• Last Updated:
  • Jun 19th, 2018 1:00 am
7 replies
Jul 23, 2015
501 posts
231 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
Read and watched several videos about them, seem like a great idea...but need something for liquid waste, which depending on location can be very easy (like if used at a cottage - not with nearby neighbours). Check out Gone With the Wynns review.
Nov 20, 2006
18 posts
Yellowknife
We used a Sunmar for a few years. It worked, but not well. The model we had was rated for 2-3 adults but the reality was it might keep up for a weekend but not 7 days a week. I would strongly suggest finding or making one that separates the liquids from the solids. They mix in the Sunmar design and it gets nasty. The screen in the bottom where the liquids are suppose to go through will plug up and you end up with very wet and smelly compost. There is a heating element built into the bottom that is suppose to speed up the evaporation of the liquids but in our experience it couldn't keep up. How many people will be using it on a regular basis?
Apr 24, 2018
4 posts
4 upvotes
I heard that the rotors can come on with no motion or reason...and they are loud. I would buy the very best on the market, so you only have to do it once.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2013
8545 posts
302 upvotes
Arctic Donkey wrote:
Apr 25th, 2018 8:44 pm
We used a Sunmar for a few years. It worked, but not well. The model we had was rated for 2-3 adults but the reality was it might keep up for a weekend but not 7 days a week. I would strongly suggest finding or making one that separates the liquids from the solids. They mix in the Sunmar design and it gets nasty. The screen in the bottom where the liquids are suppose to go through will plug up and you end up with very wet and smelly compost. There is a heating element built into the bottom that is suppose to speed up the evaporation of the liquids but in our experience it couldn't keep up. How many people will be using it on a regular basis?
Just during weekends every summer. A couple of families and some friends. 12+ people.

After doing a little more research, I dont think this is for us.
Diversity Is Our Strength 😎
Nov 20, 2006
18 posts
Yellowknife
It won't be able to deal with that many people. I don't know what is allowed in your area but a septic system or possibly a pump out system. Is water available on the property?
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2007
1084 posts
499 upvotes
Ottawa
Echo the thought that you have too many people.

BTW, a lot of composting toilets have a bad reputation (smell...) which is based on imperfect evaporation of liquids. There are more expensive models now available that separate liquids and solids; I don't have experience with them, but I have heard they are loads (har...) better. One example is http://separett.ca/ca/toilets
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2013
8545 posts
302 upvotes
Arctic Donkey wrote:
Jun 11th, 2018 9:45 pm
It won't be able to deal with that many people. I don't know what is allowed in your area but a septic system or possibly a pump out system. Is water available on the property?
No not yet right now we are transporting water using an IBC Tank.

Once we get a permit we should have water available.
Diversity Is Our Strength 😎

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)