Off Topic

'Completely racist': Rental ad posted online offers discount to 'local white Canadians'

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 17th, 2018 6:24 pm
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
15211 posts
1902 upvotes
Toronto
icantfigureoutausername wrote:
Dec 11th, 2017 1:24 pm
Check the Kijiji/Craigslist ads for rentals at Bathurst and Wilson. They regularly say "Filipino woman only".
According to a certain overly emotional poster here, that's 'not racism' since apparently Filipino people can't be racist. Only other people can. interracial-brampton-couple-told-not-ap ... 2083042/4/ (post 49)
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2009
1705 posts
555 upvotes
Hypothetically speaking, our government continues the practice of "minorities first" for government positions. Sooner than later most, if not all of governmental or quasi-governmental positions get filled with minorities. After some time, in places like public schools, even though the white man's "Lord's prayer" has been out for some time, Muslim prayers get provincial endorsement (already happened) and movement is made to get rid of Catholic schools (already happening).

We are reminded that, at least for the time being, whites are still a majority in Canada. Civil unrest starts to happen (as we see south of the border), because the majority's needs are neglected and condemned when people speak up. This will lead to, not only to polarization of Canada, but also a potential civil conflict. Here. In Canada. Likely in the next 10-20 years, if not sooner.

I consider these "whites only" ads as a last bastion of self-control for some of the majority members. They are attempting to replicate what minorities are doing, but are finding out that they are not getting the same, positive, response. I have had and continue to advocate for equality. If we are to live in an equal society, then the percentages of minorities/majorities in companies, governments, etc. should reflect the percentages of the population out there. But by today's standards, that would be construed as being racist.
Corvus oculum corvi non eruit.
Dec 13, 2017
17 posts
9 upvotes
how can all government position be filled with minorities, if like the word says they are minorities. they make a small portion of the population. do you even read the stuff you type?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
5377 posts
1137 upvotes
Mississauga
titaniumtux wrote:
Dec 13th, 2017 7:40 pm
Until members of visible minorities and women have a completely equal chance in life to "the white man" career-wise, I don't think the minority quotas is hurting us for the most part.
The argument I would make to this (being a visible minority myself) is the concept assumes there's some kind of standard distribution that applies to every industry or profession, hence they have to forcefully take corrective hiring measures. Whether it's ensuring there's equal gender distribution or ethnic distribution in the political cabinet or what have you, is assuming within the population, there is that same distribution that is involved in politics, and that's simply not true at all.

If you went to University of Waterloo for Math, the distribution of ethnic backgrounds of students in that faculty are much different than Science, than Arts, etc. So then why shouldn't natural variances in the working world be allowed, so long as, the focus is about the best candidate for the job. Best doesn't mean smartest necessarily, simply best, which can be comprised of many different attributes from one company to the next, from one office culture to the next, etc.
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
15211 posts
1902 upvotes
Toronto
kenchau wrote:
Dec 14th, 2017 12:57 pm
The argument I would make to this (being a visible minority myself) is the concept assumes there's some kind of standard distribution that applies to every industry or profession, hence they have to forcefully take corrective hiring measures. Whether it's ensuring there's equal gender distribution or ethnic distribution in the political cabinet or what have you, is assuming within the population, there is that same distribution that is involved in politics, and that's simply not true at all.

If you went to University of Waterloo for Math, the distribution of ethnic backgrounds of students in that faculty are much different than Science, than Arts, etc. So then why shouldn't natural variances in the working world be allowed, so long as, the focus is about the best candidate for the job. Best doesn't mean smartest necessarily, simply best, which can be comprised of many different attributes from one company to the next, from one office culture to the next, etc.
Agreed. We should be pushing for equality of opportunity, not outcome. Let everyone pursue what they want, and accept the fact that not everyone will choose every career in equal proportions.
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
[OP]
May 8, 2009
5880 posts
2206 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
The issue I have with the article in OP is the fact that it was advertized as "extra discount for white people". Why not just say "looking for a Caucasian roommate", as opposed to suggesting that they'd accept someone of another skin colour, but charge them more?

Guys, please don't derail the thread any further about employment minority quotas.

I would like to respond to all those who mentioned that it's dudes asking for female roommates only (since it's on topic, comparing sexism to racism). I don't really have any personal experience with those guys, but my guess is that they'd be creepy. It'd be more appropriate to put such ads under personals as "dude looking for lady to cuddle with in apartment to split rent". I wouldn't want to share an apartment with such guys. Buing a guy myself, I would rather share an apartment with a guy than a girl to save a lot of awkwardness. I'd share an apartment with a dude of any colour, any faith, but I would insist on no noise during sleeping hours (meaning prayer during the night or before sunrise must be done in silence), no smoking indoors and alcohol is permitted indoors. I can't impose such house rules on other people's homes, but if someone's looking for a roommate and their house rules are in direct conflict with what I propose, we wouldn't be a good match. Last comment on the creeps who want female roommates...they tend to take much more time in the bathroom (blowdrying their hair, etc.). Unless you're ready to sacrifice the convenience of a maximum 20 minute wait time to use the toilet, it's not a good idea for a guy to take a female roommate. If a dude can't respect a 20 minute bathroom rule, I'd rule 'em out, too. I'll accept the odd exception where the roommate tells me (verbally or by SMS) that they're sick and need extra time in the bathroom when needed, but if it's gonna be a daily ritual of no toilet access for over 20 minutes, I'm out.
eBay profile| Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
DUCA thread | Simplii Account Linking | Make CCTS Claim | Max on Koodo Referrals Thread
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
5072 posts
2422 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Dpack22 wrote:
Dec 11th, 2017 10:38 am
I remember when I was going to university in Waterloo, a lot of landlords said they would only take female tenants, and many more would only take oriental tenants. Made it more difficult to find a place to live, but I get the logic that guys are more destructive and asian landlords only want to rent to asian tenants.

