• Last Updated:
  • Apr 7th, 2012 2:15 am
Tags:
None
Nov 5, 2003
265 posts
69 upvotes

Computer Build Help

Hi folks. Any help would be great. Below is what I've picked out, but I'm not entirely sure why. What a build that is faster then my old athlon 64 X2. I want to be able to play Diablo 3. And I would like to have room in the case/board to upgrade.

Questions:
1. is this good board or is there something better and upgradeable for not a lot more cash.
2. any parts I should swap?
3. is windows7 premium worth the extra $20?
4. is there any value to me putting in two GTX 550TIs when Diablo is as tough as I'll get.
5. is there a case/PSU you would recommend (I want usb3 w/ case)
6. do I need some sort of cooler/fan system?

Here's what I've got so far:
Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
**CPU** | [Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor $209.99
**Motherboard** | [Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard | $109.49 n NCIX
**Memory** | [Patriot Gamer 2 Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory | $34.99
**Hard Drive** | [Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk]( | $139.99 n
**Hard Drive** | [Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive] (thought I saw a $992TB version sale| $99.49
**Video Card** | [Gigabyte GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB Video Card| $89.99
**Operating System** | [Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (64-bit) | $139.99
| | **Total**
|
$823.93
| Generated 2012-04-06 17:55 EDT-0400 |

Thanks for any help!
1 reply
Dec 28, 2006
142 posts
59 upvotes
North York
1. Well this question is hard for me to answer since I've never used this actual model. But I've used Gigabyte boards in previous builds and they've been pretty solid. Seems to come with enough features for
a decent price. I would definitely recommend the board I'm currently using though. (Check my sig) I was actually going to get the extreme4, but the store was out of stock. I've had no issues with the extreme3, so it's all good.
2. I would recommend a different GPU. Instead of going with 2 GTX 550TI's, I'd go for a better single card solution. It all depends on your budget and how much you're willing to spend.
3. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/wind ... ts/compare (Depends on what features you need)
4. Well you'd essentially be paying $200 for two 550ti's which I personally wouldn't do. If I were you I'd get the best single card solution I could afford. You may even want to consider picking up a used 6950-6970 for around $200.
5. Are you planning on overclocking? Because if not, you don't really need to worry about heat or airflow too much. So I'd go with something that looks good aesthetically. If you just want something cheap with decent looks, the Antec 300 is
good for the price.
6. I personally never use the oem cooler, but if you're not planning on overclocking your CPU it should be fine. Aftermarket coolers can be had for pretty cheap these days, so it may be worth considering since less heat is always good. (I got my Cooler Master 212 Hyper EVO for about $20 on sale)

A lot of these questions are very subjective, and there are quite a few factors in determining what parts to buy for a new build. It would be helpful if you gave some extra information; such as, if you plan on overclocking, like to play games with maxed out settings/full eye candy, budget, etc.