Off Topic

'Completely racist': Rental ad posted online offers discount to 'local white Canadians'

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 17th, 2018 6:24 pm
[OP]
May 8, 2009
4502 posts
1483 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
ukrainiandude wrote:
Dec 13th, 2017 7:25 pm
Well , how is now governments recruiting, and giving preference to visible minority's and females.
Is that racism and sexism towards the rest ?
And this is government not private individuals.
Until members of visible minorities and women have a completely equal chance in life to "the white man" career-wise, I don't think the minority quotas is hurting us for the most part.
eBay profile| Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
DUCA thread | Simplii Account Linking | Make CCTS Claim | Max on Koodo Referrals Thread
Deal Addict
Aug 23, 2006
3153 posts
203 upvotes
titaniumtux wrote:
Dec 13th, 2017 7:40 pm
Until members of visible minorities and women have a completely equal chance in life to "the white man" career-wise, I don't think the minority quotas is hurting us for the most part.
pssst. Nothing to0 do with Minority Quota. And I am so against it.
Its all about votes. The more government workers, minority in government the mote votes for liberals.
Anyone who reduces these workers get voted off. aka Cons.
You cant say its Bad to discriminate and then go reserve jobs for Minority.
“There are some things money can’t buy, and for everything else there’s MasterCard. Well, get out your checkbooks ladies and gentlemen, because it seems like the entire liberal cabinet can be bought. TRUDEAU: I CAN’T BE BOUGHT...LMAO. Because its 2017
Jun 15, 2012
977 posts
78 upvotes
MB
titaniumtux wrote:
Shouldn't the candidate be hired based on qualifications, education and best possible match for taxpayers money?

P.S.I don't think it is my fault that I am not African female.
"I will tell you how to become rich. Close the doors. Be fearful when others are greedy. Be greedy when others are fearful."
- Warren Buffett
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2013
1375 posts
374 upvotes
Winnipeg
ukrainiandude wrote:
Dec 13th, 2017 7:25 pm
Well , how is now governments recruiting, and giving preference to visible minority's and females.
Is that racism and sexism towards the rest ?
And this is government not private individuals.
any recruitment by anyone will always be racism because all other ethnicities will feel unfair.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. -- Douglas Adams
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2008
3282 posts
143 upvotes
Adelaide
I don't think there is anything wrong wanting to room with someone of the same gender, religion, culture or anything like that. Where this ad seems a bit off to me is the specification of White Canadians. I think there is nothing wrong with wanting someone raised in Canada for compatibility reasons but what is the difference and reasoning behind only wanting someone white who was raised in Canada? I don't find there is that much of a difference between most races that have been raised in Canada (at least no bigger than the differences you will find within most races that have been raised in Canada).
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
17732 posts
5851 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
Dpack22 wrote:
Dec 11th, 2017 10:38 am
I remember when I was going to university in Waterloo, a lot of landlords said they would only take female tenants, and many more would only take oriental tenants. Made it more difficult to find a place to live, but I get the logic that guys are more destructive and asian landlords only want to rent to asian tenants.

Had that happened now I could have taken to social media to voice my displeasure. I'm thankful we live in a time where the white male shouldn't have to face discrimination.
Lol this post made my evening
deleted to keep the site family friendly. Was about copping sick fadez.
Well there's no sick fadez left to be copped now that the regimen cannot be admired in all its glory
RIP sick fadez.
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2013
4936 posts
1747 upvotes
redflagdeals.com
Well....this is Winnipeg after all....not the most diverse part of the country. Other races probably feel like aliens to them. Probably akin to places like Alabama, they haven't acclimated to people of color like other parts of Canada. They are afraid of things they aren't familiar with.
A wise RFD'er once said, "Buy now, think later."
I like wearing tinfoil hats.

¯\_(-.-)_/¯

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ "Behold!"
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2008
9814 posts
1357 upvotes
Toronto
titaniumtux wrote:
ukrainiandude wrote:
Dec 13th, 2017 7:58 pm
Shouldn't the candidate be hired based on qualifications, education and best possible match for taxpayers money?

P.S.I don't think it is my fault that I am not African female.
There's definitely less of a push for races as in the US, but I do know there's more of a push for women in certain fields. I've heard this alot in finance "we need to get some hot chicks in here" alot. Actually know of an official situation where a women was hired because there wasn't enough of them and the hiring boss actually said "we needed to get more women in". The saying was to that hire "she only got in because she was a women" since she didn't mix well with the team/company in general.

