None
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
7312 posts
1672 upvotes
Toronto

Computer/electronic Brands that use to command respect but not so much now

Sony: I think they were at it's zenith with Trinitron and walkmans
Zenith: Used to see them alot on cunsumer TVs and VCRs, not sure if they were every considered as a top brand
Texas Instruments: Not sure if they ever went into consumer goods, but I do recall see more adverts for their chips 15-20 years ago. They are still a very respectable company, but maybe not as well known to the end consumer as it used to be.
ABIT: 100% overclock on a celeron 300a using an ABIT motherboard, are they still around?
3dfx: Not sure if that was the company name, their vodoo1/2 stuff was pretty good at the time, now they are no more.
Matrox: Was competitive with the best video cards up till around late 90's/ early 2000s, now they just make specialty video cards supporting multiple displays, I think the recent ATI cards supporting 3+ displays is putting the hurt on them now.
Transmeta: lots of hype around their CPU, but the end product was not too competitive with Intel, running native code on the transmeta CPU was supposed to be much faster, however their CPUs never gained anough market share to deserve serious effort into writing native OS/programs.
IBM: At the very least they lost alot of recognition due to them selling the thinkpad line to lenovo. Their Apex was when the Power PC CPU first launched 15 years ago, lots of hype about x86 being at the doorstep of death.
I workout to get big so I can pickup bricks and ****.
4 replies
Deal Guru
May 29, 2006
10930 posts
3663 upvotes
IBM is a server beast, they dont belong on this list due to that alone.
Jan 28, 2007
876 posts
68 upvotes
IBM is still one of the biggest HR staffing companies in the world (probably THE biggest right now). Just because they switched from making PCs to other ventures doesn't mean they should lose respect :)
Aug 24, 2009
116 posts
16 upvotes
Ottawa
rocking23nf wrote: IBM is a server beast, they dont belong on this list due to that alone.
Isn't IBM in all three of current gen consoles?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2006
7742 posts
399 upvotes
Scarborough
Sanyo used to be a good brand.
Toshiba used to have great tv's.
Kenwood used to be killer for sound systems.
Zenith used to be 'low to mid range' equipment.
Texas Instrument used to make calculators.
Casio used to be HUGE in many fields, don't see them much any more.
Timex you used to find at EVERY department store, now, you see less and less of them.
Gateway was very famous for their cow boxes... now, they aren't.
Bell, Rogers, Telus - each used to be 'loved' but now most people hate them for over charges, ripping people off etc.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)