Off Topic

'Completely racist': Rental ad posted online offers discount to 'local white Canadians'

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 17th, 2018 6:24 pm
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
5613 posts
3192 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
hugh_da_man wrote:
Dec 12th, 2017 11:16 am
I was referring to the links to the case in Ontario that raider was commenting on. It's a clear case of discrimination based on ethnicity and religion but the OHRC allows you to discriminate if you have some identity to discriminate by.

I believe the case in the OP is in Winnipeg so I'm not sure how the OHRC applies...
Sorry, I missed that post / linkage

In that partcular Ontario Case, it is not considered discrimination because it is deemed to be similar to a Co-op / Social Club or Organization “the Ahmadiyya Abode of Peace” which is no doubt how the property is registered

Sucks for the guy in the wheelchair, but if was to say find a subsidized spot in a building run by an organization like The Rotary / Lions / or Shriners... the rules under the OHRC would apply in exactly the same way
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2013
4940 posts
1366 upvotes
Halifax
i don't see how this is racist. they have a preference...why is that wrong ?

i mean, there are certain pizza shops i won't go to because i prefer others over them. this guy prefers local white canadians...he is offering a discount for them. seniors get discounts, is that agist?

people get so sensitive these days. I am offended that you are offended... Face With Tears Of JoyFace With Tears Of JoyFace With Tears Of Joy
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2009
2417 posts
443 upvotes
Toronto
user12340 wrote:
Dec 11th, 2017 11:02 am
The funny thing is most of the asian and middle eastern countries are the biggest racists on this planet.
They aren't racist per se, just has an opinion on whether other races are easier to communicate with or not. For example, based on my experience fob Chinese people are easier to deal with in terms of them being tenants, you can try to reason with them and they can be more accommodating compared to people that grew up in Canada where all they would talk about is how this is the law "section B of xxx said you can't do this to me". I've literally heard a tenant said to the owner that he can literally $sh1t on the floor when he leaves and they can't do anything about it unless the landlord is willing to incur all the legal fees in order to get maybe a few hundred dollars back. Since Canada views all tenants as the victims, the landlords don't really win in general.
[OP]
May 8, 2009
6802 posts
2970 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
blaznazn22 wrote:
Dec 12th, 2017 9:14 am
Not a big deal, except for that discount part...which he didn't need to make public his xenophobia. Good deal for the white guys though Grinning Face With Smiling EyesGrinning Face With Smiling Eyes
+1!!!

This!
eBay profile| Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
DUCA thread | Simplii Account Linking | Make CCTS Claim | Max on Koodo Referrals Thread
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2001
16515 posts
565 upvotes
Oak Ridges, ON
Dpack22 wrote:
Dec 11th, 2017 10:38 am
I remember when I was going to university in Waterloo, a lot of landlords said they would only take female tenants, and many more would only take oriental tenants. Made it more difficult to find a place to live, but I get the logic that guys are more destructive and asian landlords only want to rent to asian tenants.

Had that happened now I could have taken to social media to voice my displeasure. I'm thankful we live in a time where the white male shouldn't have to face discrimination.
LOL. I went to UW from 98-03 and back then, most landlords were white. One landlord (a very friendly young couple) was quite willing to let me rent, but said with a very straight/serious face "we'd ask that you not cook any strong-smelling ethnic food, i.e. chinese, indian, etc".

the thing is, back then i didn't cook, but i struck them off my list anyways. them making assumptions = dumb
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2005
7132 posts
240 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote:
Dec 12th, 2017 11:31 am
Sorry, I missed that post / linkage

In that partcular Ontario Case, it is not considered discrimination because it is deemed to be similar to a Co-op / Social Club or Organization “the Ahmadiyya Abode of Peace” which is no doubt how the property is registered

Sucks for the guy in the wheelchair, but if was to say find a subsidized spot in a building run by an organization like The Rotary / Lions / or Shriners... the rules under the OHRC would apply in exactly the same way
It's been a while since I read that story but wasn't the housing subsidized by the government? That's the problem, you can have a private building but if you're subsidized by the government then you shouldn't be able to discriminate for any reason. However, the OHRC disagreed because they're ok with certain types of discrimination.

And honestly, statements like "sucks for the guy in the wheelchair" is the reason why the OHRC is supposed to exist. They're supposed to intervene for the guy in the wheelchair so that he can't be denied subsidized housing because someone decides they'd rather give the place to someone of their same ethnicity or religion. Are they going to have to build "white guy only" subsidized housing so that this guy can find a place to live? The whole concept is wrong and un-Canadian but the OHRC does nothing because they're a sham.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
19829 posts
2162 upvotes
Montreal
konfusion666 wrote:
Dec 12th, 2017 2:11 pm
LOL. I went to UW from 98-03 and back then, most landlords were white. One landlord (a very friendly young couple) was quite willing to let me rent, but said with a very straight/serious face "we'd ask that you not cook any strong-smelling ethnic food, i.e. chinese, indian, etc".

the thing is, back then i didn't cook, but i struck them off my list anyways. them making assumptions = dumb
Should've cooked blood pudding, steak and kidney pie, with a side of haggis.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2013
1435 posts
363 upvotes
Mississauga
There are many ads that specify either female or male tenants. Would that constitute being sexist?
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2012
3704 posts
383 upvotes
Ottawa
jdu0ng wrote:
Dec 12th, 2017 4:49 pm
There are many ads that specify either female or male tenants. Would that constitute being sexist?

