Computers & Electronics

CompuSmart, NCIX, what else do you miss from the olden days?

  • Last Updated:
  • Feb 27th, 2020 9:54 am
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 14, 2007
15034 posts
2104 upvotes
Scarborough / Markha…
coriolis wrote: Pacific Mall also had 4 or 5 computer stores, I remember a friend buying a $600 video card in high school and said how it'll last him for life.
Your friend predicted they'd have a short life Face Screaming In Fear

Fond memories of the small P mall CC locations. People cramming inside to get their hands on parts. Then I remember they had 2 units on different ends of the mall at one point in time.

It got so busy I used to go to the computer store next to CC, sunny computers (Archived site: https://web.archive.org/web/20060427075 ... uters.com/ )IIRC.

Also RIP Tigerdirect Canada in 2019.
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
12175 posts
1684 upvotes
Kanata
In Ottawa, I miss these places:

PC Cyber
Crawford Microsystems (seemed to be the cheapest place to get AMD K6-2 processors for a while)
Somerset Computers
OEM Express/Kash Computers

I also miss the Monitor! magazine, it was the monthly local PC retailer advertising magazine/flyer.

NCIX was always the Wednesday evening entertainment. Would wait for their sales to appear, and the subsequent RFD thread about it.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 3, 2006
4218 posts
775 upvotes
Matrixvibe wrote: I used to go to the computer store next to CC, sunny computers
Sunny was good. My rotation, in order, was Infonec, Canada Computers, Signa and Sunny.
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 14, 2007
15034 posts
2104 upvotes
Scarborough / Markha…
Mulder and Scully wrote: Sunny was good. My rotation, in order, was Infonec, Canada Computers, Signa and Sunny.
ahh Infonec, I've only been there once and it was to buy a Core i7 920 and a 3x2GB OCZ DDR3 gold ram kit.
Sr. Member
Feb 15, 2007
886 posts
156 upvotes
Pickering
All the stores that used to be within a 5-10 minute walk from College and Spadina. Filtech was a personal favourite there.

Also the Computer Paper as previously mentioned.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
31336 posts
5540 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
goofball wrote: In Ottawa, I miss these places:

PC Cyber
Crawford Microsystems (seemed to be the cheapest place to get AMD K6-2 processors for a while)
Somerset Computers
OEM Express/Kash Computers
You forgot a few

Sprint
Tolga
Bedford
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 25, 2005
1394 posts
327 upvotes
Kitchener
NCIS was the best when they had zero tax for Ontario since they had no stores here. They also had great boxing Day deals back then. Win-win. Then it all went down hill once they moved into Ontario.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2012
5361 posts
751 upvotes
Ottawa
SomeGuyGG wrote: NCIS was the best when they had zero tax for Ontario since they had no stores here. They also had great boxing Day deals back then. Win-win. Then it all went down hill once they moved into Ontario.
I remember using DirectCanada (a NCIX subsidiary, I think) to buy computer parts here in Ottawa before Canadacomputers came in. For small (light) orders, you could pay $10 to have them delivered next-day delivery from BC by airmail, and saved paying the PST.
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
2453 posts
1339 upvotes
There were shops on Queen, I think, downtown, which were filled with old computer stuff. I picked up like 10 IBM Model M keyboards for like $5-$10 each. If you wanted to learn how to practice soldering, there were all sorts of old boards you could buy. It was neat sometimes going and seeing what doohickey you could buy. That all disappeared as the condo build-out went crazy and higher value retail filled the locations.

That, and I miss Chris Sheppard, the radio DJ, and his show, remixes, etc.

Yonge just isn't the same without the random porno shops. Never went into any (mostly too young and not really interested), of course, but it was just part of the big Toronto vibe.

There were also some ethnic computer shops on Yonge. I just recently retired a 15" LCD screen I bought from one (Samsung 570V), and I remember comparing like 3 or 4 stores and being glad that I saved $50 (ie: $550 down to $500!).

I bought a lot of stuff from Razor Computers in Scarborough too. They had good prices, decent selection of higher-end stuff, and had no problem working with their suppliers to get me anything I wanted.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2003
3213 posts
1250 upvotes
I recall Bigfoot Computers used to have some great deals. I remember ordering from them before NCIX. I also remember introducing my summer job boss (who opened a small computer repair store) to NCIX and he even started buying from them because they had lower advertised prices than his suppliers did Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes

Robotnik used to have some great deals (I believe they're still around but not sure if still selling parts). There was another good one in Halifax as well but I can't recall the name of the place. Might have been Mysterybyte. Ordered my first PC from them - Cyrix P166+ lmao.

One place I loved going into because of how bad their prices were was Computer Renaissance. Holy cow the rip offs! I recall I had to get them to order a 4MB memory module for my Matrox Mystique video card (thinking it would make Quake run faster). Cost me more than $200 and a few days later, saw GL-Quake running on a Diamond Monster 3D add on card which costs less than the 4MB module I ordered. Man was I pissed.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Jun 27, 2004
12008 posts
1641 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
burnt69 wrote: That, and I miss Chris Sheppard, the radio DJ, and his show, remixes, etc.
So cool and so ahead of the times that he had not one, but two manbuns.
manbun.jpg

.
txenglan wrote: One place I loved going into because of how bad their prices were was Computer Renaissance. Holy cow the rip offs! I recall I had to get them to order a 4MB memory module for my Matrox Mystique video card (thinking it would make Quake run faster). Cost me more than $200 and a few days later, saw GL-Quake running on a Diamond Monster 3D add on card which costs less than the 4MB module I ordered. Man was I pissed.
Can I interest you in a 3dfx Voodoo 5 PCI card for $800?
https://vancouver.craigslist.org/van/so ... 15754.html
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
1695 posts
863 upvotes
Calgary
txenglan wrote: Omg! I recall dreaming of having one of those. I thought they actually didn't even release them Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
It was the 6000 that wasn't released. The 5500 model was.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2003
3213 posts
1250 upvotes
Devhux wrote: It was the 6000 that wasn't released. The 5500 model was.
Sounds familiar. IIRC, the card was also incredibly long and most people couldn't fit it in their case.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 28, 2004
1486 posts
206 upvotes
rabbit wrote: Can I interest you in a 3dfx Voodoo 5 PCI card for $800?
https://vancouver.craigslist.org/van/so ... 15754.html
Works perfectly with any modern motherboard with a PCI slot.
Today's motherboards don't even come with a PCI slot anymore. I think I haven't seen one on a new motherboard probably in 10 years, which is hardly modern.

Top