Off Topic

'Completely racist': Rental ad posted online offers discount to 'local white Canadians'

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 17th, 2018 6:24 pm
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2005
6276 posts
233 upvotes
ADRiiAN` wrote:
Dec 15th, 2017 2:08 pm
Everyone defending the post saying "Well you have other ads saying "females only" or "indians only", so why can't white people ask for their own/get a discount?" are completely missing the point.
NONE of those ads are in good taste. All the examples are wrong in it's own way. It's flat out discrimination.
Agreed but I think people are more wondering why those other ads haven't been a problem up until now. Discrimination is discrimination but it wasn't a national news story until someone offered a discount for "whites".
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2011
3461 posts
366 upvotes
GTA
ADRiiAN` wrote:
Everyone defending the post saying "Well you have other ads saying "females only" or "indians only", so why can't white people ask for their own/get a discount?" are completely missing the point.
NONE of those ads are in good taste. All the examples are wrong in it's own way. It's flat out discrimination.
Agree. Informal markets have ways to regulate themselves, when the formal markets are heavily tilted one way (protection).

Ad posters are after the outcomes, and they believed living with their own kind would lead to better outcome, let them choose the means and pay the price for it.

Discrimination protection should really only apply to top line and downside, i.e. jobs, admission, essential services...etc, rest is economy.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2003
6855 posts
839 upvotes
hugh_da_man wrote:
Dec 15th, 2017 2:23 pm
Agreed but I think people are more wondering why those other ads haven't been a problem up until now. Discrimination is discrimination but it wasn't a national news story until someone offered a discount for "whites".
That.

Also...its kinda funny given that most of Hastings in Vancouver is white, for example. I wouldn't exactly say they're my primary choice as a tenant? lol

Being race specific is pointless. What you wanna do is be income specific.

Discriminating based on income and wealth, is both legal and socially acceptable, as well as meaningful when it comes to financial contracts.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
17387 posts
1903 upvotes
Montreal
Buggy166 wrote:
Dec 15th, 2017 5:18 pm
That.

Also...its kinda funny given that most of Hastings in Vancouver is white, for example. I wouldn't exactly say they're my primary choice as a tenant? lol

Being race specific is pointless. What you wanna do is be income specific.

Discriminating based on income and wealth, is both legal and socially acceptable, as well as meaningful when it comes to financial contracts.
If you want to discriminate based on income just raise your rent.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2003
6855 posts
839 upvotes
mr_raider wrote:
Dec 15th, 2017 9:12 pm
bingo Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
29215 posts
1018 upvotes
Fernando Po
Freedom of Association.
"On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” -HL Mencken
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2012
2879 posts
321 upvotes
Ottawa
mr_raider wrote:
Dec 15th, 2017 9:12 pm
If you're going to do that you'd better be sure that it's "worth" what you are charging; a liberal-minded tenancy board could easily find that you're simply doing that to discriminate against poorer minority groups....
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
17387 posts
1903 upvotes
Montreal
ConsoleWatcher wrote:
Dec 16th, 2017 5:53 pm
If you're going to do that you'd better be sure that it's "worth" what you are charging; a liberal-minded tenancy board could easily find that you're simply doing that to discriminate against poorer minority groups....
Well the market will speak. Can't charge high rent if you own a dump. The neighbourhood will set the price.
Dec 15, 2017
226 posts
39 upvotes
Toronto
Dpack22 wrote:
Dec 11th, 2017 10:38 am
I remember when I was going to university in Waterloo, a lot of landlords said they would only take female tenants, and many more would only take oriental tenants. Made it more difficult to find a place to live, but I get the logic that guys are more destructive and asian landlords only want to rent to asian tenants.

Had that happened now I could have taken to social media to voice my displeasure. I'm thankful we live in a time where the white male shouldn't have to face discrimination.
I can vouch that most tenants jumping from place to place are doing that because they are shady and bad apples. 80% of my tenants have been bad apples in the latter days of their stay. References mean nothing, I give good references to inquiring landlords about these bad apples just so they will vacate my rooms.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
27784 posts
1916 upvotes
Winnipeg
titaniumtux wrote:
Dec 14th, 2017 7:54 am
Some of them are. For most people, life goes on.

