Computers & Electronics

Computer freezes, sometimes bluescreens when running specific applications and just idling

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 12th, 2016 1:55 am
Jun 7, 2007
874 posts
159 upvotes
Vancouver

Computer freezes, sometimes bluescreens when running specific applications and just idling

Lately I have been having issues with my computer freezing or bluescreening when I run specific applications. The two main programs that I see this happen 99% of the time is uPlay and watching a YouTube video. The computer crashes whenever I attempt to download, update a game inside the uPlay application. Other than that, if i just have the application idling, the computer is completely fine. For YouTube, similar thing, on the homepage it is fine. After watching a video for a couple of minutes, the whole computer freezes and I am forced to press the reset button.

The only workaround I have found so far is if I go into safemode I can do these sort of updates and youtube doesn't crash at all. I get the feeling it is some sort of driver issue but according to device manager, there doesn't seem to be any problems. So far the problem seems to only be isolated two incidents.

Things that I have tried:

Uninstalled adobe flash and disabled hardware acceleration
disabled all startup applications from msconfig
Ran computer on only 1 stick at a time as well switched the slot positions
Memtest
Prime 95 with Furmark to test if it might be a load issue with the psu or temp issue with either the cpu/gpu
Uninstalled and wiped previous drivers from computer before installing brand new ones and older versions
Scanned computer usual anti virus as well a few anti-malware applications (adwcleaner, combofix, jrt and rkill)
Reset bios settings to default
Attempted to up the cpu and ram voltage.

Anybody have any clues? Greatly appreciated!

I assume my computer specs might be required so just in case:

Intel i53570k
Asus P8Z77-VLK
Patriot Black mamba 8Gb (2x4Gb) @1.5V
Asus AMD 7870
Samsung 850 Evo for O.S
WD Black for Storage
PSNID: xMichio
6 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38385 posts
12009 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
You tested the memory, the only thing I suggest is removing the video card and using the onboard video to see if the problem goes away.

If it still persists, then try replacing the power supply
Banned
Nov 10, 2016
12 posts
2 upvotes
when blue screen next time, try to record or take a photo of the screen to get the error code. That will help.
Try to clean your computer.
Promotion Coordinator for Rogers Communications
Current Hot Rogers Deal - $99 - Gigabyte Speed Unlimited Internet + TV
$60 - Ignite 100u
Don't forget to hit the upvote button if I've helped. Have a Great Day!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 4, 2009
6575 posts
726 upvotes
The bsod might tell you which module malfunctioned, and it'll be far easier than just guessing at the problem. Why would anyone not read the bsod info then just ask a generic question about what went wrong?

Or perhaps the OP would like to go through the windows logs instead?
Sep 9, 2015
316 posts
125 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
Your Mobo is from 2012-2013? Rumour has it mobos made in the past few years have has issues with faulty capacitors. Friend has the exact same situation as you. Watching YouTube or had a windows document open and boss/random restarts happened.

Guy worked at best buy, brought his machine in for testing w/ on psu, ram, etc, nothing. Alternated gpu cards (2x 660's) on different computers same problem with the one Mobo.

Isolated the problem to either Mobo or psu, but because the psu was new and his company's diagnostics came out negative, all things pointed to the Mobo.

Swap out the motherboard with something more recent (2015 onwards) and hopefully the problem is fixed. Might need a new windows key though (if you're into that)