• Last Updated:
  • Sep 18th, 2018 2:47 pm
[OP]
Jul 31, 2015
6 posts
East York, ON

Company: Ontario Consumers Home Services - SCAM

Hello all,

I registered on redflagdeals to let everyone with a house (not applicable to condos/apartments) to be wary and avoid any personnel from Ontario Consumers like the plague; do not even answer the door; they will knock approximately two times before leaving.

In the past, I was a student looking for a part-time job in the summer and stumbled upon their job offer on kijiji.ca. Granted, it's a ghetto site for job-searching, but I was naive.

Point of the matter is that during my field test, where they took me on board their sketchy mini-van with a bunch of other aspiring Jordan Belforts, I was forced to listen to motivational soundtracks for an entire trip from Toronto, all the way to and from Barrie. I literally thought I was getting kidnapped, as they didn't tell me about this until half-way. They took me to a rich white neighbourhood and began to load off their squad members to cover different sections of the neighbourhood. Here is one of the things they taught me on the job:

"Why are you guys dressed like that with hammers, flashlight and measuring tape on your belts?"
"To look the part, you gotta be convincing, bro"

That's right. Those "technicians" with the binder filled with all those organizations for HVAC, water tanks, and other appliances are all BS, as well as their experience with fixing and evaluating the quality of your appliances downstairs. The only truth they all hold is their name tag, hung around their neck, as if it were to be Government-issued...goodness. They will stand to the side of your doors to prevent themselves from appearing invasive. They will knock on your door two times before leaving to go to the next door. They are all trained to take "no" as an opportunity to continue convincing you that something is indeed wrong. DO NOT say, "my husband/wife who is charge is not at home," they will DEFINITELY come back and knock again. If you can't handle blatantly ignoring these fools, then say, "I don't own this house," and they will be gone faster than their cheap-ass littered with McDonald's garbage mini-van. They will, I emphasize, will SAY anything to convince you to let them in and once they check your appliances, will have a minimum of one faulty/negative comment to state.

Ontario Consumers is not a government-related organization. It is privately owned, despite their clever pick on the name. They rely on hiring naive students to sell their OVERPRICED services to naive people. I'm glad that for most of the doors we went door-to-door to, the residents quickly declined. For others, I wished I had slipped a note saying, "Don't sign the dotted line! He's lying to you!"

Safe wishes to all.
37 replies
Aug 12, 2015
2 posts
Toronto, ON
Dear Elderberra,

Thanks so much for being a such honest and elegant young man. I wish I saw your posting earlier or I could turn back the clock and slam the door in front of those salesperson from OCHS who claimed that they were representing Enbridge.... Unfortunately I couldn't and I have to spend my tremendous time dealing with company and their staff who are willing to sell their soul to grab money from innocent people. We were tricked to sign contracts for both AC and furnace, and were also threatened to buy out the equipment with over $9000 for each, otherwise we will got sued... such a joke, scammers want to sue us...

I've contacted Consumer Protection Program, and I have been told that I'm not the first one and won't be the last victim. I tried to negotiate with OCHS to have a reasonable price but they refused to do so. Initially I was not thinking of taking legal action as I don't want to waste too much time plus I still believe in humanity that the company still has someone who is ethical and moral. But I'm totally wrong. They are wolves and monsters, cold and mean.

If anyone who has similar situation like me, please feel free to contact me at lydia8024@gmail.com, I'm planning to open a small case, if we work together, maybe we get even higher chance to win the case.

Again, thank you so much young man for standing up and warning all the new home buyers, thumb up! It's a big and painful lesson for us to learn, but I'll do whatever I could to protect myself and also try to avoid potential more victims.
[OP]
Jul 31, 2015
6 posts
East York, ON
Hello Lydia8024,

I apologize for the lack/delay of response, as my only intention on redflagdeals' forums was to inform everyone about this unethical company. First and foremost, I want to thank you for your compliment; I felt uneasy going through their field test and felt a true sickening feeling from such unethical acts. More importantly though, I can emphasize well with your unfortunate current situation, but I can assure you that justice will prevail as long as this company's unethical acts gets exposed to more communities in Ontario.

Despite signing a contract, I believe there may be a leeway if you could prove that you were given false information prior to signing by OCHS. In other words, you were not under a reasonable state (proven that you made your due diligence) to sign such contract, which is would be very easy to prove. For instance, during questioning in court, I'd doubt any representative from their company understands the complex nature and deductive reasoning involved in plumbing, ACs, furnaces, and so fourth, therefore proving their inability to provide such service, as well as aiding in you and the class action participants' case.

