Scammers and Warnings

Company: Ontario Consumers Home Services - SCAM

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 17th, 2018 1:51 pm
Feb 6, 2018
1 posts
we had 6 months free and they started it day of signing and not when it was in. Plus there was so many things I should of seen, good thing is it will never happen to anyone I Know or should be told. here is a bit of the break down... bit of a shocker really.
$92 a month X 12 months= $1,104. yr X 10 yrs = $11,040 is what it will cost you for 1 unit and price goes up each year, so cost will be more in 10 year term. Now that is crazy that you can buy a car base model for same price, doesn't seem right to me!
Aug 16, 2013
402 posts
88 upvotes
Toronto
Asctre wrote:
Jul 19th, 2016 7:20 pm
Hello Elderra,

I know this is an older thread but I hope you still get this.

We purchased a home that is 2 years into its 10 year contract with Ontario Consumer Home Services. I want to get out of this contract but I needed to sign an agreement saying we'd take over the lease for the furnace and water heater before we could close on the finances! This was brought to our attention with 24 hours notice of our financial deadline. There was little for us to do, our lawyer said nothing could be done to stop the contract otherwise we'd lose the house. Any tips on getting out of this contract?

Also, are the annual check ups required? Honestly, I don't want them coming into our house and messing with anything.

Thank you
I was in the same situation. How to get out? I am billed on Enbridge Bill. Buying out Water Heater is like $3000 something. What happens once Rent to Own ends?
Oct 17, 2012
2 posts
I regret that I have also been scammed by this company, I was actually scammed by 2 companies, Nationwide home Comfort and OHS but I had no idea they were separate companies until it was too late. I got a call from Nationwide that they are the warranty company for my furnace, they checked the furnace and recommended I get a Hepa filter, they said it wouldn't cost me and the charges would be waived, but when i checked my Enbridge gas bill i am being charged $70 for this!

OHS called me a few weeks later, I assumed it was same company and they were coming to check my furnace and hepa filter. They told me they had taken over the contract and nationwide didn't exist. They said I would benefit from a water and air filter, they said I would not be charged and due to government rebates, I would get $2000 back.

I should have seen warning signs but since I am in a lot of debt, the $2000 would have really helped. Now I am stuck with 2 contracts, 1 for $70 and another for $109. I hate both companies and wish I have never signed up with them. I complained to BBB, consumer rights, and other companies. All OHS would do is say they will look at giving me a discount to buyout the equipment. In total it would cost be over $17K to get out of this dam contract which is money I don't have

I am trying to sell my house and getting a divorce and with 2 young kids, this is a nightmare to deal with. OHS and Nationwide I hope you both ROT IN HELL!!!
Feb 27, 2018
1 posts
My husband and I were the victims as well. Our first mistake was to get into rent/buy a new furnace from OCHS, then the ball started rolling.
We agreed to the furnace+water heater deal because our furnace was very old and very loud.
Next, 2 guys came in to sell us the water carbon filter and we will have to pay only $5, because Ontario Government will rebate $40 for using the water filter. We never received the rebate, because we did not qualify (2 people over $39,000 household income).
A month after the water filter was installed, another 2 guys came to "check our equipment that we purchased from OHCS" and found that we did not get the Air Purifier installed when we got the new furnace, so he will install it at no charge, and also that we are already paying for Carbon filter + water softener and we did not get the softener installed, so he will send somebody to install it, of course at no charge. When the next Enbridge bill came, we got charged for Air Purifier and water softener that was not even installed. We called OCHS, but they said we had 10 days to cancel and we did not, so we have to pay. We did not cancel because our bill came after 10 days passed.
In November the final scam, 2 guys come to "check that our equipment is working properly" and, of course, again, we were paying for something "that was not installed", this time it was the already mentioned water softener and AC. They told us that if we don't install the water softener our "water heater warranty will be void", and we will be charged only $7 more than what we are paying now. Also our furnace was installed based on a plan Furnace+AC for $79.99 per month, but because we did not want to replace AC, we got charged $72.99. This new guy said that we should put the new AC and he will cancel the first contract for the furnace and we should sign the new one for AC that will include both. He called somebody and gave our agreements numbers requesting them to be cancelled and the new agreements to be activated. We signed, then somebody called to confirm the new price and we were supposed to get another call within 10 days to do the final confirmation. The second call never came, but to our big surprise, we got charged a new amount for AC, the old amount for the furnace, a new amount for the water softener, the old amount for the water filter also named the water softener, twice the Air Cleaner and all that for 10 years. We called OCHS and all they are saying is that they are not responsible for what all those guys were telling us, they are the contractors, and we confirmed the price (and of course they recorded it). How could we know that the cancellation of the previous contracts were also a scam. On top of everything, the guy that convinced us to install AC, told us that we will get $400 rebate from Ontarion Gov., because OCHS is collecting it anyway but sends the cheque only to those who ask for it.

