Computers & Electronics

Comparing U.S. DNS unblocking services

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 7th, 2016 11:20 am
Oct 26, 2007
3 posts
I found one VPN site that works on Google Crome by changing the extension to the country you want to view from like Canada. Easy to set up and its free.

http://hola.org/
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2004
2466 posts
899 upvotes
lethbridge alberta
mark555 wrote: I found one VPN site that works on Google Crome by changing the extension to the country you want to view from like Canada. Easy to set up and its free.

http://hola.org/
Not so fast. Google "Hola Warnings".
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2693 upvotes
Vancouver
Hola and several similar browser extensions are listed briefly in the first post of this thread. Hola is more of a special-purpose DNS service than a true VPN, and there are some reasons to be cautious about using it, as frankw warned.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2693 upvotes
Vancouver
Several of the VPN companies are offering Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals on their DNS or VPN+DNS services, for example:
Cactus DNS: $27.29/yr

Some other coupon codes here: http://vpncoupons.com/cyber-monday-vpn- ... y-sale-70/
and links here: https://vpncreative.net/2014/11/28/vpn- ... day-deals/

But I don't think you'll find anyone undercutting the regular prices of our everyday low-price DNS leaders like USAccess.ca, AdFreeTime, and dns4me.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2006
5744 posts
5510 upvotes
Toronto
PIA was offering their unlimited VPN for ~$30/year too
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2001
18145 posts
1741 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Chromecast doesn't work with dns unblockers anymore?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2693 upvotes
Vancouver
konfusion666 wrote: Chromecast doesn't work with dns unblockers anymore?
I haven't seen any other reports of new geoblocking, but we all know things can change at any time. What Chromecast firmware version? Which app? What device are you casting from?

There have been some reports lately that Netflix is rotating between different servers in their pool which appear to handle geoblocking differently, so one attempt to play a title will succeed, and the next one fails at random. It seems to affect mostly the Android app though. I just reverted to one version back and I don't encounter the problem any more.
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2001
18145 posts
1741 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Tonight was strange, couldn't cast from Android app (to chromecast) and couldn't play Netflix on the PS3 either...
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2001
18145 posts
1741 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
So has anyone been able to *cast* from the Android Netflix app (running on a phone or tablet) to their Chromecast device today or yesterday evening/night?

Of course, i'm referring to *WITH* a dns unblocking service enabled.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2693 upvotes
Vancouver
Comparing experience is not going to be meaningful unless we take care to note:
- Chromecast firmware version
- Android Netflix app version
- DNS service used
- unblocking method with Chromecast (i.e., static route, Google DNS redirection, or Google DNS redirection with cloaking)

and make sure you flush the router's DNS cache in between tests, and always retry a few times in case of failure to attempt to get different Netflix servers.

Ok, so I did some testing, and I can confirm that Netflix has broken unblocking services on Android and iOS, but not on the Chromecast itself.

My Chromecast firmware version: 22062 (latest as far as I know)
Netflix Android app version: 3.7.1 -> will play U.S. content on device, but no longer works with Chromecast, insists on update
Netflix Android app version: 3.8.3 -> error connecting to Netflix when unblocking DNS service is used
Tested unblocking DNS services: unblock.us, usaccess.ca, dns4me (using static route to block Google DNS, did not yet try DD-WRT redirecting Google DNS)
Netflix iOS app, old iOS 6 version -> will play U.S. content on device, but no longer works with Chromecast, insists on update (did not update, not so easy to undo as with Android)
Chrome browser on PC: plays U.S. content, will cast successfully to Chromecast (using recent Chrome version and up-to-date Google Cast)

So it looks like Netflix has broken unblocking in the current Android and iOS apps, but not in older app versions, not in PC web browser, and not on the Chromecast itself. But the catch-22 is that the older Netflix apps will no longer cast to the Chromecast. So the only work-around for the moment is to start the U.S. Netflix stream from your PC. Maybe control it remotely using the Teamviewer app or something like that.

It's possible that blocking Google DNS is what's broken for the Android/iOS apps, and the alternative work-around using router redirection of Google DNS would work. There was some hint of that going on in Netflix Android app 3.7.2.

Likely what happened to you konfusion666 is that your Android app updated.

unblockus Netflix support thread: http://support.unblock-us.com/customer/ ... s?b_id=530
Many problems reported, but as always it's difficult to separate the genuine new problems from those just failing to get something right.
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2009
1948 posts
337 upvotes
JamesA1 wrote: So it looks like Netflix has broken unblocking in the current Android and iOS apps, but not in older app versions, not in PC web browser, and not on the Chromecast itself. But the catch-22 is that the older Netflix apps will no longer cast to the Chromecast. So the only work-around for the moment is to start the U.S. Netflix stream from your PC. Maybe control it remotely using the Teamviewer app or something like that.
I spoke with a few Netflix chat agents about this and from what they tell me it's not a Netflix issue. Google recently made some changes (like requiring 4.0 or higher for example) for those wanting to make an app for Chromecast. Those new changed took effect on the latest Chromecast firmware.

