olympus e-P1

what do ya think? :D
6 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2006
1877 posts
122 upvotes
Hard to say.

m4/3 has better lens support compared to the new sony NEX or Samsung NX systems. However, you can get adaptor for sony to use alpha mount but I think auto focus doesn't work which really makes it a "what's the point" sort of item.

The sony NEX has a full APS-C sensor which should provide better low light and image quality. And in initial testing it kicks the Panasonic G serie's butt in that department.

I'd wait for a full NEX review before I decide on which to buy, if I was in the market for one of these.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
18961 posts
2259 upvotes
Niagara Falls
I'm just about to buy a mft camera. The reason I ignore what Sony has to offer is because

I believe mft will be around longer.
I believe mft will have more lense selection
An all touch or majority touch screen camera sounds like a horrible idea outside
Deal Addict
Feb 27, 2005
2003 posts
201 upvotes
I vote for the olympus e-PL1 or the Panasonic GF1 since they have built in flashes. Even a small on board flash is needed in some scenarios and it is more convenient for spur of the moment shots. I don't want to carry another bulky hotshoe flash which defeats the entire small form factor.
Audio & HT Enthusiast :cheesygri
Bose Secrets: Click HERE! :o
Zoom-Zoom! (MX-5 FTW!) :D
Canon Rebel XSI pics!

Canon 40D pics!
I started using the Mr. Sparkle avatar first! Others stole it from me. :lol:
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
7958 posts
1045 upvotes
Not to be nitpicky but none of those are DSLRs, which stands for Digital Single-Lens Reflex and are characterized by a mirror and pentaprism/mirror... m43, EVIL, NEX etc. do not have mirrors or pentaprisms/mirrors so they don't actually qualify as DSLRs.

Sorry, just seen too many people calling these cameras DSLRs lately.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
18961 posts
2259 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Winkle wrote:
May 20th, 2010 8:26 am
Not to be nitpicky but none of those are DSLRs, which stands for Digital Single-Lens Reflex and are characterized by a mirror and pentaprism/mirror... m43, EVIL, NEX etc. do not have mirrors or pentaprisms/mirrors so they don't actually qualify as DSLRs.

Sorry, just seen too many people calling these cameras DSLRs lately.
It probably has something to do with pretty much any site that sells them has them in their SLR section
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
7958 posts
1045 upvotes
Evil Baby wrote:
May 20th, 2010 8:38 am
It probably has something to do with pretty much any site that sells them has them in their SLR section
Yeah, price-wise they are similiar plus its still a fairly small market and pretty new.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)