• Feb 8th, 2019 10:09 pm
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2007
5408 posts
642 upvotes
Calgary
mbg wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2019 10:52 am
Maybe they are just going the same speed on every road regardless of speed limit :)
Yes, I have the same theory about those drivers :)
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
4328 posts
1790 upvotes
Mississauga
True RFD'er goes the same speed regardless because it's more efficient for the engine. :)
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2006
2381 posts
644 upvotes
Calgary
Conquistador wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2019 8:15 am
Your isolated anecdote doesn't translate to the sweeping generalization that you made about the entire population of Calgary drivers.

I've lived in Calgary for twenty years and have never written off a vehicle. Based on that, using your logic, Calgary has the best drivers in the world! :eek:
say whatever you want. general consensus on this thread agrees.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2010
5909 posts
2635 upvotes
dnyc wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2019 11:56 pm
say whatever you want. general consensus on this thread agrees.
Actually, the "general consensus" is opposite of your opinion. Twice as many people disagree as agree with you. :lol:

Agreed with you (3) - Messerschmitt, mucat, liquidpill

Don't agree with you (6) - Me, LeisureSuitL, death_hawk, Andy34, eblend, Xtrema
Dec 19, 2015
593 posts
299 upvotes
Calgary, AB
mucat wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2019 1:23 pm
It has nothing to do with what I used to. I never said it is difficult to drive in Calgary. I was pointing out behavior of drivers. Residential area speeding is really bad in lots of places. There are a lot more dangerous driving than just "rally driving round residential streets", for example, speeding, speeding in playground zone, not watch for pedestrians, speed up to try to beat pedestrians, the illegal U-turn, illegal parking around pedestrian crossing, etc. Those happens everyday everywhere in Calgary. There were just news early about parent drivers do all sort of dangerous things with their vehicle around pick/drop off time, and that has been going on for years. BTW, people are suppose to let you in when merging (when you do it properly), it has nothing to do with nice.

Most calgarian driver do not like being cut in front. Another thing, we can guess the behavior of drivers most of the time just be the vehicle they drive.

Comparing to Edmonton, Calgary drivers are way more aggressive.
Sure, that’s a relatively normal list of complaints and they happen everywhere, around the world. The point I’m making is I personally don’t see that particularly often, at least in the SW where I do most of my residential driving (and pedestrianing). Certainly none of it is standout as being particularly worse than any other place I’ve been (outside of small rural towns perhaps), and in fact I find people far more courteous than in many other places.

And sure, they’re supposed to allow merging, just as in many other places. Supposed to be and actually doing are two different things, as you’ll find out in many other locations.

None of that means Calgary drivers are perfect, they’re just not as bad as most places I’ve driven/lived.

The thing that really makes me smile about all this is the idea that any of this is unique to Calgary, or in fact to Canada. Go on any motoring oriented forum in the world and you’ll find people bitching about fast lane hogs, drivers that speed/drive too slowly/dont change speeds, reckless driving, poor parking, in observant, etc etc.

The stereotypes are the same too. The BMW/Audi driver being a ****/tailgating, the van/pickup man being agressive, the small Japanese car driver driving too slow.

The same the world over. Everyone likes to complain and the grass is always greener. ;)
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2007
5408 posts
642 upvotes
Calgary
Andy34 wrote:
Feb 4th, 2019 8:51 pm
Sure, that’s a relatively normal list of complaints and they happen everywhere, around the world. The point I’m making is I personally don’t see that particularly often, at least in the SW where I do most of my residential driving (and pedestrianing). Certainly none of it is standout as being particularly worse than any other place I’ve been (outside of small rural towns perhaps), and in fact I find people far more courteous than in many other places.
SW has lots of upper middle neighborhoods, plus quite a bit of asian population. Entitled and clueless drivers everywhere. Oh, I drive to Signal Hill regularly, I see them all the time.
Andy34 wrote:
And sure, they’re supposed to allow merging, just as in many other places. Supposed to be and actually doing are two different things, as you’ll find out in many other locations.
There are clueless drivers stopped at merge and then there are aggressive drivers that will step up to force their way in or block the space.
Andy34 wrote:
The thing that really makes me smile about all this is the idea that any of this is unique to Calgary, or in fact to Canada. Go on any motoring oriented forum in the world and you’ll find people bitching about fast lane hogs, drivers that speed/drive too slowly/dont change speeds, reckless driving, poor parking, in observant, etc etc.
But Calgary has an unique cowboy mentality that's different from other cities. There were once I was driving somewhere in Alberta, saw a aggressive BMW SUV coming, I was thinking.....calgarian driver. Once the BMW passed my van, of course, it is a Calgary license plate.
Andy34 wrote:
The stereotypes are the same too. The BMW/Audi driver being a ****/tailgating, the van/pickup man being agressive, the small Japanese car driver driving too slow.
The problem is, we have lots of trucks, also lots of BMW and Audi drivers because of oil and gas money, and don't forget the corolla.