We don't know what to do now, other than trying to buy off the equipment and break all connections to OCHS. They said that our warranty and the maintenance is free as long as we are paying the rent, but that is BS as well. No repair will cost us as much as we are now paying.
Any advice will be very much appreciated
Apr 1, 2018
0 posts
We have been scammed as well by OCHS and we are working on getting together innocent consumers who have been scammed by OCHS to work together and fight against this cheating company.

send me a message or write an email to me at
Mar 5, 2008
16 posts
5 upvotes
If you signed the contract within 10 days, Consumer Protection Act (may varies by provinces) allows you to cancel the agreement no question asked. Else, you are in for a tough battle with the company unless you have any proof that the sales gave you false information. I canceled my agreement the day after the sale guy pressured me to sign the agreement. I spent the night the read all the fine prints (which the sales avoided to address any of my questions directly) and determine it was a scam, so I called Simply Green and cancelled the agreement citing the consumer protection act. It was a night I spent that I wished I did not have to, but saved me lots of money and trouble.

If you already passed the 10 day period, look at the company's BBB file online and you will see lots of disputes between the customers and Simply Green. Some had won the battle and got their money back but not all and they had gone through a lengthy process.
Apr 19, 2018
1 posts
I got scammed as well by this company called smart home. They have placed two profucts of nest...a thermostat and carbon monoxide detector...for which they said I need to pay $30+taxes/monthly....and they will send us $30 back by check every month until a year...coz they (company) gets more rebates and thus it would be almost free for me...and after a year you can cancel the contract and just be relaxed....they gave a call where need to confirm with this deal...they installed the products....until then I had no idea of it being fishy.... but when I read this contract carefully for its cancellation policy it turned out to be all together different....there as per calculation this thing is $30 for 120 months which turns out to be more than $3500 for these products which are barely $5000. I don’t know how to get rid of it....regretting opening door for these craps.
Jun 19, 2009
5 posts
8 upvotes
I randomly came across this video about OHS. I am sure it will be of help to you in terms of cancellation or pursuing legal action.

Youtube link
Apr 25, 2015
3 posts
Mississauga, ON
I just have the appointment with two guys. They took 15 minutes checked all my monitor then told me need 650 dollars to change all 3 monitors, when I mentioned about the free monitor , they said they can not install the free one except I paid the two others. Then they just go away. Never trust NEST again.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 30, 2003
7145 posts
514 upvotes
I just tell them I post pictures of people that come to my door online. Usually has them turn and run pretty fast.
My nick doesn't mean I'm happy any more than yours means you're a sex machine.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2015
1128 posts
436 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Happy13178 wrote:
Jul 13th, 2018 3:41 pm
I just tell them I post pictures of people that come to my door online. Usually has them turn and run pretty fast.
Even the pizza delivery boy!?
If you like the post or the comment, then don't forget to SMASH that LIKE BUTTON!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 30, 2003
7145 posts
514 upvotes
lamboman wrote:
Jul 17th, 2018 12:49 pm
Even the pizza delivery boy!?
Surveillance is a bitch....but no, I don't order pizza for delivery, I usually pick up.
My nick doesn't mean I'm happy any more than yours means you're a sex machine.
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2007
2167 posts
442 upvotes
Toronto
Just had a couple of guys from Ontario Home Services MGA visit my house. Here's how it started, which at first seemed kind of fine:

1) A woman with heavy accent called me for an appointment, said she is calling from OHS. She knew names in the household, and address of the house. This made the call seem legitimate. Also, it turns out that I already had OHS sticker on my water heater - apparently, I'm already their client. Not sure how that happened though. Maybe when we bought the house, previous owner already had signed up for OHS services, so it was transferred to us, but we just never paid attention to it back then, being unfamiliar with ongoing scams.
2) She said we need to schedule an annual inspection of our water heater, just to make sure it's all fine. As a side note, we've had an issue with this heater about a year ago (which was promptly resolved after we called the OHS number on the heater), so we thought it might somehow be related to the reason of why inspection was required.
3) When a couple of guys came to the house to "do a checkup", they said they "missed" to install a water filter in the house, which according to them "they were supposed to do" a couple of years ago. They sounded apologetic - sort of "sorry we forgot".
4) The checkup consisted of them leaking a bit of water from the water tank - they showed that there was some sediment in the water, and the water seemed muddy. This made us believe that water indeed was not as clean as it should've been, and we needed a filter. (Keep on reading for later findings)
5) When we've asked them numerous times if the filter would have any cost associated with it, they said yes, and that the new charge would show up on our Enbridge bill, but we'd be getting credit in return.
The whole situation made it seem as if we absolutely need the filter, it was supposed to have been installed a long time ago as part of "normal" procedures, and it would come at no additional overall cost.

