Off Topic

'Completely racist': Rental ad posted online offers discount to 'local white Canadians'

  • Last Updated:
  • Feb 17th, 2018 6:24 pm
[OP]
Moderator
User avatar
May 8, 2009
3229 posts
1021 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W

'Completely racist': Rental ad posted online offers discount to 'local white Canadians'

CTV: 'Completely racist': Rental ad posted online offers discount to 'local white Canadians'
It also says 'Discount for local white Canadians’.
CTV News called the number on the ad and was told it was posted to find a roommate, preferring people from North America because they are nicer, more responsible, and respectful.
When asked why give a discount to North Americans, he said, “It's just my personal preference. That's all."
The individual who posted the ad sadly did nothing illegal, but their xenophobia is disgusting.

If they really want to filter roommates based on skin colour, then ask for references, let the person visit the flat, and simply don't follow up with candidates you're not interested in.

Now that this individual has made a complete fool of themself, there will likely be social pressure to let in a non-Caucasian roommate, and certainly will be judged harshly if they select a "white roommate".
Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
Home service reseller internet + FPL + antenna with streaming on smart TV
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming
139 replies
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 16, 2010
1745 posts
730 upvotes
Hamilton
I remember when I was going to university in Waterloo, a lot of landlords said they would only take female tenants, and many more would only take oriental tenants. Made it more difficult to find a place to live, but I get the logic that guys are more destructive and asian landlords only want to rent to asian tenants.

Had that happened now I could have taken to social media to voice my displeasure. I'm thankful we live in a time where the white male shouldn't have to face discrimination.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 24, 2002
4788 posts
443 upvotes
titaniumtux wrote:
Dec 11th, 2017 10:24 am
CTV: 'Completely racist': Rental ad posted online offers discount to 'local white Canadians'



The individual who posted the ad sadly did nothing illegal, but their xenophobia is disgusting.

If they really want to filter roommates based on skin colour, then ask for references, let the person visit the flat, and simply don't follow up with candidates you're not interested in.

Now that this individual has made a complete fool of themself, there will likely be social pressure to let in a non-Caucasian roommate, and certainly will be judged harshly if they select a "white roommate".
Wouldn't that just be wasting someones time and building up their hopes? Better to be open and honest - if the guy wants to accept someone like Dellan Millard - his issue
http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=14378

WENGER IN!!!!


I promise not to cut your taxes but I won't raise them either.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 23, 2015
1423 posts
709 upvotes
Newmarket, ON
When I first moved out on my own I was also upset with all the landlords wanting only female tenants. I can understand a girl wanting a female roommate, but I don't see why a landlord would insist on a female. It's a myth that women are cleaner or tidier than men. I also think it's just as wrong for asians to insist on asian tenants as it is for this white guy to insist on white tenants.

One time I replied to this ad where a guy was looking for a roommate, and he replied with "sorry this room is for girls only". Clearly a predator.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 23, 2006
3153 posts
200 upvotes
titaniumtux wrote:
Dec 11th, 2017 10:24 am
CTV: 'Completely racist': Rental ad posted online offers discount to 'local white Canadians'



The individual who posted the ad sadly did nothing illegal, but their xenophobia is disgusting.

If they really want to filter roommates based on skin colour, then ask for references, let the person visit the flat, and simply don't follow up with candidates you're not interested in.

Now that this individual has made a complete fool of themself, there will likely be social pressure to let in a non-Caucasian roommate, and certainly will be judged harshly if they select a "white roommate".
Agree. But I have seen many ads like female preferred. Indian origins preferred. Muslims preferred. Chinese preferred. Why this outrage only when "whites" is added?
Winnipeg police told CTV News Sunday it’s not illegal to hold a racist position, but that doesn't mean it’s not repugnant. It's just not criminal.
not criminal or illegal. moveon.
“There are some things money can’t buy, and for everything else there’s MasterCard. Well, get out your checkbooks ladies and gentlemen, because it seems like the entire liberal cabinet can be bought. TRUDEAU: I CAN’T BE BOUGHT...LMAO. Because its 2017
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 23, 2006
3153 posts
200 upvotes
BeapChastard wrote:
Dec 11th, 2017 10:49 am
When I first moved out on my own I was also upset with all the landlords wanting only female tenants. I can understand a girl wanting a female roommate, but I don't see why a landlord would insist on a female. It's a myth that women are cleaner or tidier than men. I also think it's just as wrong for asians to insist on asian tenants as it is for this white guy to insist on white tenants.

One time I replied to this ad where a guy was looking for a roommate, and he replied with "sorry this room is for girls only". Clearly a predator.
not correct. Boys are dirty pigs. Most if not all girls will keep the room clean and not damaged. I have seen firsthand how boys damage the walls, electrical outlets etc.etc...
“There are some things money can’t buy, and for everything else there’s MasterCard. Well, get out your checkbooks ladies and gentlemen, because it seems like the entire liberal cabinet can be bought. TRUDEAU: I CAN’T BE BOUGHT...LMAO. Because its 2017
Sr. Member
User avatar
Aug 17, 2009
976 posts
435 upvotes
titaniumtux wrote:
Dec 11th, 2017 10:24 am
The individual who posted the ad sadly did nothing illegal, but their xenophobia is disgusting. [...] Now that this individual has made a complete fool of themself, there will likely be social pressure to let in a non-Caucasian roommate, and certainly will be judged harshly if they select a "white roommate".
@titaniumtux You do know there are places in Ontario, like, say, Toronto, where the City (forget private people), the City, will only provide housing only for Muslim people, right? And that white people have to shrug it off and find housing, somewhere else, right?