I think you need to observe more. Calgarian drivers are predictably bad. For example, I saw an Audi SUV in downtown, I was think "d...bag driver". The next monet, he parked right in handicap slot, out come him in suit and his wife (I assume) in high heels, I can't even make this sh*t up, it was that crazy. And I had asian SUV drivers cut into (no, not in front) my space twice. Another time, a BMW driver tried to cut in front of the line by change to lane about to be closed, and when he couldn't cut back in, he horn and finger. I can probably go on and on.
Edmonton drivers have better manner and Saskatchewan drivers go slower (maybe too slow...).

Don't know what to say, You are in the minority in term of other drivers I've talked to. If you don't see any of those, I wonder what kind of driver you are.....
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2010
5909 posts
2635 upvotes
mucat wrote:
Feb 5th, 2019 2:17 am
But Calgary has an unique cowboy mentality that's different from other cities. There were once I was driving somewhere in Alberta, saw a aggressive BMW SUV coming, I was thinking.....calgarian driver. Once the BMW passed my van, of course, it is a Calgary license plate.
You lose whatever credibility you think you had when you just make stuff up. There is no such thing as a "Calgary license plate". And before you come back and tell us that they have a license plate holder from a Calgary car dealership, buying a car in Calgary doesn't make you a Calgarian.

As @Andy34 said, none of what you have described, not a single thing, is something that you don't see every place in the world where there is vehicle traffic.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2007
5408 posts
642 upvotes
Calgary
Conquistador wrote:
Feb 5th, 2019 12:23 pm
You lose whatever credibility you think you had when you just make stuff up. There is no such thing as a "Calgary license plate". And before you come back and tell us that they have a license plate holder from a Calgary car dealership, buying a car in Calgary doesn't make you a Calgarian.

As @Andy34 said, none of what you have described, not a single thing, is something that you don't see every place in the world where there is vehicle traffic.
I should be more clear, it is something like these
https://www.google.ca/search?q=calgary+ ... 8&bih=1011
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2010
2460 posts
280 upvotes
Conquistador wrote:
Feb 5th, 2019 12:23 pm

+1

Winnipeg drivers speed up when you want to merge/change lanes so they don't have to let you in ahead of them. They also suck terribly at merging, and roundabouts are completely foreign. Big trucks don't yield down small streets (even when they are supposed to, based on what direction they are traveling and where the parking lane is), and small sports cars are *******, especially in the Tuxedo district.

Vancouver drivers are reckless with un-signalled (sp?) lane changes and tailgating too, and people in very expensive SUVs (Range Rovers and up) are stupendously convinced that "all roads are belong to me".

Basically, there are terrible drivers everywhere. There is no such thing as "Cowboy mentality"; that's just Central Canada's moniker used to insult Albertans/Calgarians.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2008
3519 posts
257 upvotes
Adelaide
mucat wrote:
Feb 5th, 2019 1:39 pm
I should be more clear, it is something like these
https://www.google.ca/search?q=calgary+ ... 8&bih=1011
lol they had a novelty licence plate on their car? Too good.

I also think its weird people claiming Calgary drivers are the worst, granted I haven't lived there in 10+ years. Despite all these fun anecdotes people are putting up of how bad it is, stats and studies don't seem to agree with them

Looking at collisions in ON, AB, NB, NS Calgary does better than Toronto, Ottawa, Halifax,
https://www.allstate.ca/webpages/docs/c ... -final.pdf

A study that goes into lots of different variables to determine "best and worst places to drive" has Calgary ahead of all other Canadian Cities in the list (Ottawa, Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver)
https://www.kfzteile24.de/best-and-wors ... -drive-usd

Shitty drivers everywhere, don't see that much of a difference myself across the country.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
4328 posts
1790 upvotes
Mississauga
Just got back from a business trip in Calgary and the drivers there were a breath of fresh air compared to the reckless lunatics in the GTA.