Had that happened now I could have taken to social media to voice my displeasure. I'm thankful we live in a time where the white male shouldn't have to face discrimination.
I'm a white female, and I concur. I've seen SO MANY ads where they only want a female tenant it is ridiculous. I guess I'd have an easy time finding a rental if I'm ever in the position of needing to rent again lol.

As far as the intent of the ad, whether people admit it or not - many landlords will select based on race. I guess we just prefer the secretive racists. I've never see caucasians getting a job at any Chinese type restaurants. Not one. I am certain if I were to apply for a job serving tables at one I would not be hired.
[OP]
May 8, 2009
5880 posts
2206 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
Chickinvic wrote:
Dec 14th, 2017 2:47 pm
I'm a white female, and I concur. I've seen SO MANY ads where they only want a female tenant it is ridiculous. I guess I'd have an easy time finding a rental if I'm ever in the position of needing to rent again lol.

As far as the intent of the ad, whether people admit it or not - many landlords will select based on race. I guess we just prefer the secretive racists. I've never see caucasians getting a job at any Chinese type restaurants. Not one. I am certain if I were to apply for a job serving tables at one I would not be hired.
+1
DUCA thread | Simplii Account Linking | Make CCTS Claim | Max on Koodo Referrals Thread
Deal Addict
Aug 23, 2006
3153 posts
204 upvotes
Chickinvic wrote:
Dec 14th, 2017 2:47 pm

And yet when people see White preferred in any ad all hell break loose.
You will never see them. Unless you are in Montreal or Quebec city may be.
“There are some things money can’t buy, and for everything else there’s MasterCard. Well, get out your checkbooks ladies and gentlemen, because it seems like the entire liberal cabinet can be bought. TRUDEAU: I CAN’T BE BOUGHT...LMAO. Because its 2017
Banned
Feb 27, 2012
270 posts
99 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
dollarking wrote:
Dec 14th, 2017 12:56 pm
how can all government position be filled with minorities, if like the word says they are minorities. they make a small portion of the population. do you even read the stuff you type?
Before the offices for the CRA were closed on HWY 10 in Mississauga you'd swear you were in India entering the offices.
[OP]
May 8, 2009
5880 posts
2206 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
user12340 wrote:
Dec 14th, 2017 5:35 pm
Before the offices for the CRA were closed on HWY 10 in Mississauga you'd swear you were in India entering the offices.
Why'd they close 'em? It helped with their minority quotas :lol:
Penalty Box
Apr 26, 2017
159 posts
24 upvotes
not sure how this is considered racist.
i can go on kijiji right now this very second, and find at least 20 'chinese only" or "indian only" ads. so why is it racist for someone to want "white only"?
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2013
1584 posts
465 upvotes
Winnipeg
anvil01 wrote:
Dec 15th, 2017 8:40 am
not sure how this is considered racist.
i can go on kijiji right now this very second, and find at least 20 'chinese only" or "indian only" ads. so why is it racist for someone to want "white only"?
incorrect. the ad does not say "white only". Dont twist the article. There is a difference between this ad and the ones you mentioned in your post.

the ad says "Discount for local white Canadians". if you interpret it for what is says, then other ethnicities will be charged more. Thats where the racism allegation lies.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. -- Douglas Adams
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2007
2774 posts
513 upvotes
GTA
Everyone defending the post saying "Well you have other ads saying "females only" or "indians only", so why can't white people ask for their own/get a discount?" are completely missing the point.
NONE of those ads are in good taste. All the examples are wrong in it's own way. It's flat out discrimination.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2012
3470 posts
365 upvotes
Ottawa
ADRiiAN` wrote:
Dec 15th, 2017 2:08 pm
Everyone defending the post saying "Well you have other ads saying "females only" or "indians only", so why can't white people ask for their own/get a discount?" are completely missing the point.
NONE of those ads are in good taste. All the examples are wrong in it's own way. It's flat out discrimination.
The gender-based ads are not discrimination in the moral or legal sense if it is for a person looking for a roommate. Most females would prefer a female roommate unless they were already friends with an interested male. I think a lot of males would prefer a male roommate too, but are more open to the idea of a female one.