Off Topic

'Completely racist': Rental ad posted online offers discount to 'local white Canadians'

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 17th, 2018 6:24 pm
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
15588 posts
2019 upvotes
Toronto
hagbard wrote:
Dec 16th, 2017 5:44 pm
Freedom of Association.
Only if you don't charge. Businesses have rules to follow, and racial discrimination by a business isn't allowed.
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2005
7115 posts
240 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote:
Dec 16th, 2017 9:44 pm
Modern day science supports this...

Women mature earlier than men
And the accepted date when the adult brain reaches maturity is 25
Men are for more apt to risky behaviour...

So add it all together and it is exactly why men younger than 25 pay so much more for car insurance

Now if suddenly there was a change in the behaviour of women & risk taking
You can be sure that the Insurance Cos would raise women’s rates to those of the men drivers under 25

Consequently, it is not Gender Descrimination per se...
Sounds a lot like gender discrimination. Some men are more mature than women their age. They are being discriminated against because they're being lumped in with others of the same gender.

That being said, what's to stop someone from identifying as a woman on the day they're signing up for their insurance? Gender is fluid they say. You're a man every day except the few hours you're filling out your application for insurance.
[OP]
May 8, 2009
6719 posts
2919 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
hugh_da_man wrote:
Dec 18th, 2017 12:11 pm
Sounds a lot like gender discrimination. Some men are more mature than women their age. They are being discriminated against because they're being lumped in with others of the same gender.

That being said, what's to stop someone from identifying as a woman on the day they're signing up for their insurance? Gender is fluid they say. You're a man every day except the few hours you're filling out your application for insurance.
:lol:

I would imagine the insurance company would have some sort of rule against that.
eBay profile| Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
DUCA thread | Simplii Account Linking | Make CCTS Claim | Max on Koodo Referrals Thread
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2005
7115 posts
240 upvotes
titaniumtux wrote:
Dec 18th, 2017 12:17 pm
:lol:

I would imagine the insurance company would have some sort of rule against that.
I don't know, I think the insurance companies are going to have to stop worrying about gender at some point as gender identity is now protected in the charter. As a private business you're allowed to discriminate to some degree but I think if they insisted on calling a man who has transitioned to being a woman, male, they'd be guilty of a hate crime and private businesses aren't protected in that case.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
5544 posts
3130 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
hugh_da_man wrote:
Dec 18th, 2017 12:11 pm

Such a weak argument... this transgender sarcasm / hate

Gender is NOT FLUID as you describe it

One is a M, F, or X

Not M on Monday, and F on Wednesday, and back to M on Friday just on a whim

To describe it as such just shows how little you know about the Transgender population
Educate yourself
Don’t make a mockery of things you know nothing about
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2011
4484 posts
770 upvotes
GTA
divx wrote:
Dec 16th, 2017 8:20 pm
what about gender discrimination for vehicle insurance that's so wide spread? you guys are okay with that?
That's not a deprivation of fundamental human rights to be denied insurance.
1. Insurance prices risks based on evidence.
2. Driving implies liabilities and severe losses, yourself or other
3. Driving is not a right, but a privilege.

To deny assessment because you are male, that's an offence.

On dating profiles, someone states age range, religious or racial criteria, is that an offence?

To me that's private matters, outsiders should have no say.
Penalty Box
Mar 20, 2009
1285 posts
186 upvotes
Toronto
Chickinvic wrote:
Dec 14th, 2017 2:47 pm
I've never see caucasians getting a job at any Chinese type restaurants. Not one. I am certain if I were to apply for a job serving tables at one I would not be hired.
In Etobicoke, not far from Doug Fords's mamas house is a Chinese food take out place called Mayflower.
It is a family owned business that i've visited since the late 80's (great food).
While the majority of workers are Chinese, they have had many non-Chinese working the kitchen and the order table. I think it's the only place I've seen like that. I always wondered what was up with that.
[OP]
May 8, 2009
6719 posts
2919 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
shikotee wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 6:08 pm
In Etobicoke, not far from Doug Fords's mamas house is a Chinese food take out place called Mayflower.
It is a family owned business that i've visited since the late 80's (great food).
While the majority of workers are Chinese, they have had many non-Chinese working the kitchen and the order table. I think it's the only place I've seen like that. I always wondered what was up with that.
Works for them. No one is complaining.

There's a Chinese-owned local bakery near our home where I saw a Caucasian working for them. Nothing wrong with that.
DUCA thread | Simplii Account Linking | Make CCTS Claim | Max on Koodo Referrals Thread
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2010
1224 posts
591 upvotes
Moon
How is this racist? I see ads excluding white people at the time and liberals tell me those ads are not racist.
Penalty Box
Mar 20, 2009
1285 posts
186 upvotes
Toronto
titaniumtux wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 6:46 pm
Works for them. No one is complaining.

There's a Chinese-owned local bakery near our home where I saw a Caucasian working for them. Nothing wrong with that.
I wonder though - would people complain about a Chinese food place that was run entirely by white people?
It would certainly, I expect, throw people off.
I think people would be open to it now, but in previous decades, I expect some would look down on it as "unauthentic". Which is kinda funny, given that Chinese food is not the kinda food people eat in China.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2009
6479 posts
3604 upvotes
So I guess anyone with a hijab not apply?
[OP]
May 8, 2009
6719 posts
2919 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
shikotee wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 7:17 pm
I wonder though - would people complain about a Chinese food place that was run entirely by white people?
It would certainly, I expect, throw people off.
I think people would be open to it now, but in previous decades, I expect some would look down on it as "unauthentic". Which is kinda funny, given that Chinese food is not the kinda food people eat in China.
The Chinese food here is all Cantonese from HK. Even Chinese from other regions serve HK dishes here because that's what sells.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1111 posts
148 upvotes
Markham, ON
For all you know, the landlord or people working for that landlord is super smart and posted the same advertisement with a slight change on different advertisement platform and the news reporter never found out.

For example, on website one I say I want north american tenants only. On website two I say I want resident Canadian only.

The important thing is getting my rental property rented. I just generated some buzz on the internet!
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
4395 posts
1114 upvotes
Winnipeg
Tons of ads on kijji...asking for east Indian or Asian and also male or female
Jan 26, 2018
13 posts
4 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote:
Dec 16th, 2017 9:44 pm
Modern day science supports this...

Women mature earlier than men
And the accepted date when the adult brain reaches maturity is 25
Men are for more apt to risky behaviour...

So add it all together and it is exactly why men younger than 25 pay so much more for car insurance

Now if suddenly there was a change in the behaviour of women & risk taking
You can be sure that the Insurance Cos would raise women’s rates to those of the men drivers under 25

Consequently, it is not Gender Descrimination per se...
So does modern day science support the fact that men live shorter lives then women? Shouldn't women pay more CPP than men since overall they will get more money from CPP?

Funny how "science" is used to defend men paying higher rates than women but if the same principle is applied to women it is called gender discrimination.