Actually, they do. Send a "white guy" to Asia, Africa or Latin America, and they'll hand him over the job before considering a local candidate.
china loves white, they are treated like a superior race, and all the women go to length to make their skin whiter.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2004
4117 posts
518 upvotes
Thornhill
titaniumtux wrote:
Dec 11th, 2017 10:24 am
CTV: 'Completely racist': Rental ad posted online offers discount to 'local white Canadians'

The individual who posted the ad sadly did nothing illegal, but their xenophobia is disgusting.

If they really want to filter roommates based on skin colour, then ask for references, let the person visit the flat, and simply don't follow up with candidates you're not interested in.

Now that this individual has made a complete fool of themself, there will likely be social pressure to let in a non-Caucasian roommate, and certainly will be judged harshly if they select a "white roommate".

You people are living under the rock, seriously. You open newspapers from India, Middle East, Eastern European, Asian and you will see a lot of those ads where people are openly asking only certain races to inquire. I get it, I understand it. it's NOT racist in any way to have a preference. One of my friends wanted an Asian girl so they posted an ad and got their perfect tenant. Another couple I know wanted a polish speaking male so they posted up and got one. I've seen quite a few ads specified that it's for Muslim only. Seen ads for gays or lesbians only Seen an ad recently where a Chinese home owner wanted to rent a floor to anyone, except blacks and Indians. It was poorly worded,but I understand why and it doesn't mean they hate those people.

Stop judging others. I learned many years ago. Those who call other people racists and MUCH MUCH MUCH bigger racists.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
27784 posts
1916 upvotes
Winnipeg
LongLiveRFD wrote:
Dec 15th, 2017 2:27 pm
Agree. Informal markets have ways to regulate themselves, when the formal markets are heavily tilted one way (protection).

Ad posters are after the outcomes, and they believed living with their own kind would lead to better outcome, let them choose the means and pay the price for it.

Discrimination protection should really only apply to top line and downside, i.e. jobs, admission, essential services...etc, rest is economy.
what about gender discrimination for vehicle insurance that's so wide spread? you guys are okay with that?
[OP]
May 8, 2009
3187 posts
996 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
divx wrote:
Dec 16th, 2017 8:15 pm
china loves white, they are treated like a superior race, and all the women go to length to make their skin whiter.
+1

This is sadly a serious issue in more than just Asia. Extends to Africa, too.
dazz wrote:
Dec 16th, 2017 8:17 pm

You people are living under the rock, seriously. You open newspapers from India, Middle East, Eastern European, Asian and you will see a lot of those ads where people are openly asking only certain races to inquire. I get it, I understand it. it's NOT racist in any way to have a preference. One of my friends wanted an Asian girl so they posted an ad and got their perfect tenant. Another couple I know wanted a polish speaking male so they posted up and got one. I've seen quite a few ads specified that it's for Muslim only. Seen ads for gays or lesbians only Seen an ad recently where a Chinese home owner wanted to rent a floor to anyone, except blacks and Indians. It was poorly worded,but I understand why and it doesn't mean they hate those people.

Stop judging others. I learned many years ago. Those who call other people racists and MUCH MUCH MUCH bigger racists.
The issue is "special discounts for white people", suggesting that anyone else would pay more.
divx wrote:
Dec 16th, 2017 8:20 pm

what about gender discrimination for vehicle insurance that's so wide spread? you guys are okay with that?
It's understood that men and women are not equal (at least physiologically). If insurance were cheaper for "white people" or cheaper insurance based on skin colour in general, I'd be against that.
Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
Home service reseller internet + FPL + antenna with streaming on smart TV
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
3318 posts
1670 upvotes
divx wrote:
Dec 16th, 2017 8:20 pm

titaniumtux wrote:
Dec 16th, 2017 8:26 pm

It's understood that men and women are not equal (at least physiologically). If insurance were cheaper for "white people" or cheaper insurance based on skin colour in general, I'd be against that.
Modern day science supports this...

Women mature earlier than men
And the accepted date when the adult brain reaches maturity is 25
Men are for more apt to risky behaviour...

So add it all together and it is exactly why men younger than 25 pay so much more for car insurance

Now if suddenly there was a change in the behaviour of women & risk taking
You can be sure that the Insurance Cos would raise women’s rates to those of the men drivers under 25

Consequently, it is not Gender Descrimination per se...
Penalty Box
Apr 26, 2017
160 posts
21 upvotes
ADRiiAN` wrote:
if thats the case then why hasnt' news outlets picked up on the "indian only" or "Chinese only" ads?
lmao! white ppl get drilled when they do anything, even whhen they want their own kind for their aprtments or basements. and guess what - this is coming from someone WHO ISNT WHITE