This definitely makes me steer clear of any Google device from now on. If your only device was one with Gingerbread, casting it's essentially useless now even though they still advertise it as being compatible.
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2001
18145 posts
1741 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
JamesA1 wrote: Netflix Android app version: 3.8.3 -> error connecting to Netflix when unblocking DNS service is used
Tested unblocking DNS services: unblock.us, usaccess.ca, dns4me (using static route to block Google DNS, did not yet try DD-WRT redirecting Google DNS)
James I think I found a workaround for this issue.

What I did:
1. log out of all Netflix apps (android phone & tablet), clear cache and data
2. went into my router, changed DNS servers back to Teksavvy (my ISP), disabled "advanced routing" (blackholing 8.8.8.8 etc)
3. reboot EVERYTHING
4. run Netflix on android - obviously it's now Canadian netflix. Log in. browse videos. maybe watch something for 30 sec.
5. close netflix
6. went into my router, changed DNS servers back to AdFreeTime, re-enabled Advanced Routing and Blackholing
7. reboot everything
8. run Netflix on android - it will appear to take longer than usual to log in - but once it does logs in, it'll be US Netflix!

tl;dr As long as your first login to the Android Netflix app is with normal ISP DNS servers (no DNS unblockers), then after that you can enable a DNS-unblocker and it seems to work alright. Your first login to the Android Netflix app SHOULD NOT be with a DNS-unblocker enabled. In fact, if you're dealing with an Android phone rather than tablet, you can simply switch between cellular LTE & your normal ISP wi-fi instead of having to disable and re-enable the DNS unblocker at the router level, to "do" this same workaround
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2693 upvotes
Vancouver
Doesn't work for me, at least not to play from U.S. Netflix on my Android device. I can get the new Netflix Android app running for Netflix Canada. And as other people have reported it's possible to then switch DNS to U.S. Netflix, find U.S.-only content, and cast it directly to the Chromecast. But when I try to play the same U.S. content on Android, the app still stalls with "Could not reach the Netflix service" when it goes to actually play the video. I retried several times since people have been reporting that it's erratic, but it didn't succeed even once for me.
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2001
18145 posts
1741 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
JamesA1 wrote: Doesn't work for me, at least not to play from U.S. Netflix on my Android device. I can get the new Netflix Android app running for Netflix Canada. And as other people have reported it's possible to then switch DNS to U.S. Netflix, find U.S.-only content, and cast it directly to the Chromecast. But when I try to play the same U.S. content on Android, the app still stalls with "Could not reach the Netflix service" when it goes to actually play the video.
i should clarify, i only use the Android Netflix app to cast to my Chromecast. You're right in that playing US Netflix videos locally on the Android device still does not work.

my extensive workaround posted above was because i recently had a load of problem just *casting* US Netflix videos from my android app to the chromecast!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2693 upvotes
Vancouver
Ok, that's consistent with what everyone is seeing, I think.

From what I can understand, the method of redirecting Google DNS lookups instead of blocking them in the router might still work, although I think you need to take the extra step of making it look like the responses are coming back from Google (the MASQUERADE option in the iptables command). I have a DD-WRT router around here which I set up to do that before, so I'll test it when I get a chance.

Update: Ok, I did some testing with my DD-WRT router, and I can confirm that the current Netflix Android app (version 3.8.3) does work to play out-of-region content locally on the Android device when using Google DNS redirection via iptables commands. I haven't tested extensively to see if it works consistently, but it worked for me right away.

Another update: Looks like the latest update to the Netflix Chromecast app broke things again. I was able to get it running by updating the Netflix Android app to 3.9.1, but I'm unsure how stable it is.

The iptables commands I am using are:

Code: Select all

iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i br0 -p tcp --dport 53 -j DNAT --to <redirected DNS IP address>
iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i br0 -p udp --dport 53 -j DNAT --to <redirected DNS IP address>
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2693 upvotes
Vancouver
Added a new DNS service from Proxmate, known for their free unblocking browser extension. The DNS is stated to be an "alpha" product as yet, and there's no subscription fee, but early access is available only to those who make a one-time donation.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2693 upvotes
Vancouver
Christmas discounts:

Getflix - up to 40% off
"Liking us on Facebook through your Getflix dashboard will give you 15% off already.
To claim this additional offer, simply login to your Getflix account and go to the "Subscription" section here: https://www.getflix.com.au/manage/subscription
Click on the "Promo Code" tab and enter the code XMAS40 to claim your 40% annual discount.
Once the code has been applied it will give you a 40% discount on our annual plan. You can now subscribe for 12 months at 40% off using either PayPal or your credit card!"