I'm not sure how it works in government. But I do know in the private sector, it is definitely more based on skill and fit. It just so happens certain races are tilted towards certain professions here for some reason (Chinese and Actuary is a glaring example).

I'm a visible minority and an immigrant. I understand where the racism and stereotypes come from. And all too often, if a Caucasian Canadian heard exactly translated what a lot of these minorities say and think, they would be really shocked. It's that whole "We can only celebrate the beauty part of diversity and country heritage. Acknowledge it and advertise it. Anything negative? Shut your dammn mouth! The Human Rights police is coming after you if you do".
Oct 9, 2017
138 posts
Mississauga
I've seen countless ads for rooms for "female only". I am a guy. Where am I supposed to live then? I ran across hundreds of ads for female only room rentals. Most people looking to rent rooms are males from my experience. What are we to do?

And I find it offensive this notion that guys are destructive and pigs and women are cleaner. I'm a gay male and I've had many female friends and they are slobs most of them. Dirty underwear everywhere, dried up food plates on the floor for weeks, used condoms with semen in them in the washroom. I am very clean, quiet, responsible but because I am a male I can't get accomodation. Bull*hit.

My parents are retirees and recently looked for a place to rent. They were turned down by a lot of people because they weren't "employed" or "professional workers". What are they to do? Where do you complain?

I have a friend who is on disability and it was the same thing with him. "Oh you are on ODSP, oh we prefer a working person, sorry".

These discriminations are all a o.k. except heaven forbid an ad goes up where a white person wants a white person, then that's crossing the line.

It's a bunch of bull all of this, everyone discriminates and there is nothing anyone can do about it.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2005
6539 posts
239 upvotes
titaniumtux wrote:
What part of our laws and our constitution aren't equal? We should change them immediately if they're not. You don't have to cite specific pieces of the law just point me in the right direction to the parts that you feel aren't equal...

Why treat minority groups like they're inferior and require help? Why aren't minority groups more upset about the fact that the government thinks they can't compete fairly and need the scales to be tilted in their favour?
Deal Addict
May 22, 2016
1085 posts
205 upvotes
Ontario
Whats the difference between a recent immigrant from Russia and Pakistan? Both are new to the country. Why can't "the white man" who is an immigrant have the same chance as a visible minority. Companies should hire the best person for the job. I'm pretty sure "white men" don't get the same front of the line hiring in other countries where they are the minority.
Feb 10, 2010
886 posts
328 upvotes
Ajax, ON
I can not imagine the shock/surprise OP is going to have when he/she checks the amount of "sorry NO BLACK GUYS" in the posts of the adult section. Lmao
[OP]
May 8, 2009
4502 posts
1483 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
hugh_da_man wrote:
Dec 14th, 2017 3:45 am
What part of our laws and our constitution aren't equal? We should change them immediately if they're not. You don't have to cite specific pieces of the law just point me in the right direction to the parts that you feel aren't equal...

Why treat minority groups like they're inferior and require help? Why aren't minority groups more upset about the fact that the government thinks they can't compete fairly and need the scales to be tilted in their favour?
Some of them are. For most people, life goes on.
webshark wrote:
Dec 14th, 2017 4:34 am
Whats the difference between a recent immigrant from Russia and Pakistan? Both are new to the country. Why can't "the white man" who is an immigrant have the same chance as a visible minority. Companies should hire the best person for the job. I'm pretty sure "white men" don't get the same front of the line hiring in other countries where they are the minority.
Actually, they do. Send a "white guy" to Asia, Africa or Latin America, and they'll hand him over the job before considering a local candidate.
DUCA thread | Simplii Account Linking | Make CCTS Claim | Max on Koodo Referrals Thread
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2010
2537 posts
657 upvotes
Montreal
He should have stated that he's looking for someone born here/has been living in Canada for a long time instead of a "white guy". As if white people are more Canadian because of their skin tone lol
[OP]
May 8, 2009
4502 posts
1483 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
kenze wrote:
Dec 14th, 2017 12:27 pm
He should have stated that he's looking for someone born here/has been living in Canada for a long time instead of a "white guy". As if white people are more Canadian because of their skin tone lol
Then that would include natives.