To end on a good note, it would greatly be appreciated if everyone were to spread the awareness about this company to your neighbours, and ensure that your community is safe and stress-free from such company. Please contact lydia8024@gmail.com, as stated by the poster, to aid in opening class action lawsuit. A quick reminder, a class action lawsuit by definition: "The procedure for filing a class action is to file suit with one or several named plaintiffs on behalf of a proposed class. The proposed class must consist of a group of individuals or business entities that have suffered a common injury or injuries" (Wikipedia). There is strength in numbers; let's bring this bad wolf down! Spread the awareness, and eventually, a class action lawsuit WILL be imposed upon Ontario Consumers Home Service
Aug 12, 2015
2 posts
Toronto, ON
Dear Elderberra,

Sorry I've been busy recently and haven't checked your posting for awhile. Thanks so much for your advice and suggestions, it's been very helpful to me to negotiate with the company, after several months' fight, eventually I got settled with them with a much more reasonable price. Since they stepped back a lot, I decided not to take further actions to waste my time and energy. Your poster and message gave me remarkable confidence to deal with them and I just want to let other victims knowing that don't be scared, protect your own right.

Again thanks so much you brave young man, big hugs!
Aug 12, 2012
10 posts
10 upvotes
MARKHAM
They are the worst! They come to our house every couple of months. Some claim they are sent on behalf of Enbridge and that you have an appointment scheduled, or they just need to check your gas appliances. They are very persistent and keep coming back to our neighbourhood every few months.
Jan 31, 2011
1 posts
Thank you so much for your posts. They came to my door with the same high pressure sales job you described. I did not sign anything as I wanted to check them out to see if this was legitimate. Thanks to your posts, I will definitely not sign anything. I am sorry that you had to go through such misery.
Oct 5, 2015
1 posts
Stouffville, ON
We have almost same story as Lydia, but we installed a carbon filter. The salesperson said all fees were included in our Direct Energy bills, total was $49.99+tax. We received bill today and shows additional $49.99+tax. We realize that it was scam. Actually, we had already installed water softener before this, but we thought it could make water more healthy, so we installed. OCHS, please tell me how much the equipment worth. You charge us 49.99+tax/ month rental fee, and 120 month is $6778.64. Crazy! Black heart!
Oct 22, 2015
5 posts
Mississauga, Ontario
Thanks to dzhoujzhang I feel relieved for kicking the rep from "Ontario Consumers Home Services" out of my house. He gave me his spiel & asked to come in. I, very reluctantly, said ok. I followed him downstairs to the furnace room where he asked me questions about water pressure, chlorine smell/taste in water, any spikes in water temps, etc. He then "noticed" I never had a "carbon filter" attached to my water heater and acted all surprised. Apparently it was supposed to be installed when they changed my water heater (which was 09). He kept saying things about regulations and qualifications. Meanwhile I'm googling the company on my phone & found this post but I let it play out to see what else he had to say. Started asking me about my Enbridge bill (i lied & said the in-laws pay it so I didn't have it on me), so he went out to get my meter number to which he can then look up "in the system" to see that I've been overpaying since 09. He pulled some numbers out of nowhere & said he would be saving us $50/month to which he then pulled out his invoice book to start taking my info down & I told him his company was a scam & that I wasn't giving him any of my info. Tried to repeat everything about saving me money & that I need the filter & I told him I'll look up more info on this carbon filter that you're telling me I need & if I do in fact need it, I'll give YOU a call. He wasn't very happy(obviously). As he was leaving he goes "when your water heater bursts (due to sediment) & floods your basement, make sure you get the carbon filter installed". lol.
Oct 26, 2015
1 posts
York, ON
I have the same story as Lydia. The salesperson said that I qualified for a free furnace and for the ac unit is only $30 for 120 months. It's a lie now I am stuck and have to pay 79.99 for each unit. Anybody out there wants to join to file a lawsuit against this business please let me know
Nov 18, 2015
1 posts
pjprotect wrote:
Oct 28th, 2015 10:24 pm
I have the same story as Lydia. The salesperson said that I qualified for a free furnace and for the ac unit is only $30 for 120 months. It's a lie now I am stuck and have to pay 79.99 for each unit. Anybody out there wants to join to file a lawsuit against this business please let me know
Google. Door-to-door sales and home service contracts You will find useful info there.
[OP]
Jul 31, 2015
6 posts
East York, ON
jsimms52 wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2015 4:40 pm
Thanks to dzhoujzhang I feel relieved for kicking the rep from "Ontario Consumers Home Services" out of my house. He gave me his spiel & asked to come in. I, very reluctantly, said ok. I followed him downstairs to the furnace room where he asked me questions about water pressure, chlorine smell/taste in water, any spikes in water temps, etc. He then "noticed" I never had a "carbon filter" attached to my water heater and acted all surprised. Apparently it was supposed to be installed when they changed my water heater (which was 09). He kept saying things about regulations and qualifications. Meanwhile I'm googling the company on my phone & found this post but I let it play out to see what else he had to say. Started asking me about my Enbridge bill (i lied & said the in-laws pay it so I didn't have it on me), so he went out to get my meter number to which he can then look up "in the system" to see that I've been overpaying since 09. He pulled some numbers out of nowhere & said he would be saving us $50/month to which he then pulled out his invoice book to start taking my info down & I told him his company was a scam & that I wasn't giving him any of my info. Tried to repeat everything about saving me money & that I need the filter & I told him I'll look up more info on this carbon filter that you're telling me I need & if I do in fact need it, I'll give YOU a call. He wasn't very happy(obviously). As he was leaving he goes "when your water heater bursts (due to sediment) & floods your basement, make sure you get the carbon filter installed". lol.
Despite being a stranger, I am so glad and genuinely relieved to hear that you managed to successfully avoid a scummy contract. In regards to your experience with that particular personnel, I remember vividly how the company sat all the prospective job candidates in a room for a lame presentation with a simple white board and markers; apparently power-points are too professional for them. They really emphasized on being charismatic and pretending to be as knowledgeable as you could be when in doubt. Thus, when that guy was "reading" the numbers on your meter, he was just staging and creating the impression that he was doing something that involved superior knowledge, but reality is: He didn't do jack *****.