When I try the promo code it shows me: "12 months - AUD $21.24 (40% discount)"

SmartDNSProxy - up to 70% off
"Our gift is simple, but BIG. Its not 50, but 70% HUGE DISCOUNT on our yearly and two yearly plans.
To get started, click on this LINK, login to your account and subscribe."
Looks like a targeted email to people who have registered before during their free beta phase. Check your email.

What it shows when I follow the LINK and log in:
12 Months - $19.90 (66% discount) *Special
24 Months - $34.90 (70% discount) *Special

Both company's email offers have the exact same title. I wonder if they're related?... Yes, they are - Çakınberk Telekominikasyon Internetser.Hiz.Lim.Şti. or "Global Stealth", the operators of SmartDNSProxy, are the new owners of Getflix Australia.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2004
2466 posts
899 upvotes
lethbridge alberta
JamesA1 wrote: Christmas discounts:

Getflix - up to 40% off
"Liking us on Facebook through your Getflix dashboard will give you 15% off already.
To claim this additional offer, simply login to your Getflix account and go to the "Subscription" section here: https://www.getflix.com.au/manage/subscription
Click on the "Promo Code" tab and enter the code XMAS40 to claim your 40% annual discount.
Once the code has been applied it will give you a 40% discount on our annual plan. You can now subscribe for 12 months at 40% off using either PayPal or your credit card!"

When I try the promo code it shows me: "12 months - AUD $21.24 (40% discount)"

SmartDNSProxy - up to 70% off
"Our gift is simple, but BIG. Its not 50, but 70% HUGE DISCOUNT on our yearly and two yearly plans.
To get started, click on this LINK, login to your account and subscribe."
Looks like a targeted email to people who have registered before during their free beta phase. Check your email.

What it shows when I follow the LINK and log in:
12 Months - $19.90 (66% discount) *Special
24 Months - $34.90 (70% discount) *Special

Both company's email offers have the exact same title. I wonder if they're related?... Yes, they are - Çakınberk Telekominikasyon Internetser.Hiz.Lim.Şti. or "Global Stealth", the operators of SmartDNSProxy, are the new owners of Getflix Australia.
RE: SmartDNSProxy. Setup 14 day trial. Can't locate how many connections are allowed per account and can't see how to switch Netflix regions. Any clues....?

UPDATE Never expected such a rapid reply to my email query with them this morning but they told me that you can have as many connections as you want as long as they are under the same source IP. Ie. your house.

As for a Netflix region switcher...... there isn't one. They are working it. He suggest checking out their sister company Getflix as they support multiple Neflix regions.

I've asked the same question of Getflix.

UPDATE 2 Here is the response from GetFlix if someone can figure out what they mean....

"Thank you for the email. I have talked to our administrators that you can only you can only watched one region per account, but if you are located at the UK (given example or any region with Netflix) you can set up Getflix from one device to stream Netflix US or any other region while you can retain the original dns connection (from your ISP) to stream your local Netflix. "
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2693 upvotes
Vancouver
frankw wrote: they told me that you can have as many connections as you want as long as they are under the same source IP. Ie. your house.
As far as I know only dns4me allows multiple authorized IP addresses on your basic account (they allow 3).

It's possible that some of the others offer extra IP addresses as an extra-cost option.
"...if you are located at the UK (given example or any region with Netflix) you can set up Getflix from one device to stream Netflix US or any other region while you can retain the original dns connection (from your ISP) to stream your local Netflix. "
A DNS service like Getflix recognizes you and confirms that you have a valid account by your pre-authorized IP address. It's the only information contained in a DNS lookup that they could use. All the devices behind your router on your LAN share the same external IP address, so any or all of them can use the DNS service at the same time. But someone with a different IP address could not. If you give your account information to a friend or family member living at a different location, they could authorize their IP address, but since only one IP address can be authorized at a time per account, that would cut off service for your IP address. There's also only one Netflix region setting per account, so every device using your account on the DNS service gets the same Netflix region. However if you have a device that is using your default ISP DNS service instead of the unblocking DNS service, it will still appear to be in your home region and will get content from that region.

You might wonder if Netflix would object to your single-user account being active in more than one region at a time, but in fact a standard Netflix account allows up to 3 simultaneous users who can be in different regions (but Netflix also has a separate lower-cost subscription option now that allows only one user).

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)