IIRC one of the exceptions of the OHRC is that if you share a kitchen/bathroom with a tenant then you can require a specific gender.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2005
7132 posts
240 upvotes
ConsoleWatcher wrote:
Dec 12th, 2017 4:59 pm
IIRC one of the exceptions of the OHRC is that if you share a kitchen/bathroom with a tenant then you can require a specific gender.
I can't wait until the non-binary people go after that one!
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
5613 posts
3192 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
hugh_da_man wrote:
Dec 12th, 2017 4:03 pm
It's been a while since I read that story but wasn't the housing subsidized by the government? That's the problem, you can have a private building but if you're subsidized by the government then you shouldn't be able to discriminate for any reason. However, the OHRC disagreed because they're ok with certain types of discrimination.

And honestly, statements like "sucks for the guy in the wheelchair" is the reason why the OHRC is supposed to exist. They're supposed to intervene for the guy in the wheelchair so that he can't be denied subsidized housing because someone decides they'd rather give the place to someone of their same ethnicity or religion. Are they going to have to build "white guy only" subsidized housing so that this guy can find a place to live? The whole concept is wrong and un-Canadian but the OHRC does nothing because they're a sham.
Good post.

And we actually agree...

But as you said under the current OHRC Rules, there is this loophole where one can be declared a Private Organization / Club

It just so happens that this story focuses on “a white guy in a wheelchair” being discriminated against by the Ahmadiyya Abode of Peace... but considering how many other Clubs / Charities provide similar services / do good work (Rotary / Lions / Shriners etc) ya gotta wonder how many times they turn down people too

They may write it off as “you have to apply”... “be a member”...”know someone”... but I am pretty sure it is going on in those organizations too despite all the good work they do / are known for

Problem is, if we did not have the Clubs & Charities that work alongside Govt Bureauracracity to provide such services... then our society would suffer a greater loss... and that is most likely WHY they get away with any discrimination / unfair practices that they have
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2005
7132 posts
240 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote:
Dec 12th, 2017 5:01 pm
Good post.

And we actually agree...

But as you said under the current OHRC Rules, there is this loophole where one can be declared a Private Organization / Club

It just so happens that this story focuses on “a white guy in a wheelchair” being discriminated against by the Ahmadiyya Abode of Peace... but considering how many other Clubs / Charities provide similar services / do good work (Rotary / Lions / Shriners etc) ya gotta wonder how many times they turn down people too

They may write it off as “you have to apply”... “be a member”...”know someone”... but I am pretty sure it is going on in those organizations too despite all the good work they do / are known for

Problem is, if we did not have the Clubs & Charities that work alongside Govt Bureauracracity to provide such services... then our society would suffer a greater loss... and that is most likely WHY they get away with any discrimination / unfair practices that they have
Not really sure that there is ever a justification for discrimination. I don't think groups that only want to help their own have any place in Canada really. I would hope they'd lose all public subsidies and tax benefits and be at the mercy of the OHRC but apparently you can obtain special status when you have a religion or some form of identity to highlight.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
5613 posts
3192 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
hugh_da_man wrote:
Dec 12th, 2017 5:16 pm
Not really sure that there is ever a justification for discrimination. I don't think groups that only want to help their own have any place in Canada really. I would hope they'd lose all public subsidies and tax benefits and be at the mercy of the OHRC but apparently you can obtain special status when you have a religion or some form of identity to highlight.
True

I’d be among the first to say this was outright discrimination... and let’s do away with all across the board

But the point I was trying to highlight is that sometimes the newsworthy are not anything more than following others before them... so a case of what’s good for the goose, is good for the gander too

But let’s not say NO to this one for following the current rules, if it puts us in a situation where we cut off our nose to spite our face

Equality for all under the law, although preferably on the side that makes the most sense
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2013
4940 posts
1366 upvotes
Halifax
konfusion666 wrote:
Dec 12th, 2017 2:11 pm

You are the one making assumptions here. What if he said that to everybody? I know personally, I hate the smell of some of the food my roommates cooked. It stunk the house for days. Once I got used to it, people would visit and smell it. I guess it really stays with the house.

So yeah, no different than not allowing smoking in the place.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2012
1214 posts
127 upvotes
MB
Well , how is now governments recruiting, and giving preference to visible minority's and females.
Is that racism and sexism towards the rest ?
And this is government not private individuals.
"I will tell you how to become rich. Close the doors. Be fearful when others are greedy. Be greedy when others are fearful."
- Warren Buffett