As I've mentioned, that binder they carry is full of false information and is merely a prop for them to stage the whole extravaganza of being a "qualified" technician. Conveniently, they have a page that compares the rates between all the different competing companies to theirs haha! :) Good thing that lad is strictly on commission, because professionalism goes a long way if he was in the real business of representing Enbridge, or any other legitimate company.
[OP]
Jul 31, 2015
6 posts
East York, ON
Here's an additional source of anecdotal evidence, containing the similar experiences from other job applicants of this revolting company: http://ca.indeed.com/cmp/Ontario-Consum ... CA&sort=en

And CTV News: http://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/tougher-rules- ... -1.2306269
If you are reading this on your phone, tablet, or on a computer, and any personnel from Ontario Consumers is in your home right now -- kick them out immediately. Like, right now.
Feb 27, 2014
4 posts
Hello Elderra,

I know this is an older thread but I hope you still get this.

We purchased a home that is 2 years into its 10 year contract with Ontario Consumer Home Services. I want to get out of this contract but I needed to sign an agreement saying we'd take over the lease for the furnace and water heater before we could close on the finances! This was brought to our attention with 24 hours notice of our financial deadline. There was little for us to do, our lawyer said nothing could be done to stop the contract otherwise we'd lose the house. Any tips on getting out of this contract?

Also, are the annual check ups required? Honestly, I don't want them coming into our house and messing with anything.

Thank you
Oct 12, 2017
2 posts
everyone I have share my experience

Somebody came my house . they said we are come from peel mounitipality. I think gas leaking. it's denger. you have kids. he is say he wont to check. I was squat. because i had 5 days baby and 2 more kids. I looked the id from peel mounitipality. I say ok. Then he check the furnace room. he say we have to change the pip. he said somebody come they will fix.

They came. they did work in the basement. Then they change the a.c. I say don't change. he said if not change I will shutdown everything. I was asked him. how much charge. he showed my enbridge bill you paid every month (bbq installment) you don't need to pay .

after 1 month enbridge bill came. $230 extra amount. I called them. They say you bought a.c ,furnace $24000. I don't know which company,

They said that is ONTARIO HOME SERVICE.

I CALL THEM I HAVE TO PAY THEM.BECAUSE I SIN IT. I THINK I HAVE TO GO GOURT. THEY SAID I CAN T WIN I SIN IT. THEN ASKED MONEY FROM MY FRIEND, Relative s. Then paid every thing.

i have to pay mortgage bills bank loans and this loans I HAVE TO much headek.

They did same every thing. I can t emagine now. we are buy home 1st time.