Remember my silly thread on not being okay to be white? Well, isn't your thread an example of that? Where is the outcry against this double-standard? Let me guess, because, much like your argument about jobs, John Doe, can go find an apartment somewhere else, whereas poor Mohammed, cannot. And this, this is why we have a crazy-nut like Trump, in the White House. This is why our country is becoming polarized. Equality for all? Please.
Corvus oculum corvi non eruit.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 23, 2006
3153 posts
200 upvotes
Shared Room for Rent Near Sherdian College FEMALE STUDENTS ONLY
Mississauga / Peel Region24/10/2017
Women Only $375 per person You will be sharing a room Mattress, bed furniture and bed sheets are included All bills, laundry, and the Internet are included Furniture included Brampton and Mississauga ...
Room for Female Rent in Downtown Toronto (Dufferin and Lawrence)
Furnished Separate room basement Jan 1st for Muslim Single
City of Toronto08/12/2017
One furnished separate room in basement with separate entrance, neat and clean. (ideal and preferably Pakistani Indian Bangladeshi Afghani Muslim working professional ). The basement will be shared ...
kijiji
Room available for rent....Muslim girls or single mother
$299.00
“There are some things money can’t buy, and for everything else there’s MasterCard. Well, get out your checkbooks ladies and gentlemen, because it seems like the entire liberal cabinet can be bought. TRUDEAU: I CAN’T BE BOUGHT...LMAO. Because its 2017
Banned
Feb 27, 2012
270 posts
98 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
titaniumtux wrote:
Dec 11th, 2017 10:24 am
CTV: 'Completely racist': Rental ad posted online offers discount to 'local white Canadians'



The individual who posted the ad sadly did nothing illegal, but their xenophobia is disgusting.

If they really want to filter roommates based on skin colour, then ask for references, let the person visit the flat, and simply don't follow up with candidates you're not interested in.

Now that this individual has made a complete fool of themself, there will likely be social pressure to let in a non-Caucasian roommate, and certainly will be judged harshly if they select a "white roommate".
So you're saying it's OK if you play the game as long as you do it that way?

Why bother, If he's looking for somebody to live with him he should just be upfront with who he wants.

Why do you think all these enclaves in Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal are popping up ? Because people want to live near/beside people like themselves.

This is nothing new, the world has been like that for 1000's of years except for the last 60 or so where the stupid Liberals are pushing Multiculturalism on us.

The funny thing is most of the asian and middle eastern countries are the biggest racists on this planet.
Last edited by user12340 on Dec 11th, 2017 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Banned
Dec 10, 2017
4 posts
This is an interesting point. I am not sure if posting it in the ad is the best place.

I think there needs to maybe be a place to find room mates with like interests? I also think that just because someone's skin may be a darker, or lighter shade does not mean you won't have anything in common.

The ad was worded poorly, and may in fact sound a little xenophobic.
[OP]
Moderator
User avatar
May 8, 2009
3229 posts
1021 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
Micelli_Illuminatti wrote:
Dec 11th, 2017 11:00 am
@titaniumtux You do know there are places in Ontario, like, say, Toronto, where the City (forget private people), the City, will only provide housing only for Muslim people, right? And that white people have to shrug it off and find housing, somewhere else, right?

Remember my silly thread on not being okay to be white? Well, isn't your thread an example of that? Where is the outcry against this double-standard? Let me guess, because, much like your argument about jobs, John Doe, can go find an apartment somewhere else, whereas poor Mohammed, cannot. And this, this is why we have a crazy-nut like Trump, in the White House. This is why our country is becoming polarized. Equality for all? Please.
Lolz. I think the ad was worded poorly. The statement you made would he been golden on your earlier post. I don't think anyone in Canada should explicitly state that they're only looking for someone of a specific skin colour unless it's for acting in a movie or TV show. I am ok with roommates specifying they're looking for someone of a specific sex.

@sandeeS there are many messy women out there and many clean guys out there too. Sorry this hasn't been your experience. If you want to stereotype guys as messy, you might as well stereotype gals as messy, too...I'm convinced the gap between messy women and men is narrower than you think.
Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
Home service reseller internet + FPL + antenna with streaming on smart TV
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
7161 posts
817 upvotes
Toronto
People have always done this just now they express it while before kept it hidden.
This afterall is North America.
Same for jobs, Police profiling etc.
The smart racists know to keep their mouths shut.
Nothing new.
Deal Addict
May 17, 2005
3865 posts
512 upvotes
gh05t wrote:
Dec 11th, 2017 11:36 am
People have always done this just now they express it while before kept it hidden.
This afterall is North America.
Same for jobs, Police profiling etc.
The smart racists know to keep their mouths shut.
Nothing new.
agree ... unless this "racist" is the not a "white racist" ... then he doesn't have to keep his mouth shut ... double standard ...
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jan 7, 2007
19399 posts
2873 upvotes
Poormond Hill
I don't see anything wrong. He wants someone to suit his preference. Better than having a non white show up and wasting his time.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
7901 posts
656 upvotes
I don't see a huge issue. I mean you see preferences everywhere.

Granted maybe "white" isn't the best wording, perhaps he meant "Canadian-ized" which I understand what that would be.

Top