drivers are the least situation aware. But tend to speeds the most. 20 over limit is norm.
3) Montreal drivers are aggressive as hell (being a somewhat aggressive driver, I love it and fit right in)

Regardless where, Asian driver stereotype is mostly true. Especially Asian females. 2 times I have seen cars missed exit, stop cold, reverse back to exit on a 80-100km/h highway. Both times, Asian females.
Because stereotypes are mostly true, otherwise they wouldn't exist. The political correctness police squad of course will give you hell for it. I've lived in Vancouver, and the most dangerous suburb to drive to was Richmond. I would always try my best to stay the farthest away from that place as possible because the last thing I wanted was to get my car wrecked. And what a surprise that the vast majority in Richmond are asians.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2007
5382 posts
636 upvotes
Calgary
Xtrema wrote:
Feb 1st, 2019 5:16 pm

What I don't understand it, some of the driver do 20 over in residential zone, then they will do 20 under on the highway. WTF, if you are going to speed, it should be the other way around.
Dec 19, 2015
592 posts
298 upvotes
Calgary, AB
mucat wrote:
Feb 1st, 2019 10:41 am
Guess it depends what you’re used to. Coming from Europe that’s my viewpoint. If you come from somewhere even more laid back then it may seem the opposite.

That’s not to say there aren’t some fast and aggressive drivers*, or some poor drivers. Of course there are, but the general level makes driving here so much easier and nicer than most other places I’ve driven. People actually let you in when when merging, the speed limit is actually obeyed by most drivers (residential areas at least), people aren’t rally driving round residential streets, for example. That’s not normal pretty much anywhere else’s I’ve been!

*probably in part me when I first got here. I had to slow right down after I realized I was being significantly more aggressive than most others on the road... Coming from a cautious European Driver... I’m not looking forward to driving back in the UK in future!
Apr 14, 2017
812 posts
378 upvotes
DT Calgary
dnyc wrote:
Jan 27th, 2019 5:01 am
Problem isn't the weather or roads. Calgary has the worst drivers i've ever seen (from toronto myself). Prepare yourself for the following:

1) Watch out for cars merging, they will stop at a complete stand still. If you're merging, watch out for car in front of you as they will stop.
2) #birdboxchallenge lane switchers.
3) Cars making right turns coming out of no where while it's green for you to go straight.
4) You'll see 3-5 car pile up collisions at least once week. This one boggles my mind as there's little to no traffic. Literally no cars but you see 3+ cars collided.

I visited Calgary for a month before deciding to move here. Within that month, these were common occurrences. When I finally moved, I upgraded my car insurance to include no depreciation loss in value. 3 months later, my car was written off.
Lol this post made laugh.
Apr 14, 2017
812 posts
378 upvotes
DT Calgary
OP there are beautiful places in and around Calgary for a fraction of Toronto's prices, and yet people make more here :rolleyes: . Get a place in Calgary.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2006
2272 posts
582 upvotes
Calgary
Conquistador wrote:
Jan 27th, 2019 11:07 am
^ What a load...

Maybe if you wrote your car off three months after you moved there, it says more about your driving than you care to admit.
right.. cause I was at a stand still waiting for a pedestrian to cross to make a right turn into the mall and got hit in the rear. Yup totally my fault.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2010
5889 posts
2601 upvotes
dnyc wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2019 5:21 am
right.. cause I was at a stand still waiting for a pedestrian to cross to make a right turn into the mall and got hit in the rear. Yup totally my fault.
Your isolated anecdote doesn't translate to the sweeping generalization that you made about the entire population of Calgary drivers.

I've lived in Calgary for twenty years and have never written off a vehicle. Based on that, using your logic, Calgary has the best drivers in the world! :eek:
Deal Guru
Apr 4, 2001
11171 posts
427 upvotes
mucat wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2019 12:12 am
What I don't understand it, some of the driver do 20 over in residential zone, then they will do 20 under on the highway. WTF, if you are going to speed, it should be the other way around.
Maybe they are just going the same speed on every road regardless of speed limit :)
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2007
5382 posts
636 upvotes
Calgary
Andy34 wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2019 12:27 am
Guess it depends what you’re used to. Coming from Europe that’s my viewpoint. If you come from somewhere even more laid back then it may seem the opposite.

That’s not to say there aren’t some fast and aggressive drivers*, or some poor drivers. Of course there are, but the general level makes driving here so much easier and nicer than most other places I’ve driven. People actually let you in when when merging, the speed limit is actually obeyed by most drivers (residential areas at least), people aren’t rally driving round residential streets, for example. That’s not normal pretty much anywhere else’s I’ve been!

*probably in part me when I first got here. I had to slow right down after I realized I was being significantly more aggressive than most others on the road... Coming from a cautious European Driver... I’m not looking forward to driving back in the UK in future!
It has nothing to do with what I used to. I never said it is difficult to drive in Calgary. I was pointing out behavior of drivers. Residential area speeding is really bad in lots of places. There are a lot more dangerous driving than just "rally driving round residential streets", for example, speeding, speeding in playground zone, not watch for pedestrians, speed up to try to beat pedestrians, the illegal U-turn, illegal parking around pedestrian crossing, etc. Those happens everyday everywhere in Calgary. There were just news early about parent drivers do all sort of dangerous things with their vehicle around pick/drop off time, and that has been going on for years. BTW, people are suppose to let you in when merging (when you do it properly), it has nothing to do with nice.

Most calgarian driver do not like being cut in front. Another thing, we can guess the behavior of drivers most of the time just be the vehicle they drive.

Comparing to Edmonton, Calgary drivers are way more aggressive.