Here're the things that ended up not making sense, after we've signed up for the filter (by filling out a form), and the guys left.
1) The guys who came had all paperwork under the company name of "MGA Home Services". They claimed MGA is under OHS. No idea if it's so. (UPDATE: I've called OHS later on, and they said MGA is a separate entity, not affiliated with OHS in any way.) After they left, I tried to look up MGA online, and even tried to visit their website as it was printed on the form - website was dead.
Still, even if the site was up, I wouldn't give this much trust anyway. It now costs only a few bucks to set up a legitimately-looking website, so they could have a proper website to seem more trustworthy.
2) They gave me a form from "Consumer protection Ontario" - I'm guessing they'd rather not give me this form, but are obligated to do so by law. On that form, there's a paragraph that states
Suppliers cannot market or contract for these products or services at your home unless one of the situations applies (please check the appropriate box)
[ ] You contacted the supplier to invite them to your home to buy or lease at least one of the products above (not for repair, an energy assessment, maintenance, or any other reason)
[ ] You agreed to allow your current supplier to come to your home and agreed they may offer you a contract for one of the products or services listed above.
The guys "helpfully" filled out the form for me, and ticked off the first box - that *I* invited them, because I wanted something from them. Which was a lie. THEY called me to set up an appointment, and they said it was to check up on the heater - which IS part of maintenance.
This was the main cause, which triggered "BS filter" after I've had time to read all the forms in detail, and began to look into filter scam as a whole, following which decided to call and cancel.
3) None of the phone numbers on the form can be google'd as associated with either MGA or OHS. Neither the one where original caller for appointment called from. All phone numbers we've tried to call and cancel lead to a dead end - either always-busy, or "please leave a message and we'll get back to you" - which, of course, they never did.
Though same as with website, I wouldn't put much trust into phone numbers as well, since it's quite easy to set up phone numbers, and throw them around the web, to seem legitimate.
4) The guys put a date 2 days earlier than today. Not sure why - probably to reduce our cooling period of 10 days to cancel? Or to make it seem like there's 3 days between original "sales presentation", and when they came to install the filter?
5) On my Embridge bill, renter company's name for water heater is "Reliance". No mention of OHS. That makes it quite confusing - why there's OHS sticker on the heater, if I'm charged by a different company?
6) To the earlier point 4) I've made in the first part, it turns out that tank requires regular cleaning, to flush out sediment. As the first-time house owner, I never knew that, so we've never cleaned it. So, when those guys poured a bit of water from the tank, it's no surprise the water came out muddy. Furthermore, it's highly debatable whether there's even a need for a carbon filter in the house at all. But it's a separate topic, not for this thread.
However, the guys never told me that I need to clean the water tank every year - they said I need a water filter.
7) Having less and less trust in the company, I've decided to read the fine print on the form. It was basically "We're not responsible for anything, you're responsible for everything. And the price will go up periodically."
8) Finally, found this forum and other references online regarding carbon filter scam, specifically from OHS. Apparently, they make all kinds of promises regarding credit, but nobody receives it. Or I'm guessing as part of "advanced" scamming practices they might start give out something like $5 credit in return for $70 monthly cost of filter, and then claim "well, we NEVER said we'd reimburse you in full, we just said you'd get some credit".

(UPDATE: While OHS may be responsible for a list of scams on their own, this one is not their responsibility. The new parasite MGA is on the road.
I'm starting to think OHS might have a leak of client data - somebody may have taken a bunch of client records and ran off with them - I don't have other explanation of how MGA could've gotten our info, and how they knew we were client of OHS)

In regards to their claim that they need to do an annual inspection... I've never heard of such a thing before - for any heater, furnace, or filter. I'm guessing "periodic inspection" is their gateway to upsell their existing clients for more and more useless stuff. Well, someone may say "it's not COMPLETELY useless", but the benefit will not be anywhere near thousands upon thousands of dollars you'll end up paying for each such "upgrade".
It's also possible that after the new laws came into effect surrounding door-to-door sales, it became extremely harder for them to sell to random people by walking the streets. So, they're now targeting their existing clients, by using clients' personal data to help these scammers pretend seem legitimate.

If you get an appointment for inspection, here's a check list you can do instead (based on what I've seen the guys do):
- check the heater for any kind of physical damage
- use common sense to consider whether it works properly - is water pressure ok, heat consistent etc
- you're done!
Same steps apply for furnace, or any other inspection you'll get from these companies.

I guess the lesson is... You can NEVER trust OHS. Not even if you're already their client. - looks like it's not OHS to blame for this time.
So, maybe the lesson is - if someone says they're from some company, and you're a client of that company, don't trust them even if they have your personal info. Find an alternative way to contact the company first, to make sure the callers are who they say they are.